Menu

Quick relief for plantar fasciitis?

Yesterday I woke up with a severe case of plantar fasciitis. I have no idea what I did. I have had mild symptoms a few years ago but was able to do stretching to make it go away. This time I have a full-blown case and I can barely walk. I have an event tomorrow that will necessitate me walking about 20,000 steps. Any suggestions for some sort of cushioned insole to get through tomorrow?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Ugh I had that once. It started out small but became full blown quickly. Every time I got out of bed it would take me so long to be able to walk normally.

A nurse friend described it that the muscle is like a window shade that has rolled up. And it does last a long time.

The best relief I got was compression socks made specifically for plantar fasciitis that I would wear overnight. I would recommend getting some and sleeping with them on. Once I used those it got much, much better.

Edited by Home'scool

There’s a splint that I wore at nights. Got it from Amazon.

the socks helped too. 

what really helped me this time was new shoes and insoles!  I had to go to Road Runner Sports where they personalize insoles. 

plus, stretching and icing and Motrin helped too.  

Bottomline: Motrin, new shoes and inserts for immediate relief. 

Good luck tomorrow and I hope it goes away soon! 

Posted (edited)

Fill a plastic water bottle almost full of water, freeze it, then use it as a foot massage to roll under your sore foot. You can also use a ball (tennis ball) to massage under the foot, but the ice is nice for dulling the pain. 

Wear footwear with really good arch support always when walking, even around the house. 

Gently stretch the back of the lower legs (calves) and the back of the upper legs (hamstrings), as the tension can extend up and down the entire leg. 

I would put the long walk on hold during this flare up. You may end up with much worse and longer lasting pain if you push too soon. Also, I find that the walking surface, such as hard pavement/asphalt is much harder on my feet and arches than walking on a softer surface like dirt in the woods. 

Insole aren't going to fix much in a day. They may be ok for extended use to help prevent flares and pain.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Every single time you are about to rise to your feet, stretch them as far back toward your shins as you can first.  (Gently though).  That reduces the initial pain upon standing.

Fill your pockets with enteric aspirin tomorrow and take it as a regimen.  Actually, start taking it today.

Rather than an insole I suggest going out shopping today and buying either Dansko sandals (the Sophia model was particularly helpful for me, and can be worn with socks if necessary) or Abeo ones.  You want a low heel, but not absolute flats.  Those both have the best and most firm arch support I have found, and are immensely helpful in a bad flare.

Those are the immediate things I would focus on to get through the next couple of days.  They won’t get rid of it, but they will mitigate it about as much as you can do quickly.

Then look in the general board for my thread from waaaay back titled “Plantar Fascitis—What Has Helped You?” That was a fantastic crowd sourced resource for the long run.

42 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I would put the long walk on hold during this flare up. You may end up with much worse and longer lasting pain if you push too soon.

Even though this is probably not what @Shelydon wants to hear, reality is that plantar F progresses into heel spurs, meaning there's truth to this. I would at least not be heroic. Get a WALKING STOOL which is this cute little three legged thing that folds up, weighs very little, and USE it. I did this when I was coming off some bad foot issues (the next step you're looking at) and had to be on my feet. If you USE the walking stool, you could sit half the time at least. Don't be heroic. Compel other people to help, sit, refuse to do stupid things.

Yes on the rolling with ice, yes on the good insoles. If you get them made at a running store that does custom made insoles (same day) and wear, wear, wear them for everything it can help. It may be that you've already progressed to heel spurs and don't realize it. They show up on xrays and get you a nice trip to the orthoped. In that case, the gel cups that go in the heel of your shoe can help and they give you a special boot to wear at night.

