Menu

Movies you like a lot

I was chatting to my young teen daughter about good movies and struggling to come up with a list of stuff I've really liked. What I mean is, I've gone back to see them again, I've been excited to re-watch them. There are movies I've thought were great but were traumatic so I've never rewatched. Other movies I thought were great haven't aged so well. (Sadly, The Princess Bride is more sexist the more often you watch it). 

So give me movies you've liked enough to watch and rewatch. Here's a couple to start with:

Howl's Moving Castle

Before Sunrise

Everything Everwhere All At Once

Wonder Woman

Pride & Prejudice 

• Like 3

There’s very few. I realised the other day I prefer tv series to movies. I think it takes me a while to get to know characters and sort out what’s going on with the plot. So I do better with series where you get to know the characters and there’s some repetition in themes and plots 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I did really enjoy the BBC Howard’s End mini series. I think it’s four episodes and captures the book perfectly

Yes, excellent!! Far, far better than the film with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins. (Though I generally like them and Merchant Ivory productions.)

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

I am not generally someone who watches movies. That said, I really liked the book The Martian by Andy Weir, so when the movie came out I watched it. I've since watched it several times.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I did really enjoy the BBC Howard’s End mini series. I think it’s four episodes and captures the book perfectly

Oh, that reminds me - I did really enjoy Howards End and A Room with a View (the films).  And those who mentioned My Big Fat Greek Wedding, yes that is a movie I've watched a couple of times - it's so heartwarming. 

Edited by bookbard
  • Like 1

Secondhand Lions is my favorite by far.

Remember the Titans (I love a good sports film)

Apollo 13

The Martian (but I've only watched it once because of the constant f-bombs - I usually have my younger teen in the room) I really wish there was a version of this that I could have my kids watch more comfortably because I love the story line.

Some of my teens favorites have become my favorites over the years just because we rewatch them so much and the kids enjoy them so much:  Marvel (Antman is my favorite); LOTR; Pirates of the Caribbean;  Jurassic Park; Jumanji 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

There’s very few. I realised the other day I prefer tv series to movies. I think it takes me a while to get to know characters and sort out what’s going on with the plot. So I do better with series where you get to know the characters and there’s some repetition in themes and plots 

Me too. Give me a tv series anytime. I don’t really have the attention span to watch a movie. lol

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I ma also not much of a movie person so I just rewatch the same ones over and over so I can now just listen while I knit. 😉

Some Like It Hot

Pride and Prejudice (1995. Pray, don't mention that odious 2005 version! 🤢)

Titanic (I found a clean version of it from a now-defunct website where you could buy any movie and they'd edit out inappropriate parts, swearing, 'God' used irreverently. So in this Titanic the only thing you see in the drawing is Rose's face and the necklace)

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (bough from same website mentioned above. No Castle Anthrax scene 😬)

Harold and Maude (not for kids)

Chicken Run

The Help

Edited by wisdomandtreasures
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bookbard said:

Oh, that reminds me - I did really enjoy Howards End and A Room with a View (the films).  And those who mentioned My Big Fat Greek Wedding, yes that is a movie I've watched a couple of times - it's so heartwarming. 

If you liked the film definitely try the miniseries. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Spanglish - super underrated because they marketed it like an Adam Sandler comedy when it was actually a drama about mothers and daughters. It’s really good, but not appropriate until kids are at an age you feel comfortable discussing adultery and sex. It’s one of my favorites. 

I’d argue Legally Blonde holds up. 

I really liked La La Land

I really liked Last Holiday

I liked Romancing the Stone

Otherwise we watch a lot of Hallmark and kid-friendly stuff like cartoons. 

Edited by Katy

I stumbled upon a Rolling Stone article that mentioned Nashville directed by Robert Altman. I have been captivated by the way it intertwines the stories of 24 different characters. The featured songs were almost all written "in character" by the actors who sang them. I usually don't like country music, story lines with a million different characters, or movies more than 2 hours long, but I really like this for some reason.

I don't have the attention span for movies but there are movies from my childhood that I love and will watch if they are on. I didn't say they were necessarily high quality but I will always watch:

1. Drop Dead Gorgeous

2. Clueless

3. Forrest Gump

4. Mrs. Doubtfire

5. Any romcom from the early 2000s

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So I like rewatching my faves but not over and over close together. These are good movies that I would rewatch if I hadn't seen them recently.

