Menu

Need Ideas for Cabinet Over the Stove

Kris

A friend built my kitchen cabinets for us, but he died unexpectedly before the job was finished. This was a few years ago.

We had always planned to put a microwave over the range, but the over-the-stove cabinet is one of the things he didn't get to before he died.

Home Depot has unfinished oak cabinets, and I can get one of those, but there's no way I can match the finish on the other cabinets -- they're birch and I can't even find the same stain anymore locally, though I already know it won't even be close on the oak wood. We stained some scrap oak pieces back when he was here and they turned out almost black.

So I need to come up with some way to finish the oak cabinet to at least look like it belongs there. I was thinking of painting it, but I don't want brown. I don't want it to look like I tried to match this cabinet with the rest of the kitchen, because it can't be done and will just make everything look worse. I've finally decided I'm tired of the half-finished kitchen (two of the cabinets haven't had doors on them), and we're already having to do a lot of "make-do" stuff just to finish the job.

The stain that's on the cabinets is pretty dark, and only works because of the beautiful grain in the wood. The counters are light colored marble tile with rose veins. The appliances are bisque.

I've attached a GIF of the wood on the other cabinets.

Is stenciling "out?" Don't know if I'd be able to do it without making a mess anyway.

post-1041-13535082767364_thumb.gif

post-1041-13535082767364_thumb.gif

Depending on what the rest of your kitchen looks like, you could probably paint. I bet if you posted a picture of that area of the kitchen, the ladies here might have some ideas.

I guess my inclination is to not even try to match, but paint it an interesting contrasting color.

Can you find another cabinet maker to finish the job? Otherwise, I think I would plan to paint the odd cabinet since the stain won't match.

I tried to find someone to finish the work for me, but we just couldn't afford it.

What color would you paint it? I'm thinking green and maybe antique it or something?

Depending on what the rest of your kitchen looks like, you could probably paint. I bet if you posted a picture of that area of the kitchen, the ladies here might have some ideas.

I guess my inclination is to not even try to match, but paint it an interesting contrasting color.

Yeah -- I think contrast is much preferred to a clumsy attempt at matching it -- but I don't know what color to use.

Yeah -- I think contrast is much preferred to a clumsy attempt at matching it -- but I don't know what color to use.

Post a picture, woman! We're dying here.... We so want to help, it's what we do. Do you have a color scheme going? What color are your floors? Do you have an accent color, a big red badge-of-being-a-Well-Trained-Mind-homie, Kitchen Aid stand mixer?

Give us something to work with, just a smidge more information. Please.

Wondering if you are looking at painting that one cabinet, and then carrying the design/colors to other cabinets by stenciling, or if you are just looking at stenciling that one cabinet for a focal point?

Yes -- yes -- thank you so much for "decoding" that. I'm thinking I should do the one cabinet like a "special" piece of furniture. I'm not wanting to change the existing cabinets. The new one is completely different in style. I'm thinking a green stain maybe . . .

Post a picture, woman! We're dying here.... We so want to help, it's what we do. Do you have a color scheme going? What color are your floors? Do you have an accent color, a big red badge-of-being-a-Well-Trained-Mind-homie, Kitchen Aid stand mixer?

Naw -- the mixer is white. Nothing else is white, but it was the only one they had. :lol:

I don't really have a color scheme, I don't think. If I do have one, I'd appreciate someone telling me what it is. :lol:

Give us something to work with, just a smidge more information. Please.

Okay -- You're right -- One smidge coming up. I'm just a little embarrassed to post these, but I really do want to get it finished up. :blushing:

The "long shots" (one and two) are pretty dark. The one of the center cabinet gives a better idea of the right colors and the floor, which is pretty light.

As you can see, the counter tops aren't finished, either. We've cut wide pieces of the same wood as all the other cabinets to finish these. I'm thinking if I use the same paint/stain on these finish pieces as I do on the over-the-stove cabinet, that might help tie it in together a little better? Or do you think the wood around the counter needs to be the same as the other cabinets? I'll be going to my hardware store tomorrow to see if there's anyway he can get the same stain for me. But I'm realizing it's been about four years, so I'm not holding out a lot of hope.

I really appreciate the help.

Why not paint it black and sand around the edges for a distressed look? Or even a cream color. Is there a way to take the cabinet out completely and make a faux range hood. They have tin/ copper panels and you could build the frame.

Just some thoughts.

Hi, Heather -- We haven't purchased the cabinet yet -- but that's what the lady at Home Depot helped us come up with. The microwave is the "thing" and apparently you have to have a cabinet up there to help anchor or stabilize it.

I like the idea of "distressing" it -- I think that would kind of fit in with the rest of it which is -- hum -- "primitive?" Is that the right word?

I think I would put open shelving up there.

You would be able to avoid having to match doors, knobs, wood and stain. Just paint the shelves the same color as the walls.

Or you could do a smallish pot/pan rack.

