Menu

How many kinds of cheese are in your fridge?

That is an admirable collection.

I only have the standard cheddar and a soft goats cheese in oil I just picked up from the local market.

Regrettably, I haven't been on a spending spree at the deli in the city in a while. 

Sharp cheddar

extra sharp cheddar

sharp white cheddar

mild cheddar

parmesan

queso quesadilla

mozzarella

Feta

blue cheese

provolone

hot provolone 

gouda

babybel

monterey jack

queso dip

Lol…when I first saw this question I thought oh we don’t have much or anything interesting right now. I’ve been cutting back. We really love cheese. I went shopping today and really held back on the cheese. Haha

• Like 4

Mild cheddar

sharp cheddar

mac and cheese blend

mozzarella

parmesan

gouda

colby

jack cheese

White cheese dip

Next month we travel to Wisconsin and will bring back our favorites- really looking forward to a basil farmer cheese made there. 

• Like 2

Remnants of a block of supermarket cheddar. Last dribs of some packet pizza cheese. Remnants of a block of mozzarella. The two latter will be pizza tonight. Sometimes we have four or five but never a collection like that 🙂 

• Like 2

We only have sliced sharp cheddar, pepper jack and colby jack, all picked by DS18. We also have small rolls of yuzu citrus goat cheese that was picked up at grocery outlet. We don’t usually buy cheese because it is relatively expensive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Hey! I just bought some goats cheese and have the dregs of a jar of yuzu miso.

My life isn't a tragedy after all!

Need is the mother of invention.

Feta

cheddar

brie

goat's brie with ash

regular goat

blue 

parmesan

asiago

manchego

Great thread.

• Like 1

Cheddar

Gouda

Feta

(above are the supermarket staples)

Slice of wild mushroom brie

Small provolone

(From a quarterly market)

We have no deli within a 100km radius and haven’t been out of town recently. 

• Like 1

Two types of block cheddar

Gouda

Parmesan reggiano

a block of I don’t remember but it will come to me

brié

boursin garlic & herb

Sliced Swiss

sliced vermont cheddar 

sliced Muenster 

American cheese singles

shredded cheddar 

shredded mozzarella 

We are out of honey goat cheese.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

Off the top of my head -

Inside fridge: American, provalone, extra sharp cheddar, tomato basil feta crumbles, mozzarella cheese sticks, Parmesan, Asiago, cream cheese, and a can of sawdust. 😉

Outdoor fridge: extra sharp cheddar, Swiss, pepper jack, blueberry goat cheese, feta, muenster, mozzarella, and random herb and vegetable spreads, plus back up parm and Asiago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oh my.  Let me see....

1. goat
  2. provelone
  3. Parmesan (wedge)
  4. Peccorino Romano
  5. American
  6. pepper jack
  7. sharp cheddar - Vermont, NY, and aged
  8. cream cheese
  9. mozzarella - fresh and shredded
  10. haloumi (grilling cheese)
  11. quesito colombiano
  12. ? Surprise mild cheese from the pack of ends I bought for mac n' cheese night.
  • Like 2

My people! Lol. I’m always thinking, “why do we have so much cheese?!” 

I haven’t been grocery shopping in two weeks but I currently have shredded Mexican blend, two types of cheddar blend, and Parmesan.  Feta, powdered parm (lol, not cheese?). Colby sticks and mozzarella sticks (for lunches). And probably a couple more, if I get up and go look. 

• Like 2

Sharp NY cheddar

kraft singles (I know it’s gross but DH insists it goes on burgers)

parmesan

shakey cheese (again, DH)

cream cheese

port wine

cotija

colby jack

feta

Trader Joe’s has a truffle cheese we just ran out of but is on my list. We’re also out of smoked provolone.

• Like 1

I obviously need to go buy more cheese. You guys have it going on. 

We have mozzarella in the freezer. In the fridge, there's fresh mozzarella, colby, cheddar, cream cheese, feta, and parmesan. Sort of boring.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, El... said:

I obviously need to go buy more cheese. You guys have it going on. 

We have mozzarella in the freezer. In the fridge, there's fresh mozzarella, colby, cheddar, cream cheese, feta, and parmesan. Sort of boring.

