Menu

tablet question

how much memory do you really need?  2dd has four ipads for her family of four - and said memory is what drives the cost.

If I get this - I will probably use it during flights instead of dragging out my laptop. which I've stopped doing, and have a much bigger screen than my phone.

I've thought about a tablet for a while - easier to carry around for talks/lessons, reading piano music/online lessons (what is pushing me to do this now), etc.

Posted (edited)

It depends on how much you need with you in person when you don’t have internet connection and can’t retrieve things from iCloud. My husband needs 64gb since his stuff is mainly in his work cloud and he doesn’t do work on planes. I need at least 128gb but prefer 256gb or larger.

As for online lessons, I find that I can’t use chat as easily when using Zoom on my iPad so when I had teachers who request students to type questions on the chat so that its easier for everyone, I rather use Zoom on my laptop. I have an iPad mini 5th gen, 10.9" iPad Air 4th gen and a 12.7” iPad Pro. My iPad Mini is great for passive task like reading or watching YouTube on flights and road trips. My iPad Air is great for typing documents and doing homework for my classes. My 12.7” iPad Pro stays home because its too large and heavy to lug around but I love it for typing documents or spreadsheets at home when I am lazy to use my 15.4” laptop.

Edited by Arcadia
typo

Check, but in the past Apple has what I'd call a student model, where it was last year's chip, tolerable specs, crazy low price. I have one of those from a few years ago and as you say I use it to play solitaire and watch the free movies when I fly. I might surf a little in a hotel, but it's super low use. 

When I first got it, ds wanted Civ 6 on it. Eventually there were so many updates and extras for the game that it was blowing the ipad up and making everything crash. I just did a factory reset and its good as gold again, minus Civ obviously, lol. 

Maybe see where that budget/student pricepoint is and see what those specs are. It will probably be fine. You only need more storage if you're trying to keep a lot of apps and photos on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

easier to carry around for talks/lessons

You mean you want to do Zoom? I still think you'll be fine with even the student models of the ipad. Right now everybody's devices can do this because it's a universal need. 

Edited by PeterPan

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You mean you want to do Zoom? I still think you'll be fine with even the student models of the ipad. Right now everybody's devices can do this because it's a universal need. 

No,  my lessons are a website and it's a software thing that has more features in the app that aren't' available on my laptop.
and iOS 12 is a minimum requirement.  

I skype, I do zoom, etc. from my laptop.

Edited by gardenmom5

Just now, Arcadia said:

My 64gb iPad mini 5th gen is running iOS 17.4.1. It was launched in 2019.

Is that plenty of memory?  I'm not downloading a lot of videos (we have plex for that, that can be accessed from any device with a wifi connection).   My friend was like "yeah - this was on my roku . . . where did it come from?"  her son added it, - our sons have been friends since birth.

2dd was here last year for a family wedding.  2ds, was driving her around.  his car has wifi.  1dgs and 2dgs were enjoying having live wifi on their ipads.
after they went home, 2dgs was crying because his ipad wouldn't work in the car . . . 1dgs "It's OK, mommy's car doesn't have wifi" . . 

and driving around with 1dgs, - having an ipad keeps him from doing things like rolling down the window sticking his head out while driving down the freeway . . . (it was a rental car, pretty sure their own car windows have child locks on them.)

24 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Is that plenty of memory?

I only use up about 32gb. My iPad Mini is my go to for my handbags. It is the most portable size. It does not take good photos (other than closeups) but I have my phone for that.

If your primary purpose is reading music scores though, I would go for an iPad Air. It does not fit as nicely into handbags but the eyestrain from reading scores on an iPad Mini while playing the piano is bad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

I always buy as much memory as I can possibly afford, even going down in screen size if need be.  32 would be my absolute minimum.    

Most seem to come with that - and for my purpose,  screen size is more important.  10" may be a minmum.

I have a z-fold phone, so I don't need a mini tablet.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

10" may be a minmum.

