Menu

PSA Use Proper Names

SHP

My husband grew up in a household where every pain medication is called "Aspirin". It doesn't matter if it is Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, a muscle relaxer, or morphine. I grew up in a household with medical people. The differences were stressed and explained and the correct name was expected to be used 100% of the time. 

The dangers of this over generalization cannot be stressed enough. 

Yes, I taught my children to use the correct names for everything, including soda. 

Teach proper names. Do not shorthand. Just because it wis cultural doesn't make it correct.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Soda? You mean soft drinks? They are all “Coke” here. 😆😆

Soda is leavening, what I put in cookies and quick breads. 

I agree about correct names for medication!

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 12

8 minutes ago, SHP said:

My husband grew up in a household where every pain medication is called "Aspirin". It doesn't matter if it is Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, a muscle relaxer, or morphine. I grew up in a household with medical people. The differences were stressed and explained and the correct name was expected to be used 100% of the time. 

Yes, I taught my children to use the correct names for everything, including soda. 

Teach proper names. Do not shorthand. Just because it wis cultural doesn't make it correct.

Yeah... this won't work.  There are too many regions for it to do everything.  Like someone said, you may have taught them what you "thought" was correct, but it goes by a different name somewhere else.

Medicines are different, especially when talking to pharmacists, but yeah you can't expand that to talking correctly about everything. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Soda? You mean soft drinks? They are all “Coke” here. 😆😆

Soda is leavening, what I put in cookies and quick breads. 

I agree about correct names for medication!

Nobody here says "soda." They might say "soft drink," but usually it's specific -- Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, whatever.

I do occasionally use "soda" when posting here, because I feel like most people understand that.

For baking soda people say . . baking soda.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to specific medications with a general term, unless it was a casual conversation where people will say something like "my blood pressure medication." 

4 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Yeah... this won't work.  There are too many regions for it to do everything.  Like someone said, you may have taught them what you "thought" was correct, but it goes by a different name somewhere else.

Medicines are different, especially when talking to pharmacists, but yeah you can't expand that to talking correctly about everything. 

It will work if using proper names. 

If you ask me and I say "I would like a Coke" and you give me a Dr. Pepper because they are all whatever you general name is then I will view you as a jerk. 

Coke is a name brand. If I ask for a name brand, then I am clearly articulation my wants and needs. Using the excuse that "It is a regional name" is being a dick. 

Pop, soda, soft drink are general terms. Coke is a specific drink under that subset. 

This mentality is the problem. Stop using name brands for an entire group of things. 

5 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

Nobody here says "soda." They might say "soft drink," but usually it's specific -- Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, whatever.

I do occasionally use "soda" when posting here, because I feel like most people understand that.

For baking soda people say . . baking soda.

I don't recall ever hearing anyone refer to specific medications with a general term, unless it was a casual conversation where people will say something like "my blood pressure medication." 

Blood pressure medication is more align with soft drink. Aspirin is a type of pain medication so fits more with calling all soft drinks Coke. 

19 minutes ago, SHP said:

If you ask me and I say "I would like a Coke" and you give me a Dr. Pepper because they are all whatever you general name is then I will view you as a jerk. 

Coke is a name brand. If I ask for a name brand, then I am clearly articulation my wants and needs. Using the excuse that "It is a regional name" is being a dick. 

Pop, soda, soft drink are general terms. Coke is a specific drink under that subset. 

This mentality is the problem. Stop using name brands for an entire group of things. 

You’re fun

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

46 minutes ago, SHP said:

LOL... I mean if I order at a restaurant, I might get annoyed.  But at a friend's backyard BBQ.  I would laugh and say, "No, I wanted a real coke. or something."  I would not take offense or think him a jerk.  There are so many other things to be offended about.  It is funny and might start a fun conversation actually. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, SHP said:

Using the excuse that "It is a regional name" is being a dick. 

Let me FTFY

Using the excuse that “It is a regional name” is being a Richard.

Edited by pinball
Forgot the me
  • Haha 10

I grew up all over the place — multiple regions, but often heard tissues called “Kleenex” regardless of brands. Same for Band Aid. There must be more. Soda (yes, soda) was called by its brand name in our house.

We call meds by their brand names, or occasionally their generic names.

Calling mixed meds all aspirin would be confusing!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, pinball said:

Let me FTFY

Using the excuse that “It is a regional name” is being a Richard.

Ah, you’re using the brand name. Like Tylenol to acetaminophen. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, SHP said:

But what about if someone gives you a different cola drink like Pepsi or RC?  Are they still a jerk?

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

I grew up all over the place — multiple regions, but often heard tissues called “Kleenex” regardless of brands. Same for Band Aid. There must be more. Soda (yes, soda) was called by its brand name in our house.

