Menu

100th Day of School

Do any of you celebrate the 100th day of school like they do in Kindergarten classes? If so, what ideas work especially well with kids at home? I would like to do this with my ds, but not sure how to make it work with just him and his big sister.

Our 100th day is scheduled to fall January 16th, so I do have some time to plan if there are ideas that require that. I would appreciate any advice!

We did celebrate this when my kids were younger --- like your kids ages.

We counted 100 pencils. One year our heat was out the day we held our 100th day of school celebration so we sat on the sofa, under tons of blankets and they tried to have me read 100 books. While we didn't get through 100 books they still talk about this day, that happened 7 yrs ago this coming winter.

Thanks for helping me to reflect...

Carole

We also did this when all of mine were younger. I need to reinstitute it because it was such a hit. Here are a couple of the things we did:

*make placemats: We glued a large 100 on a piece of construction paper, then divided the rest of the paper into 10 different areas with a magic marker. They used stamps to make 100 stamps -- 10 in each area. I had them laminated and they loved to eat lunch on them.

*Collect 10 baggies with 10 things in each (coins, stamps, legos, etc.) and let them trade. This works best with a large group, but you might be able to work it with two.

*Go outside. Measure 100 inches, 100 feet, 100 yards and mark with chalk. Take 100 giant steps and mark with chalk.

*Make 10 cupcakes and decorate with 10 goodies on each. And/or make a pizza, cut into 10 slices and top with 10 goodies on each slice.

I think we read 100 Hungry Ants and several other 100 books. I'm sure if you google, you'd get a bunch of fun ideas, but this is what I remember doing off the top of my head.

HTH,

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's our 100th day. I ended up having a doctor appointment this afternoon, so we're not able to do as much as I wanted. It's also the coldest day we've had, so we didn't do outdoor things.

100 Number Board Game--printed off 100 boards, we rolled dice and colored in that number of squares to see who would get to 100 first

100 pieces of candy--we counted 100 junior mints and ate SOME, but not all.

100 Bounces--My ds just started a Christian basketball program, so we all took turns seeing if we could bounce 100 times without stopping, then with switching hands, etc.

100 Things About Star Wars--we are big Star Wars fans, so we make a list of 100 people, places, and things about Star Wars

100 Countries--the kids got a new globe for Christmas from Leap Frog called the Odyssey III. We found and listed 100 countries and played music from each

Books read:

One Hundred Hungry Ants (Elinor J. Pinczes)

Miss Bindergarten Celebrates the 100th Day of Kindergarten (Joseph Slate)

100th Day Worries (Margery Cuyler)

The Wolf's Chicken Stew (Keiko Kasza)

Snack-100 Calorie Little Debbies

Thanks for the inspiration. I wanted to do more, but I have to go to this appointment.