Menu

Do you have a desire to travel abroad?

Ann.without.an.e

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, three months in an apartment in a lovely city sounds so much more fun than a week of rushing about waiting in lines. My vibe these days is much more about lingering in a place and eating local food than it is about visiting crowded famous places. 

Traveling is a skill—learning how to figure out public transport and grocery stores and money and doing what you need to politely in a foreign language is all something that becomes easier with practice—most countries all follow the same general patterns—-but it’s also nice to linger someplace when you finally have it all sorted out.

IMO, a lot of places have become too crowded and too diluted to be enjoyable. I am sick of seeing McDonalds and Starbucks and Sephora on every corner no matter where I am in the world. 

This might be why we loved Italy so much.  A friend and I went to visit a friend of mine that lives in a small village.  We spend 4 of our days there just hanging out with her, walking to the town square, going to the grocery store, chatting, etc.  

We did go to Cinque Terre but even there we stayed in Corniglia in a house half way up the hillside so very private and we took things slow and easy and spent an extra hour in the morning just sitting on the patio vs rushing to see/do everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes, three months in an apartment in a lovely city sounds so much more fun than a week of rushing about waiting in lines. My vibe these days is much more about lingering in a place and eating local food than it is about visiting crowded famous places. 

Traveling is a skill—learning how to figure out public transport and grocery stores and money and doing what you need to politely in a foreign language is all something that becomes easier with practice—most countries all follow the same general patterns—-but it’s also nice to linger someplace when you finally have it all sorted out.

IMO, a lot of places have become too crowded and too diluted to be enjoyable. I am sick of seeing McDonalds and Starbucks and Sephora on every corner no matter where I am in the world. 

Ugh. Truth. I have heard nothing but how I’m spending way too long in Seoul - 12 days.  A LOT of suggested itineraries cover 4-5 cities in that time.  Which I guess many people with FOMO think are great. But I have zero interest in that even though I am a sleep when you’re dead kind of traveler. (Vs my husband who wants to sleep in and have a scheduled nap time. Lol) I don’t mind getting 40k in steps a day. But I want it to be enjoyable steps seeing places and things and eating foods that I can’t at home.  I like to see some of the famous places but I research to do them when they aren’t busy.

I’m sad but also a bit gladdened at how some tourist sites have started to limit visitors. It’s sad when the bad apples ruin it for everyone but I’m glad the places are deciding to not put up with it anymore too. I hope those places don’t become completely closed to travelers entirely though. 

OP is it an option to view your travel with sister as just a happy take along? I have a friend who only travels like that. She’s awesome fun but any planning and arranging and driving and so forth stresses her out.  But she loves hanging out with us anywhere we are and is a snacks to share packing backseat princess. And that’s awesome sauce.  Traveling doesn’t have to mean you are gung-ho to race everywhere and plan everything.  Sometimes we travel just as much for the camaraderie and making memories together as the location. It’s pretty fabulous to share coffee with people you love or new friends anywhere in the world imo. 

• Like 3