We call meds by their brand names, or occasionally their generic names.

Calling mixed meds all aspirin would be confusing!

I forgot about Band Aids.  I do call all bandages (like Curad) Band Aids.  

• Like 3

Nobody would hand someone a Dr Pepper after offering them a coke. That would be rude. The way it works is this:

do you want a coke?

sure.

what kind? I have dr. Pepper, Sundrop, and Coca Cola?

and it’s harmless, though confusing if someone isn’t used to the lingo.

but we don’t mix up medicines. Because that would be more dangerous. When my bil asked for Tylenol, I said I didn’t have any. I offered aspirin or Advil. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Here, people often use “Coke” as a synonym for soft drink. We attended a sports team dinner last night. The host said, “Cokes are in the white cooler on the porch.” Several brands of drinks were in the cooler. Everyone understood that would be the case. Nothing remotely offensive. 

Where I grew up, soft drinks were commonly called pop. Same thing.

Of course, when ordering at a restaurant or offering choices, one would specify because people like different things. Duh. Nbd.

Using a brand name as a generic is common and not being rude or inconsiderate. Different usage than referring to a specific brand. 

• Like 8

I still tend to call anything one might take for mild pain, like a non-migraine headache, "aspirin" at first - then I correct myself. I guess it's what we had when I was young.  Yeah, I agree it's very important to call medicines by their proper names. 

Stuff like Kleenex, coke, pop, soda... whatever. People usually can figure that out. We buy Puffs Plus here but I will still ask my husband to quick get me a kleenex. He knows what I mean. 

My late MIL (Georgia girl) stocked Coca-Cola and no other soft drink in her home, and would ask "do you want a co-cola?" I don't miss much about her, but I miss hearing her say that (even though I don't drink any carbonated soft drinks so always declined anyway). But when I visit the southern US, if anyone asks if I want a coke, and I were to say yes, I know they would clarify what they have on offer (as others have said).  

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, marbel said:

My late MIL (Georgia girl) stocked Coca-Cola and no other soft drink in her home, and would ask "do you want a co-cola?" I don't miss much about her, but I miss hearing her say that (even though I don't drink any carbonated soft drinks so always declined anyway). But when I visit the southern US, if anyone asks if I want a coke, and I were to say yes, I know they would clarify what they have on offer (as others have said).  

This is the way that mmy mom and her parents and my grandparents talked. Yes, I miss it too. A Co-Cola....yeah. (all from Northern Georgia)

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SHP said:

I agree saying aspirin for everything could be dangerous.  Like if I asked for an aspirin  and someone gave me a hydrocodone I would be projectile vomiting all over them.  But I have never experienced anything like that.  Someone might say ‘ do you need some headache medicine?’ And then I would clarify if they were offering ibuprofin or acetaminophen.   

For other things…..I am more of the ‘when in Rome’ mentality.  My Dh who is from CA tries to correct me on cultural and regional things and I just remind him we are not in CA. 

• Like 5

Re: medication "proper" names can vary as well, especially as there are generic names and brand/manufactur's names. I think it depends on your audience and context as to what is the best practice. For example, I will use the name "Reactin" for my allergy meds, even though the correct full name is Cetirizine Hydrochloride. It's way easier, and most people I come in contact with will understand exactly what that is. People here my not, as Reactin is actually a brand name commonly used in Canada. However, do most people know what Cetirizine Hydrochloride is? I don't really know. I might not even recognize the name if someone used it in a sentence. 😅

• Like 4

Just now, wintermom said:

Re: medication "proper" names can vary as well, especially as there are generic names and brand/manufactur's names. I think it depends on your audience and context as to what is the best practice. For example, I will use the name "Reactin" for my allergy meds, even though the correct full name is Cetirizine Hydrochloride. It's way easier, and most people I come in contact with will understand exactly what that is. People here my not, as Reactin is actually a brand name commonly used in Canada. However, do most people know what Cetirizine Hydrochloride is? I don't really know. I might not even recognize the name if someone used it in a sentence. 😅

Same with acetaminophen. Someone is likely to say, ‘ do you mean Tylenol?’

I don’t recognize Reactin or Certirizine hydrochloride either one. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I don’t recognize Reactin or Certirizine hydrochloride either one. 

If you were in England trying to buy Tylenol you would have trouble finding it, as this is not a brand name used there. Knowing the generic name would be more helpful outside of your country. Paracetamol is the name more commonly known. Also, when watching British TV programs, it's helpful to know what paracetamol is. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 8

Honestly, if you used the word aspirin as a general word I would think you would clarify type when actually handing it out right? I have never used aspirin in the general sense but it would make sense. Just like if you used the word Coke for pop you then clarify type when actually getting one? 

