Menu

Kansas City life advice?

Farrar

I've got a young adult moving to Kansas City. We've been, but for a few days in a totally different context. Any KC folks have general KC living advice? Things to know? Stuff my kid should do during his year there? He may end up there longer term, but we have no idea. He's going to dance at KC Ballet and will probably be living walking distance from downtown. He has no car, so being in a car city without one will be an interesting adjustment. He's really a public transit guy, but has only lived in a city with stellar public transit. We are aware of the streetcar (and have ridden it and it seems great) and the bus system, but further tips appreciated!

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I've got a young adult moving to Kansas City. We've been, but for a few days in a totally different context. Any KC folks have general KC living advice? Things to know? Stuff my kid should do during his year there? He may end up there longer term, but we have no idea. He's going to dance at KC Ballet and will probably be living walking distance from downtown. He has no car, so being in a car city without one will be an interesting adjustment. He's really a public transit guy, but has only lived in a city with stellar public transit. We are aware of the streetcar (and have ridden it and it seems great) and the bus system, but further tips appreciated!

No advice on living there, but congrats to him!  What program is he going to go into there?  

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

No advice on living there, but congrats to him!  What program is he going to go into there?  

Trainee. Their trainees are part of 2nd company. He's excited. It's a "dream company" for him. We'll see how it goes!

• Like 17

Just now, Farrar said:

Trainee. Their trainees are part of 2nd company. He's excited. It's a "dream company" for him. We'll see how it goes!

Congrats to him.  That is what my guess was.  Awesome. I think some of my kids had friends who went to the intensive and are year round students there.  Awesome that he got a position at a dream company for him!!!   That is so awesome!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh my goodness, that is so exciting!  Congratulations!

I have no great advice other than research those transit routes for places he needs to go.  Our metro isn't the best transit metro, but living here without a car can work if you pick your neighborhood for transit access and ease for his studio, etc.  The boards for the local colleges and universities may have good leads on affordable housing and sans car living?  If he can be within walking distance, that is awesome.

• Like 1

If anyone has neighborhoods and other advice, I'm all ears. Or any local things he should be sure to do. Like I said, he might be there awhile or just a year. I'll also take BBQ suggestions, lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Nelson-Atkins Art Musem is nice, and it's free.

WWI Museum and Union Station are both near the KC Ballet.  The model trains are free at Union Station, and there are several theater options there. 

My family always liked Gates BBQ. 

What is your ds interested in? 

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, klmama said:

The Nelson-Atkins Art Musem is nice, and it's free.

WWI Museum and Union Station are both near the KC Ballet.  The model trains are free at Union Station, and there are several theater options there. 

My family always liked Gates BBQ. 

What is your ds interested in? 

Nature, gaming, art, movies, thrift stores and fashion, Asian food…

He also needs a very very part time job.

Congratulations!  I really wish I had more knowledge and info to give you -- I know a little bit but we live out in the suburbs so don't have much first-hand experience.   I think living within walking distance of the streetcar would be fun and fantastic -- but don't know how pricey that is.  It runs from Union Station (I think KC Ballet is pretty near there?) to the city market and I would think anywhere around there could be good.  Westport has hip restaurants and bars (I am not hip but that is my impression) but lately things occasionally get out of hand there late at night (shootings.)  The plaza area is nice (occasional issues late at night there too. But maybe that is just everywhere these days.)  I believe currently KCMO buses are all free but it is under discussion if funding can be found to keep them that way.  For things to see, I second the Nelson-Atkins museum.  There are nice views from the WW1 memorial.  Union Station occasionally has interesting exhibits that come to town.  Loose Park is nice I think.  For barbecue, we really like Joe's KC, but we also like Q39 and Gates.  I would definitely try to enjoy the BBQ while he is here 🙂.  We actually used to live in NoVa, so while we have Asian food here, compared to what is around you, it's not a lot or super great.  But he probably can find something good that suits unknown to me.

• Thanks 1