If you can get into an orthopedic doctor, they can give you some things to help yourself. Really though, take care of yourself tomorrow and don't be heroic. Nothing that is happening there is worth it. 

https://www.amazon.com/COOZMENT-Non-Slip-Capacity(13-Parallel-Bars/dp/B0BGBKM3YX/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2FQIJPIK8HJP8&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.67EYoA4QJS1Hm5HL74r2NzZqWAH6ItK9Txr8YZ8lWld-5R9fauG0iAolUFBszd9Nozkw6badCgVIb7ZQxbDgifGmHHRglrUGHstFeffTC1kku_gSJ7YOHySh4JSUqAezP0VWHS0r74uc3cCs_FrqCl593UkKR0pWIK1Wsede3MFRKfi4bhlpVn2h1Z4mD7_WiCnbCb0FfIpsAXu1AWGJqsZx44QlbxHywVs8iFU-r2RCM4N0Hhh-D8hHY5x2DeqVvkBsU_JiO-MWYXT4vbbS-DB5FvjoSelJDmL4VmSBehg.bARbD3h9DC9wemQ2Mg0u9xEP9-U2uMwhWfaC670e6w0&dib_tag=se&keywords=walking%2Bstool&qid=1717604771&sprefix=walking%2Bstool%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

This isn't the one I used at the museum during a multi-hour tour but it's the idea. Maybe you can find one that is lighter. It made a RADICAL difference in how I felt at the end of each day. I just walked around with it during the tour and every time the guide paused for even a minute I SAT MY BUTT DOWN.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Home'scool said:

Ugh I had that once. It started out small but became full blown quickly. Every time I got out of bed it would take me so long to be able to walk normally.

A nurse friend described it that the muscle is like a window shade that has rolled up. And it does last a long time.

The best relief I got was compression socks made specifically for plantar fasciitis that I would wear overnight. I would recommend getting some and sleeping with them on. Once I used those it got much, much better.

Compression socks ordered, thanks! 

1 hour ago, desertflower said:

There’s a splint that I wore at nights. Got it from Amazon.

the socks helped too. 

what really helped me this time was new shoes and insoles!  I had to go to Road Runner Sports where they personalize insoles. 

plus, stretching and icing and Motrin helped too.  

Bottomline: Motrin, new shoes and inserts for immediate relief. 

Good luck tomorrow and I hope it goes away soon! 

I started Motrin last night. Stretching too. Thx!.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Fill a plastic water bottle almost full of water, freeze it, then use it as a foot massage to roll under your sore foot. You can also use a ball (tennis ball) to massage under the foot, but the ice is nice for dulling the pain. 

Wear footwear with really good arch support always when walking, even around the house. 

Gently stretch the back of the lower legs (calves) and the back of the upper legs (hamstrings), as the tension can extend up and down the entire leg. 

I would put the long walk on hold during this flare up. You may end up with much worse and longer lasting pain if you push too soon. Also, I find that the walking surface, such as hard pavement/asphalt is much harder on my feet and arches than walking on a softer surface like dirt in the woods. 

Insole aren't going to fix much in a day. They may be ok for extended use to help prevent flares and pain.

I remembered the stretching this morning, but have forgotten everytime since. 

I am taking a group of kids on an all day specialized tour,there is no backing out 🙂

1 hour ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Every single time you are about to rise to your feet, stretch them as far back toward your shins as you can first.  (Gently though).  That reduces the initial pain upon standing.

Fill your pockets with enteric aspirin tomorrow and take it as a regimen.  Actually, start taking it today.

Rather than an insole I suggest going out shopping today and buying either Dansko sandals (the Sophia model was particularly helpful for me, and can be worn with socks if necessary) or Abeo ones.  You want a low heel, but not absolute flats.  Those both have the best and most firm arch support I have found, and are immensely helpful in a bad flare.

Those are the immediate things I would focus on to get through the next couple of days.  They won’t get rid of it, but they will mitigate it about as much as you can do quickly.

Then look in the general board for my thread from waaaay back titled “Plantar Fascitis—What Has Helped You?” That was a fantastic crowd sourced resource for the long run.

Do you feel the firmer sandal are better? Right now my Oofos feel the best. I'll look up those sandals. 

34 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Even though this is probably not what @Shelydon wants to hear, reality is that plantar F progresses into heel spurs, meaning there's truth to this. I would at least not be heroic. Get a WALKING STOOL which is this cute little three legged thing that folds up, weighs very little, and USE it. I did this when I was coming off some bad foot issues (the next step you're looking at) and had to be on my feet. If you USE the walking stool, you could sit half the time at least. Don't be heroic. Compel other people to help, sit, refuse to do stupid things.

