Menu

I want to be prepared!

I have a 27 mo daughter and I plan on using a Classical program for her education. Problem, I don't know Latin or Greek. I barely know what E pluribus unum means! I know that books and videos are great but is that enough if the teacher (me:o) is clueless?? Also, I'm intimidated by the ambitious nature of Classical education. I was always a good student and loved learning, I have a few years of college, but no degree beyond AA (not alcoholics anonymous!:p). What would you recommend for a not so Classically educated Classical educator??? I've got time since she's still young and I want to do all I can to make sure I'm prepared to help her when she is ready:eek:.

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi Amanda!

This is a perfect time to begin preparing yourself to be your daughter's guide into a classical education! The more confidence you develop in what (content) and how (form) you want to teach, the better equipped you will be to tailor your daughter's education to her strengths and your family goals. *You* are her curriculum and all the tools and products you can learn about and try out over the years are just that, tools. :) What are your own weaknesses and strengths right now? I think the best way you can prepare is to begin a program of self-education to shore up those weaknesses. Work through some college math texts if that's a weak spot for you. Go ahead and begin learning Latin there are some great online groups and programs for Wheelocks and Henle latin. If you haven't read many of the Great Books of literature, SWB's book "The Well-Educated Mind" is a great tool. Or just begin a four year cycle of history studies reading well done adaptations of the Great Books if that's more doable for now. You could read Padraic Column's "The Children's Homer" and Rosemary Sutcliffe's adaptations to get the general storyline from the Illiad and Odyssey. And so on. If you have "The Welll-Trained Mind" read through the literature and history lists for the Logic stage years and just start reading what interests you. If you want to learn more about education in general, history, methods, etc. I'm sure many of us here can recommend favorite books to you. Here's a few of mine (and I started buying and reading them before I conceived my first child, so you're not too early in my book!):

"The Well-Trained Mind"--if you haven't read it yet

"For the Children's Sake"--Susan Schaeffer Macauley

"Original Homeschooling Series"--Charlotte Mason

"Norms and Nobility"--David Hicks

"Educating the Whole-Hearted Child"--Sally Clarkson

"Tending the Heart of Virtue"--Vigun Guroian

"Climbing Parnassus"--Tracy Lee Simmons

"The Latin-Centered Curriculum"--Andrew Campbell

Enjoy the journey. :)

Jami

What a wonderful position to be in; knowing about Classical education and that you want to hs, and on top of that your dd is only 27m old. You too have a great attitude of loving learning and being a good student. But since you asked what I'd recommend to prepare for Classical HS'ing I'll answer that question. If I had it all to do over I would have started with The Well Educated Mind, read it, and then started reading all the books it lists. I would pick up Susan Wise Bauer's new History of the Ancient World and read it; when the Middle Ages book gets released I'd pick it up and read it too. Please believe me though, you could do nothing and really just learn along with your child, and still do a great job.

I'd attend hs'ing conferences, and see if I could go to a conference Susan Wise Bauer and/or Jessie Wise are speaking at. I would read all I could about hs'ing too.

When we started hs'ing my oldest was in 3rd grade there were many subjects I knew nothing about; grammar, Latin, history, rhetoric, but I learned alongside my boys. I've read tons and tons of great books too and this is the one area where I really wish I had started reading these books back when we began hs'ing.

Carole, DE

I knew when my dd was 3 yrs. old that I wanted to give her a Classical Education. It seemed like an unsurmountable challenge for me at the time as I consider myself a person of an average brain. :o I read everything I could get my hands on that had to do with CE and CM. Jami has given you a great list to start with. These books will stretch your brain like nothing else could. If you can read Norms and Nobility, then you can handle The Illiad and the like.

As you continue on with your reading, you will notice, gradually, that you will be able to read things that you never thought possible. I also started reading the grammar list of history books from WTM. Then I moved on to the rhetoric list. This helped so much to pave the way as far as history and lit. goes.

You will find that you will learn alot as you teach your children. Now that my kids are older and I don't have that much time to read as much as i would like, I have discovered the Teaching Company lectures on CD. These are awesome.

This journey you are embarking on is an exciting one. Enjoy it!

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)