Menu

recipes needed

we are moving 900 miles from our current home, so I am trying to use up much of our stash of hamburger as I can.   I need creative, but easy recipes. However, I want something other than your typical tomato pasta dishes  (as I have a ton of variations on that theme).  Crock pot meals would be ideal as I am still trying to hold down a part time job until the move, but am totally open to others as variation is key.  I am trying to feed myself, my husband and 2 college aged boys...so something hearty too.  Thanks for your ideas. 

Borek is easy, especially if you can find yufka (there are several international stores near me that sell it).  I do something like this recipe, but I change the liquid a bit and do 100 ml oil, 150 ml milk, 150 ml yogurt, and 1 egg to make a softer version. For a simple meat filling, you can combine two pounds of cooked ground beef with some garlic power, onion powder, salt, and cayenne pepper to taste.  Use it it place of the cheese filling.   https://vidarbergum.com/recipe/turkish-tray-borek-with-cheese/

Runzas are another great option, and they freeze well if you want some on hand for an easy meal while you're moving.   https://myfarmhousetable.com/nebraskas-homemade-runza/

I recommend browning and re-freezing some of that beef in increments of whatever size you use for most recipes to save on time. Chop up scallions/onions/peppers ahead of time or buy bagged and frozen.

I am not a crock pot person, but there are ways to save on time with skillet meals too.

Sliced or shredded potatoes, red bell peppers, ground beef, salt, and pepper can be sautéed together for a delicious one dish meal. Seems like you start with potatoes, then beef, then the peppers to not over cook anything. Pepper color doesn’t matter, so you could make this faster by using frozen shredded potatoes (for hash browns) and/or frozen pepper slices.

I make a stir fry that I just played with—no hard and fast rules as I made it up myself:

scallions, cilantro, garlic (fresh ginger if you have time)

carrots and cabbage (can buy shredded already, sometimes separately or together)

Ground beef

Finish with sesame seeds or peanuts, ground ginger (to taste if you didn’t use fresh), and a squeeze of lime

Can be served over rice or rice noodles; if you want low carb, skip those and increase the cabbage 

The Bisquick box has an Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie recipe that is fast and delish. (Also good with breakfast sausage.)

SunBird sauce packet for Broccoli something or other—can be used with ground beef, and frozen/fresh green beans or sliced bell peppers work equally well as broccoli flavor-wise

Taco meat

Scallions, garlic, and ground beef is delicious alone with steamed veggies on the side

• Like 1

We do a faux stroganoff -- ground beef, mix with cream of mushroom & sour cream, salt, pepper, and maybe garlic to taste; serve over rice

A variation of chili as a meal -- ground beef, tomato sauce, add in whatever canned beans you have (black, pinto, red/kidney, etc.) (or a mix), season with salt, pepper, chili powder; serve with cornbread, or crackers, or rice, top with cheddar cheese as desired

All manner of taco variation -- ground beef, salsa or tomato sauce, taco seasoning (or do your own - cumin, salt, pepper) -- add refried beans then turn into quesadillas, spread onto tortillas & top with cheese, heat & serve; add black beans & corn and turn into regular tacos or nachos, top with cheese; use an enchilada sauce & bake as enchiladas instead

Use as a topping in baked potatoes

Turn into sloppy joes 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/hobo-dinner-packs-hamburger-potato/

These are so simple, but really good! You can adjust the amount of potatoes, carrots, etc to fit needs. The magic happens by cooking it all together in the foil packets. 

This is good, too. But increase the spices. 
https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-beef-and-potato-au-gratin/

And if you’re in the mood for soup-ish, try this:

https://damndelicious.net/2014/03/15/one-pot-chili-mac-cheese/

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know you don't want tomato

but pastitsio?   basically greek lasagna, but much faster and easier to make. (and yes, I'm cheap and still use elbow macaroni (less than it calls for) instead of straight macaroni)  and so good . . . and 2ds will eat leftovers until it's gone.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Chili and shepherd's pie. Actually if people want to be nit-picky, with beef it's cottage pie. 