This is a new one to me but people have their own methods of getting to the details. 

2 hours ago, SHP said:

Wow. You're strict! 😬 Maybe you might want to lighten up a little and give people a little grace. Regional and cultural differences are a thing, you know. 

Have you ever thought that your "mentality" might be the problem here? I'm pretty sure you are just about the only person around who would get offended that someone asked for a Kleenex or a Band-Aid instead of a tissue or a whatever-it-is-you-call-Band-Aids-when-you're-trying-to-get-all-specific.

And the Coke thing? That really bothers you? As others have already explained, the way you described it isn't even the way the "Coke" thing works -- I'm not even from a Southern state and I know that much -- but why would you insist that everyone do things your way when you're visiting a different part of the country? That's just rude.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

53 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I agree. I have never heard anyone (even a doctor) say to take an acetaminophen; it's always just Tylenol.

I'm okay with teaching my kids the types of pain meds.  They need to know, for example, that paracetamol is acetaminophen, or Tylenol in the states. They need to know what to get at a pharmacy.  They need to know how meds react.  They don't need to care what they're taking for a general headache, if it's Tylenol or Motrin.

They don't need to know I buy Puffs when I call it Kleenex.

They don't need to know we have "sterile bandages in fun prints" and not Bandaids.

If someone offers them a soda, they should smile and say thank you, even if a culture clash meant they got Dr. Pepper instead of Coke.

And a new one from Reddit: they don't need to be yelled at if they get the store brand of something and not the name brand product, like Cool Whip.  Nobody cares.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

server—what would you like to drink?

Dsd —- Pepsi please

server—- is Coke ok?

Dsd (crestfallen face) Do you have Dr Pepper?

😁

Me: Do you have Pepsi?

Server: Is Coke okay?

Me: Water, no ice please.

I've never heard of calling anything other than aspirin aspirin. That seems like a really problematic thing to do with medicine. I do say acetaminophen instead of Tylenol and ibuprofen instead of Advil because I usually buy generic medicines and want DS to be able to identify the product I'm talking about. (And I refer to my allergy meds generally as azelastine and levocetirizine--I don't consider the brand names any more recognizable than the generics, but I haven't really been watching TV this century.) I think doctors only say Tylenol because they know you've seen ads for Tylenol and will be more likely to be able to write it down/remember it accurately.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh! I thought of another one! Kind of similar to aspirin for everything that’s an OTC general med: antibiotics. In our house we mostly just say “antibiotics” without specifying which one (amoxicillin, cipro, etc) when someone is sick with a sinus infection or strep or whatever.

When someone is in active Lyme and TBD treatment we tend to use a specific name — but that’s more because they are taking two types of abx at the same time with potentially different dosing and need to keep them straight. But really, I think that scenario doesn’t apply to most people.

I’ve also heard people use “probiotics” interchangeably with what I think of as probiotics (lactobacillus, etc) and Florastor/s. Boulardii, which is actually a beneficial yeast and not what I would generally call a probiotic. 

But when it comes down to it, I do think calling all OTC pain meds aspirin could be dangerous. When it’s not about medications, I’m neutral on Kleenex, BandAids, Coke, etc.

Edited by Spryte
Typos

2 hours ago, SHP said:

So...stop using adaptable human languages?

I think a pre-requisite to that would be to stop being human with all our creativity and adaptableness.

There are all kinds of words in English that started out as trademarked, branded names and are now used generically. Do you avoid calling a bandaid a bandaid if it isn't BandAid brand? Do you call moving stairways escalators even if they weren't manufactured by the Otis Elevator Company? Do you assume that if someone tells you to google something you won't be following directions unless you use the Google search engine?

Language adapts and changes organically through usage.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Cetirizine goes by the brand name Zyrtec here. If I buy the generic at Costco, it goes by Allertec. Cetirizine is 100% better to use as a name because it has universal recognition.

• Like 1

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

Cetirizine goes by the brand name Zyrtec here. If I buy the generic at Costco, it goes by Allertec. Cetirizine is 100% better to use as a name because it has universal recognition.

Yes but it is difficult to pronounce and to spell!  I usually say, the generic of Zyrtec. Lol

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Dh uses the word “aspirin” for the category of pain/fever reducers here also. It has caused a household kerfluffle due to some med interactions here. It’s an ingrained pattern from childhood, though, so it’s been tough for him to kick. I always ask for a clarifier when he asks for one and he is always annoyed. 😉 

2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Yes but it is difficult to pronounce and to spell!  I usually say, the generic of Zyrtec. Lol

So true! 

