Menu

new house....floor plan help needed

We are moving into a new (rental) house.  I mention rental because we can't make any structural changes, so we have to work with what we have. 

Picture if you can....the kitchen is in the middle of 2 rooms that could function as dining rooms.  There are doors from the kitchen to each room.  One of the dining rooms (#1)  is part of a bigger living room space and the other is not.  The kitchen has a large serving window that opens to the dining room space (#2) which is not part of the living room.  So, it sort of makes sense to put a dining room table in that space.  (the lighting in that room is track lighting on the ceiling).  However,  dining room space #1, there is a hanging light from the ceiling that would indicate a table goes there.   The house comes with a table and chairs, but we also own a very nice table and chair set that we are bringing with us...so we have 2 sets...one really nice and one just average. 

So....do we put a table and chair set in each room?  If so, which one goes on which side? 

Also....to add to the decision.....there is a sunroom that runs the length of the dining room #1, kitchen and dining room #2  with entrances to both dining rooms. There is a ceiling fan in the sunroom that enters from dining room #2, which could also be a place for a table and chairs. 

So....if you followed that at all....where would you put 2 sets of tables and chairs?  

I would love to use the dining room space #1 as a sitting room, but that hanging lamp is in the way, so I don't know how that could even work since we can't remove it. 

I am completely open to any and all ideas that you guys shoot at me.  We are moving at the end of July and this house is 900 miles from where we currently are, so we can't go back and forth between the 2 places for measurements or anything like that.  

I added 2 pictures to help you visualize what I am saying. 

thanks for your help!

image.jpeg.a1ab83d8cad3c1ddb579b56123f1edf6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ac17c9c08fdfb9871782ccced3ad28a9.jpeg

Posted (edited)

It looks like you’ll have a great amount of space to work with! I’d put the nicer dining set in #2 and the other set in the sunroom off #2. For several reasons—1) it will be a nice, cohesive flow of eating areas that would even be nice if all spaces were being used for eating at the same time. 2) #1 would be a much better area for extended living/seating (as you mentioned) bc of the fireplace and living area in that part of the house. So, the “problem” with that is just the hanging light? Suuuuper easy fix! Just take it down and put a regular light fixture there. It is a very easy thing to do and YouTube could probably tell you how if you don’t know how already. We’re a military family and often take down ugly, hanging lights, or regular lights to put in a ceiling fan, etc. Then we just put the original light back in when we move out. Ceiling fan is a bit more complicated, but changing out light fixtures really isn’t at all. If for some reason this is still a complete “no way”, I’d still use that as a sitting area and maybe try to put a couple of armchairs on each side and a little table between (with the hanging light above). 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 5

My view is that nothing is set in stone and staying open minded and flexible will help you find the perfect use of the space. When you arrive and unpack put the table(s) someplace that makes sense. Use the house. If you find one is covered in junk, remove it or find a way to dedicate it for something else, like puzzles. 

This is how I manage everywhere I have moved. 

• Like 1

I would NOT put a dining table I planned to use for eating on the light colored carpeting. Nope. I'd ruin the carpeting! I'd use the one with the darker shorter carpet as the dining room, and put a more casual table in the sunroom which hopefully isn't carpeted. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I would NOT put a dining table I planned to use for eating on the light colored carpeting. Nope. I'd ruin the carpeting! I'd use the one with the darker shorter carpet as the dining room, and put a more casual table in the sunroom which hopefully isn't carpeted. 

There is carpet throughout most of the house....but yeah, I see your point with the darker carpet in one of the rooms.   We no longer have small children, it just my husband and me most of the time and we have 2 college aged boys and one married daughter.  The sunroom is also carpeted. 

42 minutes ago, mmasc said:

It looks like you’ll have a great amount of space to work with! I’d put the nicer dining set in #2 and the other set in the sunroom off #2. For several reasons—1) it will be a nice, cohesive flow of eating areas that would even be nice if all spaces were being used for eating at the same time. 2) #1 would be a much better area for extended living/seating (as you mentioned) bc of the fireplace and living area in that part of the house. So, the “problem” with that is just the hanging light? Suuuuper easy fix! Just take it down and put a regular light fixture there. It is a very easy thing to do and YouTube could probably tell you how if you don’t know how already. We’re a military family and often take down ugly, hanging lights, or regular lights to put in a ceiling fan, etc. Then we just put the original light back in when we move out. Ceiling fan is a bit more complicated, but changing out light fixtures really isn’t at all. If for some reason this is still a complete “no way”, I’d still use that as a sitting area and maybe try to put a couple of armchairs on each side and a little table between (with the hanging light above). 

your thoughts on the table were my original thoughts until I noticed the light in the other room.  

AND my husband is not super handy when it comes to home stuff....so what might be really easy to you, isn't so much to us.  maybe we could figure it out....But I could see doing your "plan B"....with a small table and 2 chairs under the light.....

thanks.

It's nice when you can have a table on one side of a living room, so yes, I'd make #2 my "dining" room, but in #1, I'd keep a table for puzzles, games, etc. (unless you want to find someone who can change out the light for you). Then you could make the sunroom into the sitting room you are wanting, with comfy chairs, etc. It might be larger than you were wanting, but it could have the functionality of being a nice place to sit and read or visit. If you do change out the light, you could move the owner's table to the sunroom and use it as a game/puzzle/extra dining table out there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

It's nice when you can have a table on one side of a living room, so yes, I'd make #2 my "dining" room, but in #1, I'd keep a table for puzzles, games, etc. (unless you want to find someone who can change out the light for you). Then you could make the sunroom into the sitting room you are wanting, with comfy chairs, etc. It might be larger than you were wanting, but it could have the functionality of being a nice place to sit and read or visit. If you do change out the light, you could move the owner's table to the sunroom and use it as a game/puzzle/extra dining table out there.

the sun room will also be a sitting room, but it's probably a 3 season sitting room....so during the winter months it would be nice to have a cozy place inside to sit too.  

I have a feeling we will be arranging and rearranging multiple times until we get it "right" 

• Like 1

First rule of choosing what room is what - It's a rental, you live there - you get to choose what you do with a room.  what would be most convenient?  what would best fit the needs of your family and your guests?

I know one family that had a large eating area in their kitchen, and a separate dining room.  They used the dining room as a tv room next to the kitchen.
D

Do what you want with the space.

I think put the nice table under the hanging light in the main room space.  In the little room space I would put 2 barstools at that bar, and the small table in the sunroom.   For the smaller dining space,  I'd probably make that a flex space- comfy chair or two, crafts, desk- whatever you need.  For our family it would probably be school room.  

• Like 1

Seems pretty clear to me that the living room spot is supposed to house the formal dining room set, while the pass through spot is for the breakfast nook/casual dining set.  I’d follow that, because the layout would make anything else look kind of silly.  I dislike living room/dining room layouts, but if I have one it kind of drives its standard use in my mind.

• Like 1