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965 version)

12 Angry Men (1957)

Encanto

Up

Pride and Prejudice (BBC version with Colin Firth)

Secondhand Lions

Fried Green Tomatos

I, Robot

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation

The Gods Must be Crazy

Knives Out (Just the first one, not the sequel)

Hidden Figures

Edited by frogger

What about Bob- my favorite movie of all time. Followed closely by

Much Ado About Nothing with Kenneth Brannaugh, Keanu Reeves and Denzel Washington. A lot of big names in that one.

The Oceans movies

Singing in the Rain

The National Treasures and Night at the Museum movie

Paul Blart Mall Cop

Babe, Cars, original Willy Wonka, Wallace and Grommet, original Wizard of Oz

• Like 1

I'm not so much a movie person, but I do like a good one occasionally. I have only watched the first one once, recently, but then read the book, I will probably watch it again. Both Pink Rabbit and Empire are WW2 movies, so they aren't light and fluffy, though the first one would be suitable for children. Empire is probably my favorite movie--not because it is "lovely," but because it moves me so. The last one I have seen twice, and enjoyed it both times. It's funny, but it is also good for thought-provoking for us who tend to lose ourselves in the course of being a wife and mother.

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit

Empire of the Sun

Where'd You Go, Bernadette?

Favorites in no particular order:

Smoke Signals

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Dune 1 & 2

The Whales of August

Blast from the Past (Brendan Fraser)

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris ****

Feast of the Seven Fishes (Netflix)

The Atomic Cafe

An Unfinished Life (Robert Redford)

Back to the Future

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

The Secret of Roan Inish

Men in Black

Fried Green Tomatoes

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Black Stallion

To Kill a Mockingbird

Lots of people mentioned Secondhand Lions, I've never heard of it. Just looking it up.

I did go and watch Captain Fantastic as it was on Netflix - a really interesting film, so much to think about as a homeschooler (and an atheist who often talks about the class struggle with her children! Might have to institute Noam Chomsky day). My kids aren't as compliant as his though.

A couple of people mentioned Marvel and Disney movies, yes, I like both and have definitely rewatched stuff like Frozen 2, Encanto and Aladdin (live) quite a few times with the kids and enjoyed them. I've really enjoyed a lot of the Marvel movies, although generally I enjoy bits of it, I find car chases and fights boring. I agree the Antman movies are good (except the last one). 

And I didn't mention the Branaugh Shakespeares, I've seen Twelfth Night and Much Ado in particular quite a few times, also pretty much all the Jane Eyre (seen at least 3 different versions) and Jane Austen remakes except the last Persuasion that's on Netflix. So really that's a fair list of great movies. 

Posted (edited)

Henry V - Branagh
Hoosiers
Star Wars - the original 3
Miss Potter
Saving Mr. Banks

Seconding:
Night at the Museum
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
Hidden Figures
12 Angry Men
Remember the Titans

Edited by ScoutTN

Besides some already mentioned…

Dan in Real Life

Little Women (Winona Ryder version)

Ever After

Dumplin’

Old: The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

Kid movies:

TinTin, National Treasure, Paddington, Night At the Museum, Ramona and Beezus

Awakenings (forever favorite)

Little Women (all versions)

Anne of Green Gables 

You've Got Mail

The Sound of Music

While You Were Sleeping 

It's A Wonderful Life

Mr. Holland's Opus

The Great Escape

Finding Dory (I just do)

Saving Mr. Banks

Miss Potter

• Like 2

I was glad to see someone finally mentioning Ever After and The Wedding Singer.  Those are two of my absolute favorites, and I think they hold up pretty well.  

I tend to go for light, happy-endings when I rewatch things. 

I do like the Marvel movies, and the Jurassic Park/World movies and will rewatch them.

I've seen Tremors a million times.  

True Lies is one of my favorites but I'm sure it has issues.

• Like 1

Jane Eyre with Ciaran Hinds and Samantha Morton

Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant

Better Off Dead (early John Cusack)

A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott

The Count of Monte Christo with Jim Caviezel and Guy Pierce

Mean Girls (the original)

The Village and other early Shyamalan movies

Talladega Nights 

Already mentioned: 

Legally Blonde

Ever After

Clueless

To Kill a Mockingbird