Not boring. There is a world of possibility in each of of those cheeses. Tomorrow I'm turning cream cheese into a Basque cheesecake for the first time! 

We have a bunch, most of it pretty basic right now. I am regretting not getting some manchego for a father's day cheese plate tomorrow. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mmasc said:

medium cheddar block

Kerrygold Dubliner (my fave!)

Big wedge of Parmesan reggiano

shredded Mexican cheese

American cheese slices

cottage cheese 

I LOVE Kerrygold Dubliner as well!  

Is "mexican cheese" the white, very mild cheese, or are there spiced add, like Pepper Jack? 

• Like 1

I am so jealous of all these long lists of cheese. I am a lover of cheese, but have had to cut way back due to stomach issues. I'll just list my favourite cheeses I wish I had in my fridge:

- Kerrygold Dubliner

- Norwegian brown cheese (goat cheese) - sweet tasting with a slight 'sticky' feel a bit like peanut butter

- Jarlsberg cheese (also Norwegian)

- Blue Castello cheese - a salty, slightly soft blue cheese

- Balderson sharp cheddar cheese - a Canadian brand

- St. Albert sharp cheddar and cheese curds - the curds are for poutine, of course!! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I LOVE Kerrygold Dubliner as well!  

Is "mexican cheese" the white, very mild cheese, or are there spiced add, like Pepper Jack? 

Yes! That Dubliner is so, so good!

The “Mexican” cheese we buy that my kids like for making quesadillas is a shredded blend of cheeses, such as:

IMG_6665.jpeg

2 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Yes! That Dubliner is so, so good!

The “Mexican” cheese we buy that my kids like for making quesadillas is a shredded blend of cheeses, such as:

IMG_6665.jpeg

Ok, so not the cheese that is actually used in Mexico that I can get from my specialty shop, I'm sure this is tasty, though. We just use straight Monterey or Pepper Jack cheese now on pretty much everything. It's good on hamburgers!

• Like 1

So my cow is giving me a gallon of milk *a day* (she’s not a heavy producer thank goodness and she’s at the tail end of her lactation, but we sold the calf 2 weeks ago.) so maybe I need to try my hand at making cheese again. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Hey! I just bought some goats cheese and have the dregs of a jar of yuzu miso.

My life isn't a tragedy after all!

I am on my way to help you eat that.  I’ll pick up some crackers.

Hoover, and Dyson have eaten all my cheese.  

• Like 2

Block of sharp (or extra sharp) cheddar 

shredded sharp cheddar 

shredded Parmesan 

shredded mozzarella (I think)

American “cheese” slices (used for grilled cheese and as an ingredient in homemade mac and cheese)

17 minutes ago, alysee said:

It's the summer so we have 6. Cheddar, parmesan, mozzarella, cream cheese, American cheese slices(we call them Kraft Singles) and feta. 

Do you have more cheese or less cheese in other seasons? 

• Haha 1

Colby jack shredded

Mozz shredded

brick of Parmesan Reggiono

Kirkland Cabernet Sauvignon bellavitano

Dubliner (my favorite)

Jarlsburg (Dh favorite)

Goat cheese 

cream cheese

Lite laughing Cow cheese

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 2

Feta (block)

mozzarella shreds

colby jack shreds

block of cheddar

block of swiss

pepper jack slices 

queso fresco

cotija

3 types of Tillamook cream cheese (chives, jalapeno honey, strawberry)

block of pecorino

block of parmesan reggiano

I normally have some snacking cheese also, but I havent been to trader joe’s in a while.

• Like 1

Hmm - at the moment: 

Shredded: sharp cheddar, parmesan

Block: sharp cheddar, smoked gouda

Sliced: swiss, muenster

And we have some of the sharp cheddar cabot sticks (I think they're Cabot's version of string cheese)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

You guys have a lot of cheese!

We currently have blocks of mature cheddar and parmesan. We usually have one other. That's it.

Well, America is the land of cheese caves.  We are literally running out of room to keep our extra cheese.  We have massive underground bunkers full of enough cheese to give every single American a pound of cheese a day for four years.  We have so much cheese that we use our cheese to make processed cheese.  