Yes on the rolling with ice, yes on the good insoles. If you get them made at a running store that does custom made insoles (same day) and wear, wear, wear them for everything it can help. It may be that you've already progressed to heel spurs and don't realize it. They show up on xrays and get you a nice trip to the orthoped. In that case, the gel cups that go in the heel of your shoe can help and they give you a special boot to wear at night.

If you can get into an orthopedic doctor, they can give you some things to help yourself. Really though, take care of yourself tomorrow and don't be heroic. Nothing that is happening there is worth it. 

https://www.amazon.com/COOZMENT-Non-Slip-Capacity(13-Parallel-Bars/dp/B0BGBKM3YX/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?crid=2FQIJPIK8HJP8&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.67EYoA4QJS1Hm5HL74r2NzZqWAH6ItK9Txr8YZ8lWld-5R9fauG0iAolUFBszd9Nozkw6badCgVIb7ZQxbDgifGmHHRglrUGHstFeffTC1kku_gSJ7YOHySh4JSUqAezP0VWHS0r74uc3cCs_FrqCl593UkKR0pWIK1Wsede3MFRKfi4bhlpVn2h1Z4mD7_WiCnbCb0FfIpsAXu1AWGJqsZx44QlbxHywVs8iFU-r2RCM4N0Hhh-D8hHY5x2DeqVvkBsU_JiO-MWYXT4vbbS-DB5FvjoSelJDmL4VmSBehg.bARbD3h9DC9wemQ2Mg0u9xEP9-U2uMwhWfaC670e6w0&dib_tag=se&keywords=walking%2Bstool&qid=1717604771&sprefix=walking%2Bstool%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

This isn't the one I used at the museum during a multi-hour tour but it's the idea. Maybe you can find one that is lighter. It made a RADICAL difference in how I felt at the end of each day. I just walked around with it during the tour and every time the guide paused for even a minute I SAT MY BUTT DOWN.

I have a little stool! I'll bring it. Good idea. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

Do you feel the firmer sandal are better? Right now my Oofos feel the best. I'll look up those sandals. 

What I found was that the firmer arch support was crucial when the PF was very bad, and the softer arch support/cushiness was better when it was medium bad.  For medium bad I used Fit Flops, and Oofos are similar but I think a little bit better.  Plus the heavy firm arch supportive footwear that I had also had a low heel, whereas the Fit Flops and Oofos are almost flat, which is stressful for PF but better in the long run.

Bottom line—I needed different things at different stages.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

I remembered the stretching this morning, but have forgotten everytime since. 

I am taking a group of kids on an all day specialized tour,there is no backing out 🙂

I hope you have a really good day! Is there another parent/leader who is supporting you during the day? If not, can you find someone? If you simply cannot walk more on "game day" then you need a back-up plan. 

I was on a 4-day hike with a small group of women. One developed PF and had to stop. There was simply no going further short of us carrying her out. Fortunately, we found our way to a bus stop (we were in Norway, and rural bus stops near hiking trails are a thing!), and she went home. The rest of us carried on with the hike.

You do run a risk of lots of pain, and your ability to responsibly monitor other minor children could be affected.

Posted (edited)

As you are walking around, try very hard to land mid foot rather than heel striking.  This makes a BIG difference.

Often this results in taking shorter steps.  That’s fine.  It’s good, even.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shelydon said:

You email the parents of those kids and you say someone needs to step up. Are you actually the tour guide or someone else is the tour guide? At the very least, someone else goes along and you only talk/sit while others herd the cats. Don't be heroic.

For quick and dirty instant pain relief: Taping with athletic tape (cotton non-stretch woven tape, NOT stretchy Kinesiology tape that seems to be in fashion for everything lately).  Technique unloads the plantar fascia.  I use this technique. -- I find I can skip step 4 and still get great pain relief.  Magical.

It doesn't fix the plantar fasciitis, but makes it possible to walk.

• Like 4

I've been struggling for a year or so but recently added a toe crawl that I saw on YouTube (yes, I know) but it worked.  I have the heel cups, I stretch my calves and feet.

If you search for plantar fasciitis and towel toe curls that is a similar move.  I can't find the video I originally saw but basically you stand up and move forward using only your toes.  I've been pain free as long as I do this several times a day.

