Menu

New work wwyd

saraha

Last weekend, jerk guy was out on a tour when boss lady came up. She had a stack of last month’s daily sales sheets and set them on the desk and told me to tell jerk guy that the treasurer wants him to go through the stack and figure out the discrepancies. Then she leaves. So of course I go through the stack to see if there are any errors on the days I did the closing paperwork. I find 1 where I made a simple math error, but the rest of the incorrect sheets are all signed by him. I set the stack aside and let him know what boss lady said, when he comes back from tour. I don’t say anything else or mention I’ve gone through paperwork, I just play clueless messenger, then go out on next tour.

When I come back from tour, it’s obvious he’s going through stack, as he should. I busy myself, avoiding him as much as possible and for sure not asking about paperwork. He comes and finds me and wants to tell me about this paperwork, telling me that he found all the mistakes. I don’t think he knows I went through it already. He says there is one sheet where I made a math error and that the rest (signed by him) were mistakes made by Wednesday guy. He makes fun of Wednesday guy for a minute, and says something like he’s going to have to stop letting Wednesday guy do paperwork. I just shrug and carry on with what I’m doing. I then hear him call treasurer and blame Wednesday guy for all the errors, and there were like 6 daily sheets out of 20 that had errors. I didn’t cross reference the dates with days Wednesday guy works, but there are only 4 Wednesdays in a month, so they couldn’t all be his, besides, Wednesday guy did not sign off on a single daily sheet, all were signed by me or jerk guy.

Would you say anything to Wednesday guy? Warn him that jerk guy is blaming him for his mistakes? Saying anything to boss lady absolutely does no good, she has demonstrated that she would rather have jerk guy then address all the concerns I have brought up, including the time card theft, so I have stopped reporting those things to her.

thanks

Say nothing. Boss lady has made her allegiance known and any attempts to rock the boat will backfire on you. Wednesday guy likely already knows this dude is a jerk. My gut sense is that any disruptive chemistry between coworkers is going to hit everyone but jerk guy first. Dont put your job at risk until you have a better one.

• Like 7

I agree with saying nothing. Though honestly at this point I’d feel undue stress from the jerk & be looking for another job. You have enough stress going on in your life to stay with it. 

ETA: I would definitely include in my written notice that his lying, unprofessional demeanor, and anger make it too stressful to work there and are the reason for leaving and that you’d consider coming back when he no longer works there. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 3

Yeah, dh and I decided that unless something huge changes I won’t be returning next season, which stinks. With the support of boss lady, I had reached out to Girl Scouts and formed a partnership, planned a workshop for next spring, designed a girl scout focused tour, done a ton of research for new products to carry in gift shop, coordinated our new summer lunch and learn series, some really cool things for next season, so quitting will make me sad. Those parts of my job I love, and giving tours of course. And that it’s weekends only, and seasonal. I won’t be able to find another unicorn like this, but  it is getting to me for sure. Two weeks ago, he wanted to close down early again (against boss lady’s repeated requests we not do that) but I said I was staying til 5 like I always do because I come there to get paid. His response was to say, we’ll just go and you can write down you stayed til 5. I said nope, not doing that, that feels like stealing, but if you want to leave early, I’ll be fine here. He was grumpy about it, but we stayed til 5 🙄

Luckily he has Wednesday guy covering for him this weekend so I dont have to work with him. I really like Wednesday guy and dont get to work with him very much at all, so I’m looking forward to it. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Katy said:

I agree with saying nothing. Though honestly at this point I’d feel undue stress from the jerk & be looking for another job. You have enough stress going on in your life to stay with it. 

ETA: I would definitely include in my written notice that his lying, unprofessional demeanor, and anger make it too stressful to work there and are the reason for leaving and that you’d consider coming back when he no longer works there. 

I had told dh I was thinking about writing a letter, but unless boss lady shared it to the board, no one would see it. It would stop with her. The thing is, the letter would finger her too, because i reported all of this stuff to her and she chose not to address it. I don’t know anyone personally on the board, I’ve never been invited to a board meeting. I’m still going to do it though. He is going to ruin that place, I know it. Our biggest tour company that comes wants nothing to do with him, preferring to work with me or Wednesday guy, and our newest tour company has canceled next seasons tours, again because of him. It’s so weird, he is a really great tour guide, people seem genuinely happy with him, but he is a terrible manager. 

• Like 2

If you say anything to boss lady, maybe something casual like, “You know that if he tries to pin this on Wednesday Guy that it’s a crock, right?” 

2 hours ago, saraha said:

I had told dh I was thinking about writing a letter, but unless boss lady shared it to the board, no one would see it. It would stop with her. The thing is, the letter would finger her too, because i reported all of this stuff to her and she chose not to address it. I don’t know anyone personally on the board, I’ve never been invited to a board meeting. I’m still going to do it though. He is going to ruin that place, I know it. Our biggest tour company that comes wants nothing to do with him, preferring to work with me or Wednesday guy, and our newest tour company has canceled next seasons tours, again because of him. It’s so weird, he is a really great tour guide, people seem genuinely happy with him, but he is a terrible manager. 

I would consider sending it to the board. If he is going to ruin the place, but boss lady is dragging her feet because you don’t want his job, and she hasn’t found a replacement, they need to know.

If it dies, it’s not because of you; it’s in spite of your efforts.

It would also be awesome if someone nice got his job so that you could go back!

• Like 3

I know the name of the treasurer, so I could probably find contact information on her. Going around boss lady would be the end of my job for sure, but in some ways, even though it wouldn’t benefit me, it would feel good to shine a light on some things. 

I was talking to dh and his suggestion was to give boss lady a letter saying I wouldn’t be back if the management doesn’t change and I would be available for an exit interview if anyone wants to discuss it.

Edited by saraha

If I was Wednesday guy I’d want to know if I was being thrown under the bus. You heard it firsthand from the jerk, so if you give Wednesday guy a heads up, he can choose to address it or not. He could tell jerk guy that he’d heard he made mistakes and ask to see the papers so he can learn from his mistakes. Which of course jerk guy can;t show him because it doesn’t exist.  Or he could ignore it altogether. But either way, as Wednesday guy I’d want to know.  I’d be upset if I was called in and fired because I’d been thrown under the bus multiple times and my coworker knew but didn’t tell me. 
I guess I see it as standing up for a kid being bullied.  And bullies/liars don’t stop the behavior if they’re not called on it.  Your boss is a real jerk, too. That’s too bad since you enjoy the job. 

• Like 4