Menu

Good movie for co-ed group of teens?

Group of 15-16 year olds boys and girls mixed. Doesn’t need to be squeaky clean- it isn’t church just don’t want extended scenes that are uncomfortable for mixed company so suggestive stuff/jokes okay just not nudity or scenes that are going to make good kids squirm. Language is fine - they go to high school they hear it all. 

These always seem like such difficult decisions. Would love some suggestions.

Thanks.

Zoolander has some light sexual content, but it's PG-13.  I'd be okay with that.  Possibly also Spaceballs, Ferris Bueller, Coneheads, or School of Rock.  Something that is culturally relevant but they may not have seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HomeAgain said:

Zoolander has some light sexual content, but it's PG-13.  I'd be okay with that.  Possibly also Spaceballs, Ferris Bueller, Coneheads, or School of Rock.  Something that is culturally relevant but they may not have seen.

Thanks. I was thinking along those lines of something a little older that they might not have all seen but would still be amused by.

Jurassic World and the sequels would probably work.

Boys in the Boat

October Sky

Free Guy might be really fun since so many teens are into gaming. It has Ryan Reynolds and is genuinely funny.

If they haven't seen the old War Games movie that might be another good one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Some teens find it fun to do a re-watch of a Disney animated film they enjoyed as kids (and sing along with the songs 😉 ) -- maybe:
- Zootopia (2016)
- Tangled (2010)
- The Incredibles (2004)
- The Emperor's New Groove (2000)
- Aladdin (1992)
- Moana (2016)
- Bolt (2008)

Other animated:
- Megamind (2010)
- Wall-E (2008)

some teens enjoy anime (these Studio Ghibli films are family-friendly):
- Spirited Away (2001)
- Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
- Totoro

Older action/adventure ideas:
[note: the trailers for these films stink 😉 ; all of these movies are fun, well put together, and have zero to only brief suggested s*x]
- A Knight's Tale (2001)
- The Mummy (1999)
- Galaxy Quest (1999)
- Forbidden Kingdom (2008)
- Reign of Fire (2002)

Newer action/adventure ideas:
- a Marvel superhero movie
- The Martian (2015)
- Robin Hood (2010)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The Princess Bride
Secondhand Lions

I'll third Galaxy Quest

trying to come up with ones they would probably enjoy - but haven't seen

I really liked - Arrival

if they're sciency - October Sky

Off the beaten track: 

- the Assassination Bureau.   it's from the 60s, but funny, and pretty sure today's teens would still find it funny (especially if they ever watch James Bond - which this isn't) 

Hopscotch. funny. There's a g rated version floating around.  (but old enough even PG is tame by today's standards. Both were on my DVD).  Walter Matheau as a disgruntled former CIA agent who writes a book exposing the secrets of the KGB and the CIA while they chase him.

How to steal a million - Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.  Her father is a forger, and a piece is on display in a museum - she has to steal so he won't be exposed. 

George of the Jungle

my SONS added the "cats and dogs" movies to our house server when they weren't much older.

TOGO - Togo was a dog,  led the longest stretch on the 1925 serum run,  (yes - he really jumped through a window . . . )

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Sky High 

All my teens thought this was hilarious. It's fun for adults, too.  It has humor, romance, adventure, and danger in a teen-centered take on the super hero genre.

Edited by klmama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mrs. Doubtfire really didn’t age well.  My kids were HORRIFIED by it.  Between the cross dressing jokes and the idea that an ex was deceiving his ex wife to spend more time with their kids?  My kids were legitimately like WTF was wrong with you guys then???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Mrs. Doubtfire really didn’t age well.  My kids were HORRIFIED by it.  Between the cross dressing jokes and the idea that an ex was deceiving his ex wife to spend more time with their kids?  My kids were legitimately like WTF was wrong with you guys then???

Same experience here.  My youngest didn't make it through the entire film, adding it to a long list that aged like milk.  I put on Dumbo a few weeks ago and he didn't even make it 15 minutes in.  The idea that Disney made an entire movie about bullying and child abuse, then tried to frame it positively, made his stomach churn.  We didn't even get to the blatant racism.

I think with a group of teens you want to keep it either light or have ample space for commentary, because they will talk during it, lol. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Terabith said:

I agree. It was a disturbing idea back when it was made, carried off as comedy because Robin Williams, the master. But, it is an effed up idea for sure. In real life, we would be talking about a parent being sent to psych ward lockdown or worse. It would actually play out as a horror movie plot not a comedy.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I agree. It was a disturbing idea back when it was made, carried off as comedy because Robin Williams, the master. But, it is an effed up idea for sure. In real life, we would be talking about a parent being sent to psych ward lockdown or worse. It would actually play out as a horror movie plot not a comedy.

Right??? Without Robin Williams, it’s easily an episode of Criminal Minds.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Terabith said:

We had a similar response to the musical. Great cast, good songs....but the plot.....

• Like 1