Menu

Tick removal! Help!

Amethyst

If no tools are available, rather than delay use a fine thread, something like cotton or dental floss. Tie a single loop of thread around the tick's mouthparts, as close to the skin as possible, then pull upwards and outwards without twisting. DO clean the site of the tick bite with soap and water afterwards.

https://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/about-ticks/tick-removal/#:~:text=If no tools are available,with soap and water afterwards.

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Tick-from-a-Dog-Without-Tweezers

https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Tick

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Aagh! How could I have not thought of dental floss!! I panicked. They are on their way to the store to get tweezers!

(I panicked cuz when I asked if it was engorged, I heard his wife say, “oh that’s a big tick!”)

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 1

I'm glad they got it out. Thanks for the reminder about tweezers. I need to pick some up that will work for ticks. I'm concerned my chisel tip tweezers would chop one up and leave part inside.  

Our household swears by tick keys. The 3-pack knock off is the same price as one name brand. We have both. We keep them everywhere. They’re easy peasy, even on super tiny, newly attached deer ticks. And my chihuahua-mutt doesn’t completely freak out when it gets used on him.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, klmama said:

Interesting. Have you ever used it on a deer tick? Or just for dog ticks?

We've used it frequently on both - we're in tick country. Works VERY well, every time, on humans AND animals. We pull them off, put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer w/name & date on it, watch the bite area, and have it tested through the lab if we feel it's warranted. 

(We also take consistent preventative measures, and pay good attention after we've been outdoors - nothing is foolproof, but that's where our family is comfortable.)

Editing: I posted the link late last night, and we DO have those kind, but my favorite kind is this one

Edited by Lucy the Valiant
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

We've used it frequently on both - we're in tick country. Works VERY well, every time, on humans AND animals. We pull them off, put them in a ziploc bag in the freezer w/name & date on it, watch the bite area, and have it tested through the lab if we feel it's warranted. 

(We also take consistent preventative measures, and pay good attention after we've been outdoors - nothing is foolproof, but that's where our family is comfortable.)

Editing: I posted the link late last night, and we DO have those kind, but my favorite kind is this one

Thanks for the info!  I'm curious, why do you prefer this one to the one that looks like a spoon?  

Edited by klmama