I have it spelled out on my phone for when I need to write in on medical forms or ask for it in an international pharmacy. Pronunciations vary quite a bit too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SHP said:

But soda here means soda water from a siphon. The generic is 'fizzy drink'.

I agree about the medicines .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I always ask for a clarifier when he asks for one and he is always annoyed

My husband and I do this, especially because different stores have different labeling.  I asked him to grab me a Benadryl the other day, which of course he couldn’t find.  I went to look myself and we had 3 bottles labeled as “allergy relief”.  He was annoyed that I didn’t remember what the store brand of Benadryl that I bought a year ago and never use was labeled and I was annoyed that he didn’t use critical thinking to figure it out and maybe ask a clarifying question . 🤦‍♀️   

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Heartstrings said:

My husband and I do this, especially because different stores have different labeling.  I asked him to grab me a Benadryl the other day, which of course he couldn’t find.  I went to look myself and we had 3 bottles labeled as “allergy relief”.  He was annoyed that I didn’t remember what the store brand of Benadryl that I bought a year ago and never use was labeled and I was annoyed that he didn’t use critical thinking to figure it out and maybe ask a clarifying question . 🤦‍♀️   

This is my mom and step dad.  He won’t read the label.  He will say, ‘the one with the blue lid?’ Annoys my mom badly!

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

This is my mom and step dad.  He won’t read the label.  He will say, ‘the one with the blue lid?’ Annoys my mom badly!

I bet it does!   I don’t know what color the lid is!   Especially since different stores use different containers, did I buy it at Walmart, Sams or CVS last time?  

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the issue is the small print?  Maybe I should stick a cheap pair of reading glasses in the medicine cabinet?   

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Heartstrings said:

I bet it does!   I don’t know what color the lid is!   Especially since different stores use different containers, did I buy it at Walmart, Sams or CVS last time?  

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the issue is the small print?  Maybe I should stick a cheap pair of reading glasses in the medicine cabinet?   

The print is soooo small!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think calling everything aspirin is a bad idea because aspirin is different from Tylenol which is different from Naproxen but I just can’t bring myself to care about Ibuprofen vs. Advil or Pampers vs. diapers, band aid vs. bandage or Coca-Cola vs. Sams Choice Cola.    

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 3

Just now, Scarlett said:

The print is soooo small!

You can use a label machine and create a bigger label for it.

We have a family member with vision issues. We actually keep most of our OTC meds in a plastic tackle box the open spaces in the tackle box has a label, and the pill container has a matching label. It makes it easier to find and put away meds, and because they are all in the tackle box, they dont get lost. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have a family member with vision issues. We actually keep most of our OTC meds in a plastic tackle box the open spaces in the tackle box has a label, and the pill container has a matching label. It makes it easier to find and put away meds, and because they are all in the tackle box, they dont get lost. 

I am not that organized and I don’t know that I want to be!  It might be something I have to consider though. 

I do write the more common name on our regular prescriptions though, to avoid confusion.  Or I’ll write nausea or cough or whatever to catch my eye quickly.

Edited by Heartstrings

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

That is a great idea!  Dh uses black marker to write in big letters on the lids of his meds.  He takes blood thinners, blood pressure med and they both come identical bottles. 

Yeah, it’s more organized than I want to be also, but the empty gap in the box when something isnt replaced is a reminder to go hunt for a missing thing. Before the system, we had lots of stuff get lost or duplicated (6 bottles of ibuprofen scattered through the house) and this is the system that finally works for us. The big label thing helps if you need to label the use for similar sounding meds also. We had a couple of med taking issues with an elderly relative before we moved them to pill packs with date and time on them. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Isn't Zyrtec a planet from Star Trek, or a space ship? 😂

• Haha 3

Google

Chapstick

Tupperware

Frisbee

Jacuzzi

Agreeing with the sentiment when it comes to meds. But I can’t think of another example where the brand name becoming the generic term is a problem. (And from a marketing/branding standpoint, it’s gold!)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

I agree. I have never heard anyone (even a doctor) say to take an acetaminophen; it's always just Tylenol.

I'm too frugal to buy name-brand OTC drugs, so acetaminophen, ibuprofin and naproxin are what I purchase at the pharmacy. The labels on the bottles say acetaminophen... , so the dc learn these names and use them all the time. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

I'm too frugal to buy name-brand OTC drugs, so acetaminophen, ibuprofin and naproxin are what I purchase at the pharmacy. The labels on the bottles say acetaminophen... , so the dc learn these names and use them all the time. 

I am super glad I have my husband.  To be honest, I can't keep all the differences in my head.  I often have to ask him to make sure I am taking the correct thing.