Menu

Document reader for students with dyslexia

Shelydon

My high school age DS has used learning ally for the past 8 years, but now we need something that can read documents like PDF and worksheets for one of his classes. I am looking at speechify. But I want to make sure there isn't something free available for us

Microsoft puts out products if you have that on your computer.      I have used One Note, in which you can upload a document.  With that document open,  on the View tab at the top, click Immersive Reader just under the View title.  Your document opens in another window.  It will look  a little different and there are options to follow along at the right top.  But if you scroll to the bottom, there will be a green circle/play button.  Press that and your document will be read.  The settings button lets you change voice speed.

Microsoft explains more here about other tools, I think added as extensions, which I have not tried yet: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/learning-tools?ef_id=_k_EAIaIQobChMImavE6fOziAMVcA-tBh2oSwdsEAAYASAAEgJJYfD_BwE_k_&OCID=AIDcmmf9ba61yr_SEM__k_EAIaIQobChMImavE6fOziAMVcA-tBh2oSwdsEAAYASAAEgJJYfD_BwE_k_&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImavE6fOziAMVcA-tBh2oSwdsEAAYASAAEgJJYfD_BwE

Or I am sure you can find more tutorials on Youtube.  I hope this helps!

22 minutes ago, ***** said:

Microsoft puts out products if you have that on your computer.      I have used One Note, in which you can upload a document.  With that document open,  on the View tab at the top, click Immersive Reader just under the View title.  Your document opens in another window.  It will look  a little different and there are options to follow along at the right top.  But if you scroll to the bottom, there will be a green circle/play button.  Press that and your document will be read.  The settings button lets you change voice speed.

Microsoft explains more here about other tools, I think added as extensions, which I have not tried yet: 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/learning-tools?ef_id=_k_EAIaIQobChMImavE6fOziAMVcA-tBh2oSwdsEAAYASAAEgJJYfD_BwE_k_&OCID=AIDcmmf9ba61yr_SEM__k_EAIaIQobChMImavE6fOziAMVcA-tBh2oSwdsEAAYASAAEgJJYfD_BwE_k_&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImavE6fOziAMVcA-tBh2oSwdsEAAYASAAEgJJYfD_BwE

Or I am sure you can find more tutorials on Youtube.  I hope this helps!

He uses this occasionally, but not sure if it will work for a scanned text book.

Edited by Shelydon

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Natural Reader is free for basic, but it doesnt have speed control like Speechify, iirc. Read Aloud and Snap&Read are two others I am aware of.

Thanks.  Speed control is a must, he listens at 2 to 3x speech on everything

Unless he has a newer textbook that can also be viewed online (which I would think would have read aloud options), here is the same question you have:

https://www.readingrockets.org/resources/expert-qa/what-options-are-available-audio-versions-textbooks-1

Hopefully someone else will chime in with their experience.  We would hope that by now, things would be less expensive in the accessibility realm for textbooks. 

Speechify works very well with paper texts. That is the primary way my son uses it. It can read a wide range of fonts. Way better than a c-pen reader

He uses it on his iPad, speechify takes photos of the page then it  reads away. Very user friendly. My son has ID and can use it completely independently

Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Speechify works very well with paper texts. That is the primary way my son uses it. It can read a wide range of fonts. Way better than a c-pen reader

He uses it on his iPad, speechify takes photos of the page then it  reads away. Very user friendly. My son has ID and can use it completely independently

Have you found a problem with running out of words. I'm reading that there is a monthly word limit on speechify. 

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Natural reader does the same thing. 

5 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

With an iPhone, Mac/safari and their native accessibility features, and Microsoft Word (the paid subscription version), we’ve been able to avoid using  Speechify. 

I think it greatly depends on the child. If it is just dyslexia with no other disabilities then those options would be terrific 

The problem with those for my ds was there were too many steps involved. We tried .

• Like 1