2 hours ago, wathe said:

For quick and dirty instant pain relief: Taping with athletic tape (cotton non-stretch woven tape, NOT stretchy Kinesiology tape that seems to be in fashion for everything lately).  Technique unloads the plantar fascia.  I use this technique. -- I find I can skip step 4 and still get great pain relief.  Magical.

Definitely, this works for me too. I'm really glad you brought this up because it helps a lot. Been doing this taping off and on for years as needed (in addition to many of the stretching methods already mentioned above), ever since my foot doctor taught me how. He started me on a tape called Leukotape, but I can see how other variations might work for other people too.

3 hours ago, wathe said:

For the taping technique, it isn't clear in #4 if you'd use one continuous piece to wrap several times around the entire foot, or whether you use separate pieces, one beside the other, to cover the bottom (and top?) of the foot. Is there a risk of wrapping too tightly, or is it actually a benefit to have that tightness to get the proper effect? 

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

For the taping technique, it isn't clear in #4 if you'd use one continuous piece to wrap several times around the entire foot, or whether you use separate pieces, one beside the other, to cover the bottom (and top?) of the foot. Is there a risk of wrapping too tightly, or is it actually a benefit to have that tightness to get the proper effect? 

I do this technique, including step 4.  I learned it as steps 1, 2, 3, 4 and 2, with 2 locking in the edges of 4.   I don't always need the binding aspect of step 1, but I also have some deviation of my MTP so binding those is tricky. I also use an underwrap to protect my skin.  You might want to watch some taping videos from youtube; you'll get a better sense of what people are doing.   

I underwrap with a pre-wrap.

I anchor wrap (step 2), starting below MTP1 and ending below MTP5.

I teardrop (step 3)

I do the supportive fascia bits (step 4), anchoring up over my anchor wrap.

I re-anchor wrap, sealing in those bits.

Your tape should be good for 3-4 days. I use a zinc oxide based tape. Leukotape has latex, fwiw. 

32 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Wathe is the dr here, so I nod to her awesomeness....but as I understand step 4, it's to support the fascia which are up through the arch. You want to support that a bit....so I do that in a supportive tightness.   Because you aren't wrapping the whole foot, there aren't concerns about blood flow.

I remove tape everyday unless I am hiking to do all of the stretching and icing and stuff stuff.  If I am hiking and I don't have room in my back or I've had someone else do it who is more awesome than me, 3 days max, generally.

When my PF isn't flaring, I can get by with compression socks and rigid orthotics in my shoes.  Keep up with your piriformis and achilles tendon and hamstrings stretches too. It tends to be all connected. 

I am suffering from this too, now. I had my dd's wedding on Saturday and am moving in two weeks! I have had two cortisone shots and am still in pain. I will try all the things here. Best of luck!

Stretches and the bottle of ice to roll on my feet helped some, but what ultimately ended up helping the most was putting on good sneakers with gel heel inserts added to them and keeping them on from the minute I got up to the minute I went to bed. Barefoot walking only to the bathroom. It took a long time to get better. Seven years on, I can wear water shoes or go barefoot some.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Separate pieces, to cover the bottom.  Though I skip this step; I only need to go as far as step 3 to get relief.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, what knocked it out for me finally was daily use of a Med Massager for 20-30 minutes for a few weeks, and also changing my gait to midfoot striking, and also switching entirely to shoes in which my toes can spread out like the fans they are supposed to be, starting with Altras.  It has been several years since I had my last flare.  It's remarkable.  

I will say, though, that I did not get there in one jump, and if I had tried to wear flat wided toes shoes without arch support when the PF was really bad, I would not have been able to stand it.  But I now think of arch support as a crutch while I learned to heal and to treat myself right, and one that would be counterproductive now.  I even go barefoot--something I never thought I would do again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, wathe said:

Thank you! I have KT tape, will try this tomorrow. I've been successful at taping a knee, but I've never tried my foot. 

Edited by Shelydon

7 hours ago, Tenaj said:

I've been struggling for a year or so but recently added a toe crawl that I saw on YouTube (yes, I know) but it worked.  I have the heel cups, I stretch my calves and feet.