Gyros - cook the beef with an onion and tons of garlic, add a couple tablespoons of this seasoning: https://trinaholden.com/a-hero-of-a-gyro/ and a spoonful of tomato paste. Slap on top of some pitas with yogurt/cucumber/lemon juice/salt & pepper/garlic/dill sauce, tomatoes, and shredded lettuce. 

This is tasty: https://www.raisinggenerationnourished.com/2021/08/one-skillet-copycat-hamburger-helper-gluten-free-dairy-free-veggie-loaded/ 

Nachos: Cook beef with onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika. Toss with tomatoes, avocado, beans, and cheese on top of chips and bake 350° for 5 minutes. Squeeze fresh lime and sprinkle cilantro on top after baking. 

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
Fixed typos

Posted (edited)

I would make a large batch of meatloaf and/or meatballs . Freeze in meal size proportions. Quick meal would be meatloaf, baked potatoes in the microwave and a veggie or salad. 

Edited by KatieJ
  • Like 4

Cabbage roll casserole has all the flavors of cabbage rolls with less work. It freezes well too.  The pioneer woman meatloaf is tasty and uses a lot of ground beef. Plain ol’ packet tacos are easy. You can also search for middle eastern or asian recipes for serving over rice. 

Stuffed peppers--cooked ground meat and whatever else you have on hand that you are trying to use up--canned corn, rice, onions, celery, tomatoes, etc.

You can buy Cajun dirty rice mixes (Zatarins or Tony Cachere's) or search online for some recipes.  Many will call for sausage or other ingredients, but you can make it with just ground beef.

If I were looking at serving a lot of ground beef recipes over the next month and wanted variety plus ease, I would saute the meat in the three large batches--one with Italian style seasonings, one with Mexican seasonings, and one with cajun seasonings.   Then I could have spaghetti and meat sauce, a pasta bake, etc with the Italian season meat; tacos, nachos, frito pie, taco salad (will mix well with black beans, pinto beans, corn, cheeses, sour cream) with the Mexican seasonings,; and dirty rice, stuffed peppers, etc. with the Cajun flavored beef.

Here’s where I admit that sometimes I make a 9x13 pan of loaded nachos for dinner. It’s easy and everyone loves it.  I’ve also browned the ground beef and frozen it in one lb bags. This ends up being a heartier portion than one lb precooked weight. I always brown it with onions and garlic then season with salt and pepper. Everything I make with ground beef needs that anyway. 

38 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Here’s where I admit that sometimes I make a 9x13 pan of loaded nachos for dinner. It’s easy and everyone loves it.  

I know this is a dumb question, but I love nachos and have never made them.  How do you make these?  

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kassia said:

I know this is a dumb question, but I love nachos and have never made them.  How do you make these?  

I precook and season the meat. Then I load a pan (with sides)with chips, top with hot, seasoned meat, and a layer of cheese. You can add refried beans or some rinsed drained black beans if you like. I heat the refried beans first but not the black beans. Then, toss it in the oven just long enough to melt the cheese but not long enough to scorch the chips (maybe five minutes . . . watch it)

I pull it out of the oven and cut servings with a spatula like it’s a lasagna. Then I serve it with toppings like salsa, sour cream, jalapeños, guacamole, cilantro, green onions, etc.  people top their own. You can use any seasoned meat you like or just do beans for veggie night. It’s pretty much a deconstructed taco. 

You can’t even do it wrong. If you want to just put chips on your plate from the bag, then top with everything it’s fine. The hot meat will melt your cheese or you can use queso. It’s just a deconstructed taco. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/wZBPctAKQMQ?si=hU1wrhO-0A9IfAdL

Edited by KungFuPanda
Spelling errors I couldn’t let go
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

My boys love something I do with ground beef. 

I brown it and then season it like I do for hamburgers (seasoning salt, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, Worcestershire sauce) and add some ketchup. I mix it into some good quality mac and cheese. So, it's like a homemade hamburger helper. 

Egg Roll in a bowl is great, too. 

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 2