But -- I want a microwave up there. :lol:

I'd *love* to have a pot/pan rack and, actually, we were going to put one where the window is now, but decided against it.

I think I would put open shelving up there.

You would be able to avoid having to match doors, knobs, wood and stain. Just paint the shelves the same color as the walls.

Or you could do a smallish pot/pan rack.

I think an open shelf for the microwave would work. I would paint it black though, and paint the wall behind a warm color. The cabinets that your friend made, which are beautiful, have that dark trim, so a black open shelf would pick up that line in the cupboard doors.

But -- I want a microwave up there. :lol:

I'd *love* to have a pot/pan rack and, actually, we were going to put one where the window is now, but decided against it.

Oh! I thought the microwave was the Home Depot Girl's idea and you were just okay with it (that's where mine is, and I love it, btw).

Oh! I thought the microwave was the Home Depot Girl's idea and you were just okay with it (that's where mine is, and I love it, btw).

Ah! I'm sorry! No -- what happened was we asked her if we could put the microwave up without a cabinet and she said no. So after we explained the problem, she suggested one of the unfinished ones.

Sorry 'bout that! :001_smile:

Do you have any custom paint stores in your area? You can take a scrap sample of the new wood you are using and a sample of the old door and a talented mixer can mix the right color.

It is usually a mom and pop store that can do this for you. You will get the best results if you can go in and talk to them about it and see what they suggest. You should be able to tell if they seem confident in trying. I like to offer to leave the scrap and the door with them, so they have a day to work on it, but sometimes they can do it while you wait.

You will most likely want a cabinet with doors above a microwave because otherwise you will see the metal vent tube.

My dad used to make custom furniture and he mixed colors all the time. It can be done, and with the right mixer, you will never know the difference!

Do you have any custom paint stores in your area? You can take a scrap sample of the new wood you are using and a sample of the old door and a talented mixer can mix the right color.

It is usually a mom and pop store that can do this for you. You will get the best results if you can go in and talk to them about it and see what they suggest. You should be able to tell if they seem confident in trying. I like to offer to leave the scrap and the door with them, so they have a day to work on it, but sometimes they can do it while you wait.

You will most likely want a cabinet with doors above a microwave because otherwise you will see the metal vent tube.

My dad used to make custom furniture and he mixed colors all the time. It can be done, and with the right mixer, you will never know the difference!

I would attempt this route before anything. This is a very viable option. We needed stain for our shoe moulding to match the hardwood floors we installed. In prepping our 20yo old home for sale, we needed to replace some shoe moulding. It needed to match the 20yo stained baseboard that would sit behind it. We took a sample in with our unfinished wood and the pigmentologist at our local Benjamin Moore shop did a beautiful job! (I agree, though, you'll need to seek help outside of Lowe's or Home Depot on this one).

In your case - be sure to take in the exact type of wood your cabinets are made out of (unfinished) for his practice piece and then take in a piece of wood that is already stained with your stain. Based on our experience, you have every reason to hope that thay can set you up to be able to truly finish your project as originally designed!

Past that - in my opinion, the most cohesive and aesthetically pleasing but least functional use for that space would be to put a wall mounted decorative venthood. You'd have nowhere to put the mw nor storage for anything else but I think it would look less like you had to mix and match. ;-}

The black shelf idea for the mw is certainly viable. You do need to remember though that if your mw is going to be vented to serve as an over the stove vent as well, you will have the venting exposed. To me, that would look very unfinished.

For all these reasons, I say definitely "go straight to the local professional paint job. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200." ;-P You don't have a thing to lose except a little time and you have a lot to gain in the event they're able to truly help you achieve your original goal.

Above all and no matter what - let me share with you our mantra after 2 and counting years of major entire home renovations to include gutting the kitchen and starting from the studs - when something did not turn out quite like what we had intended it became, "That's not a mistake. It's a design feature!" :D

Have fun and enjoy the process,

Sharon

Actually, I would totally nix the idea of a microwave there. We have one over our stove, and it has been nothing but trouble--It's a Kenmore. The problem is that the heat from the stove ruins the door and makes it crack. We have lived here 7.5 years and have replaced that friggin' door 3 times, and it ain't cheap. I hear that complaint from lots of people. The repair man (not a Sears guy, I don't think) said the microwave over the stove is a major design flaw. Also, if you do have one there, you will want a vent just under it, as part of the microwave--you can't just buy a microwave and stick it in the cabinet (well, you could, but you shouldn't) because it has to be properly vented and it should have the fan/vent thing under it to keep the door from cracking. If that makes any sense...

I would not put a cabinet over the stove at all--put a pretty copper vent hood, even if it's purely decorative, or put a couple of open shelves, a nice set of stenciled tiles (add a little color and beauty), or a simple pot rack, if you have some nice pots to hang (but that would be my last option, since they get greasy and are a pain to clean).

If you absolutely have to, the PP's idea to have the guys at the paint store match the finish is spot on.