If you search for plantar fasciitis and towel toe curls that is a similar move.  I can't find the video I originally saw but basically you stand up and move forward using only your toes.  I've been pain free as long as I do this several times a day.

I'll look this up! I've been doing multiple other stretches but I had not heard of this one. 

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

FWIW, what knocked it out for me finally was daily use of a Med Massager for 20-30 minutes for a few weeks, and also changing my gait to midfoot striking, and also switching entirely to shoes in which my toes can spread out like the fans they are supposed to be, starting with Altras.  It has been several years since I had my last flare.  It's remarkable.  

I will say, though, that I did not get there in one jump, and if I had tried to wear flat wided toes shoes without arch support when the PF was really bad, I would not have been able to stand it.  But I now think of arch support as a crutch while I learned to heal and to treat myself right, and one that would be counterproductive now.  I even go barefoot--something I never thought I would do again.

I have a massage gun that I used tonight. I'm hoping it will help. 

I wear a lot of New Balance sneakers a s sandals from Orthoheel. Theoretically, my shoes are all designed to be good for your feet. I get Morton's neuroma if I wear bad shoes.  But .... I apparently did something to cause this.

10 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

As you are walking around, try very hard to land mid foot rather than heel striking.  This makes a BIG difference.

Often this results in taking shorter steps.  That’s fine.  It’s good, even.

I'll have to practice this and see if I can get the hang of it, it seems so wrong 😄

On the foot opposite of the one that I currently have PF, I have a Morton's neuroma that becomes easily aggravated. As I'm reading up on shoes (zero drop, barefoot etc) that are best for PF, I know for sure that they caused the neuroma to really flare. It seems I need two types of shoes, that would look interesting walking around with different shoes. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Shelydon said:

Thank you! I have KT tape, will try this tomorrow. I've been successful at taping a knee, but I've never tried my foot. 

KT tape is probably too stretchy.  Cheap athletic/trainer's tape (the white woven stuff), or leukotape, will work better.

8 minutes ago, wathe said:

KT tape is probably too stretchy.  Cheap athletic/trainer's tape (the white woven stuff), or leukotape, will work better.

I have some of the athletic type too. I'll give that a try

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

As far as quick relief goes, I’ve had the best luck with relieving calf muscle tension (I think I just looked for YouTube videos.) I wasn’t trying to relieve plantar fasciitis pain, it just happened that the relief was really noticeable after I worked some of the tension out of my calves. That said, sometimes the relief is short-lived, as the muscles quickly tighten back up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emba said:

As far as quick relief goes, I’ve had the best luck with relieving calf muscle tension (I think I just looked for YouTube videos.) I wasn’t trying to relieve plantar fasciitis pain, it just happened that the relief was really noticeable after I worked some of the tension out of my calves. That said, sometimes the relief is short-lived, as the muscles quickly tighten back up.  

Yes, daily stretching is key, at least for me (and my dogs). I've actually started taking tips from my dogs. When they get up from laying down, they stretch their full body from head to toe. I mimic them, and it is amazing! They really have got something going there! 😀

I'm trying to build in daily stretching to all the joints around my body that tend to feel the most tension, and I'll stretch joints on either side of the target ones. 

• Like 1

Quick = my dh nudged me to buy more expensive tennis shoes, with memory foam.  I now wear these tennis shoes whenever I have a long day on my feet.  In reading this thread, I realized I no longer have the PF pain.  

2 hours ago, Shelydon said:

I survived!  Got home and ordered some Leukotape and Dansko shoes 😄

Take time to break them in - my plantar fasciitis started after I wore a new pair of Danskos all day without breaking them in first. They were comfy and didn't give me blisters so I didn't think twice about it until I could barely walk the next day!

5 hours ago, Shelydon said:

I survived!  Got home and ordered some Leukotape and Dansko shoes 😄

Don’t hesitate to talk to primary care and ask for a PT referral. I struggled with plantar facitis for over a year, trying one thing or another before I went in. I went to PT for six months to get help and it rarely flares up now. The taping & exercises they taught me really helped & being able to build up from gentle exercises towards more demanding ones without hurting myself and making real progress after so long was such a relief.