I'm not honestly sure why our government is so desperate to prop up our dairy industry that we prop it up way beyond supply and demand.  I'm also not sure why the price of cheese doesn't go down due to the fact that we have so much cheese we are storing it in vast underground caverns.  

The world is ineffable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Well, America is the land of cheese caves.  We are literally running out of room to keep our extra cheese.  We have massive underground bunkers full of enough cheese to give every single American a pound of cheese a day for four years.  We have so much cheese that we use our cheese to make processed cheese.  

I'm not honestly sure why our government is so desperate to prop up our dairy industry that we prop it up way beyond supply and demand.  I'm also not sure why the price of cheese doesn't go down due to the fact that we have so much cheese we are storing it in vast underground caverns.  

The world is ineffable.

There are actual caves for aging cheese in England, and probably other countries like Italy. I think parmesan cheeses need a long dark, cool place to age. So cool! I'd love to go on a cheese tour in Europe! I don't really need the wine. 😉 

• Like 3

Shredded: mozzarella, quesadilla cheese 

Sliced: American, cheddar, havarti, gouda

Blocks: mozzarella, cheddar, havarti, Gouda, pepper jack, port wine, asiago

Other: marscapone, feta, cream cheese, babybel 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drama Llama said:

Do you have more cheese or less cheese in other seasons? 

For sure. We usually only have feta when the peppers and cucumbers are in season. We don't always have parmesan in the summer either since we don't eat a ton of pasta in the summer, opting for pizza. We pretty much always have Cheddar, cream cheese and Kraft Singles. Mozzarella we usually have only if Pizza or Baked pasta is on the menu. 

So is having a huge variety of cheese typical of US culture or is this board exceptional? I wouldn’t say it’s normal to have that many here except maybe around Christmas time.  I remember reading something about French eating and how they would usually have a cheese box with 3 different varieties.

5 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

So is having a huge variety of cheese typical of US culture or is this board exceptional? I wouldn’t say it’s normal to have that many here except maybe around Christmas time.  I remember reading something about French eating and how they would usually have a cheese box with 3 different varieties.

I think it’s very common. We probably eat cheese every day. I’d rather give up sugar than dairy. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think it’s very common. We probably eat cheese every day. I’d rather give up sugar than dairy. 

I probably eat cheese four times a week or more, but we just don’t have a huge variety. We’re more likely to have a big single block that’s cheaper. If I buy Brie or Camembert I’ll buy the smallest possible round as only my dd and I eat it. We do have mozzarella because I’ve taken to doing a weekly pizza night. I actually think there’s something wrong with my fridge though because stuff seems to go mouldy too quickly if I stock up. 

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Honestly, I'm kinda baffled by the hive's cheese selections.  I'm wondering how people eat them.  At our house we have a block of cheddar that we eat with crackers as a snack (mostly my husband), shredded cheddar and parmesean that we put on pasta or in omelettes, and sliced Kraft slices for when we make mac and cheese.  If we're eating a lot of cold cut sandwiches, I would get some sliced cheese, probably swiss.  When my kids were little, I often kept cheese sticks or Baby Bells as a convenient portable snack.  When the kids were on a quessadilla kick, we sometimes had shredded Mexican blend of cheese.  But I'm not really sure how people eat a dozen varieties of cheese.  

I think we do have cottage cheese as well that we eat with fruit sometimes.  I don't really think of cottage cheese or cream cheese as cheese, but maybe they are?  

20 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I probably eat cheese four times a week or more, but we just don’t have a huge variety. We’re more likely to have a big single block that’s cheaper. If I buy Brie or Camembert I’ll buy the smallest possible round as only my dd and I eat it. We do have mozzarella because I’ve taken to doing a weekly pizza night. I actually think there’s something wrong with my fridge though because stuff seems to go mouldy too quickly if I stock up. 

I wonder if the variety is because it’s normal for us to cook so many different kinds of foods and we need different cheeses for that?  I don’t use Italian cheeses in Mexican dishes. The cheeses I use if we’re doing a charcuterie platter for dinner are not the cheeses I stock for sandwiches. It’s one of those smallish indulgences that makes life nicer. 

ETA: If the cheese selection looks excessive, don’t even ask about our condiments because then the variety gets completely ridiculous. I probably have 10 kinds of hot sauce in my house right now, and that’s just hot sauce. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3