Menu

Need help with cleaning wood furniture

We just picked up ds's desk from storage, and it is covered with dirt, dust, and some mold. Dh thinks we should just wipe it down with vinegar, but I don't want to ruin the wood. It is stained, not painted, and it does not have any polyurethane or any other type coating. It is a good, solid wood desk, not particle board or other "cheap" stuff.

Anyone have experience cleaning something like this?

We just picked up ds's desk from storage, and it is covered with dirt, dust, and some mold. Dh thinks we should just wipe it down with vinegar, but I don't want to ruin the wood. It is stained, not painted, and it does not have any polyurethane or any other type coating. It is a good, solid wood desk, not particle board or other "cheap" stuff.

Anyone have experience cleaning something like this?

Yes! I'd hit the wood w/ a mildewcide first, to kill the mold spores that may have spawned inside the wood, as well. (The mold is going more damage than a mildewcide will do.) You can get it at any janitorial supply center, and specifically request "mildewcide". Not bleach. ;)

Then, take a look at this product: Restor-A-Finish.

I've stripped and fully restored a number of projects, but just recently, I cleaned up three old pieces of furniture using this stuff. One of the pieces is only about 30 years old. Another is probably closer to 40. The third is... mmm, from the late 1950's, I'm guessing. (I'll link them, below.) I've been very pleased with the results from this stuff, and plan to use is on three more pieces we have, awaiting some attention (an antique tea cart, an old corner hutch, and a 1940's-era office desk). The description you gave of your piece sounds like this would work just fine on it. We've picked it up at both Home Depot, and at the local hardware store (fwiw, the hardware store had a better selection of wood tones!)

30-y.o. desk

Old coffee table

Restored office chair

• 10 months later...
Guest bestmum08

How about for wooden furniture with reddish stains (might be wine stains)? I bought this old wood chair and wooden table online. A friend suggested that I should try bleaching it, will this work? I don't want to loose its color and quality.