We redid our kitchen this summer. I used two different colors for my cabinets..it really is quite the current decorating rage right now. Altho, I am not one to go with the current anything, I just liked it. I did fruitwood stain (Which matches all the woodwork in my home) plus green stain. I put green upper cabinets and wood stain lower ones on one side of the kitchen and all wood on the other side. Crown moldings in the wood stain color tops off the green and brings it all together. I wish I could get a picture to load..

In your case I would definately try to do an accent..black looks like a really good choice for your choice..and it would tie in the darker grooves in your current cabinets.

We do have a microwave ove r the stove and have had for over 25 years. OUr first microwave worked beautifully even when we moved it twice to different homes. It never cracked etc. When we moved here 12 years ago, we left the old trusty microwave and bought a new one. It did crack. However, I had no where else to put a microwave and decided to just deal with it over the stove. I don't do nearly as much cooking as I did when the kiddoes were all home.

Actually, I would totally nix the idea of a microwave there. We have one over our stove, and it has been nothing but trouble--It's a Kenmore. The problem is that the heat from the stove ruins the door and makes it crack. We have lived here 7.5 years and have replaced that friggin' door 3 times, and it ain't cheap. I hear that complaint from lots of people. The repair man (not a Sears guy, I don't think) said the microwave over the stove is a major design flaw. Also, if you do have one there, you will want a vent just under it, as part of the microwave--you can't just buy a microwave and stick it in the cabinet (well, you could, but you shouldn't) because it has to be properly vented and it should have the fan/vent thing under it to keep the door from cracking. If that makes any sense...

I would not put a cabinet over the stove at all--put a pretty copper vent hood, even if it's purely decorative, or put a couple of open shelves, a nice set of stenciled tiles (add a little color and beauty), or a simple pot rack, if you have some nice pots to hang (but that would be my last option, since they get greasy and are a pain to clean).

If you absolutely have to, the PP's idea to have the guys at the paint store match the finish is spot on.

I definitely concur with only putting a vented mw above your stove. That's what ours is. There's no way we would have put a mw that does not vent *well* over the stove! As it is (a well ventilating mw), we've had no trouble.

One other thought - I appreciate the value of accent colored cabinetry. I wonder though, would you need more than just one of all the cabinets in the accent color to present as if things were supposed to be that way?

To reiterate - I'd attempt to have a local pigmentologist match your stain first. This option would enable you to get your mw off the counter (assuming you're going to place a venting mw over the stove) and would provide a bit more storage over the stove (around the vent pipe that will have to be placed inside the cabinet as well). If that doesn't pan out, assuming cost is an issue, I'd shop around for an economically priced decorative vent hood and live with the mw on the counter because if you go with an accent shelf above the stove, your vent pipe for the mw will probably be an eyesore. :-}

Here's trusting you'll lock into one of these options that is right for YOU! :-D

I definitely concur with only putting a vented mw above your stove. That's what ours is. There's no way we would have put a mw that does not vent *well* over the stove! As it is (a well ventilating mw), we've had no trouble.

Hi -- I'm running out the door to go pick up the only can of stain in the tri-state area before someone else snags it! LOL! But I wanted to throw in here that the microwave we're putting over the stove *is* one that is designed to be put there, i.e., it is vented. The cabinet I'm talking about needs to go above it to support and stabilize the microwave.

I wasn't going to put the one on my counter up there. :001_smile:

I'm sorry I can't answer all the other posts right now. Just my luck, someone else is on their way to go get MY can of stain right now! LOL!

I wanted to thank you guys for all the suggestions. It's really helped me figure this out.

We found a can of the original stain. We were very *very* lucky that a little hardware store had it in stock. All the other stores I talked to would only order it for us if we bought a whole case! The manager at that store also solved another irritating problem for me (not relevant here) and I jokingly told him, "If you can do that, I will bring you some of those most AWESOME cinnamon rolls!" Well, he did -- and I don't think he believed me. Boy, will he be surprised when I walk in with them tomorrow. :lol:

Anyway --

I really like the idea of the black, distressed finish for the new cabinet. We already know that this stain we've used is pretty much black on oak, so I think I can use the same stain I already have -- that'll save us about $15.00 right there. We aren't able to get the new cabinet yet, so I really hope I don't completely change my mind in the following weeks before I can finish this up. :D

But I do have the wood cut for the doors that we need, as well as the finish pieces for the counters, and I have the right stain, so that part will be okay. Since the original cabinets were done so long ago, I know there's going to be a bit of a difference, but the existing cabinet finishes don't look "one-note" as it is because of how varied the wood grain was.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. It really did the trick. I never would have thought of the black, but the more I think about it, the more I love the idea.

ETA: As luck would have it, the knobs that we are already using aren't available anymore at all. So that tall end cabinet will look really different -- almost as an afterthought, probably. But that's okay with me. I didn't want this kitchen to look like anything anyone else anywhere would have. I think I can say "Mission Accomplished." :-D

Edited by Kris