If you go too big, they'll make you put it away during some of the flight. I would stick to a regular ipad size. Google and see, but when I fly they always ask people to put away laptops. The ipads they let slide. The largest ipad might be more in that laptop realm in their minds. If you have vision issues, the largest ipad is definitely the way to go.

Edited by PeterPan

3 hours ago, PeterPan said:

If you go too big, they'll make you put it away during some of the flight. I would stick to a regular ipad size. Google and see, but when I fly they always ask people to put away laptops. The ipads they let slide. The largest ipad might be more in that laptop realm in their minds. If you have vision issues, the largest ipad is definitely the way to go.

This is primarily for doing piano.   

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Well I see musicians playing from all sizes (mini, regular, large), so it's more about your eyes. Can you get into a store to see one in person? I'm not one to talk, because with my eyes I'm all about the large print these days, lol. 

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Ok, so this is just a thought, but if you just want to throw pdfs on it, any old random, not particularly updated, biggest ipad (that used to be called pro but now is what the 13"?) would do. These tablets have a lifespan for how long they're *updated* but that only matters if you're changing, updating, really doing things. 

I'm just thinking you might find a 13" ipad for a deal price, throw your music on there, then have the regular size for travel in a more up to date version. If you found a DEAL, it would be something to consider. 

• Like 1

Aka it's easy to get sucked into the overbuying trap. The new 13" ipads are typically $$$$$$. Now it might be worth it to you, but for simple uses that tool is not going to die just because it's 4-5 years old, kwim? My dh has a 13" he uses for work and finally let his old 13" ipad drift down to me. I got a bracket to install it in my kitchen to stream and pull up recipes on pinterest. That thing is so old it's way back and it's still completely fine for boring, mundane purposes. 

So if cash is flush, buy whatever you want. If you're looking for deals, something older might be completely adequate for low power uses.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Previous generation iPad Air might be good enough. The bag I am using for size comparison is my daily use handbag and it just fits in. My ipad air usually goes into one of my backpacks. 

Edited by Arcadia
Deleted photos

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Well I see musicians playing from all sizes (mini, regular, large), so it's more about your eyes. Can you get into a store to see one in person? I'm not one to talk, because with my eyes I'm all about the large print these days, lol. 

bingo

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, so this is just a thought, but if you just want to throw pdfs on it, any old random, not particularly updated, biggest ipad (that used to be called pro but now is what the 13"?) would do. These tablets have a lifespan for how long they're *updated* but that only matters if you're changing, updating, really doing things. 

I'm just thinking you might find a 13" ipad for a deal price, throw your music on there, then have the regular size for travel in a more up to date version. If you found a DEAL, it would be something to consider. 

I'm looking at whatever, used is fine - the question is where to look.  There's one site 2ds would use for electronics as they vet the items sold through them.   
since I have a laptop, i don't need a tablet that has all the laptop features.  

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

where to look. 

apple sells refurb directly on their site and also through their amazon store. I think they may also have an ebay store. Definitely you can get legit, direct from apple refurbs on amazon. So wherever it's cheapest at that point. 

I've bought used products on ebay. I guess it's just how adventurous you want to be. Given that things get dropped, etc. I can't imagine the savings are enough to make it worth the risk buying 3rd party. I could be wet on that. 

28 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

apple sells refurb directly on their site and also through their amazon store. I think they may also have an ebay store. Definitely you can get legit, direct from apple refurbs on amazon. So wherever it's cheapest at that point. 

I've bought used products on ebay. I guess it's just how adventurous you want to be. Given that things get dropped, etc. I can't imagine the savings are enough to make it worth the risk buying 3rd party. I could be wet on that. 

Amazon warehouse refurbs - I've done it before without issue

ebay - I don't consider the risk worth it

the other site (name I don't remember . .  ) I'll look at as they can get a good selection.  

Get the best iPad you can afford and get what you love. I’ve had mine since 2011 and I’m just now noticing that the battery life is getting shorter. Mind you, I’m not still updating it, but it still lets me add books and music to it. I use it daily. I love the bigger size and that I can do my reading when the room is dim. I should replace it before it completely dies, but I’m emotionally attached. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...