Menu

What's the best toothpaste out there

Princess5

We generally use whatever is on sale at Costco, mostly Colgate but I think we need to switch to something better. Not sure what.  I would like you to have fluoride in it because we have kids. What are your family favorite toothpaste 

I’m not sure how to define “best” in this context. My dentist told me to use the most basic toothpaste, nothing whitening or “extra”. I pick Crest or Colgate, whichever I can get in the basic form, which isn’t always easy. Other people might need other products.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I really like Sensodyne Pronamel

This is what we use, too. It’s not super foamy or super minty, which is why I like it. 

ETA: Costco carries the 4-pack, which is usually a better price than anywhere else. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 2

I don't think there is any "best."

I use Colgate Sensitive. It works for me, although I'm sure most other toothpastes for sensitive teeth would work equally well.

DH uses Biotene because his cancer medicine causes mouth issues, and it works best for him.

DS uses . . something else. I can't remember. He has no dental issues at all  so he uses whatever he likes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

This is what we use, too. It’s not super foamy or super minty, which is why I like it. 

ETA: Costco carries the 4-pack, which is usually a better price than anywhere else. 

I get mine from Amazon with deals and/or subscribe and save multipacks.  

I’m a dentist. I use regular Crest. The most important ingredient in any toothpaste is the fluoride. So if you want to spend more money for more foaminess or a certain flavor, go for it. As long as it has fluoride.

We have mountains of evidence that fluoride is safe at the levels in toothpaste. Hydroxyapatite is probably good, but I’m waiting for more studies. Plus, fluorapatite is stronger than hydroxyapatite so I don’t think it will ultimately be BETTER than fluoride. It will just not be fluoride which some people are needlessly afraid of. (Your enamel is made of hydroxyapatite. When the enamel is remineralized with fluoride, it becomes a slightly different crystalline structure known as fluorapetite.)

Also, many sensitivity toothpastes are effective for sensitivity by blocking the pores from the dentin to the nerve. 

Edited by Amethyst
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just one datapoint but we are a no fluoride family. None in toothpaste, no treatments. And we have well water. Dh and I have a decent number of fillings from when we were kids (using fluoride toothpaste). Neither of our kids has ever had a cavity. They ate healthy food and brushed 2x/day. I think fluoride may be good for people with poor diets (sodas and sweets etc) and/or poor brushing habits. But I’m not sure it’s the end all be all must use for good dental health. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, whitestavern said:

Just one datapoint but we are a no fluoride family. None in toothpaste, no treatments. And we have well water. Dh and I have a decent number of fillings from when we were kids (using fluoride toothpaste). Neither of our kids has ever had a cavity. They ate healthy food and brushed 2x/day. I think fluoride may be good for people with poor diets (sodas and sweets etc) and/or poor brushing habits. But I’m not sure it’s the end all be all must use for good dental health. 

I think dental health is mostly a genetic thing. Consider my two (now grown) sons. They grew up having been taught the same level of dental hygiene, seeing the same dentist and orthodontist, using the same brand/type of toothpaste, brushes and floss. Oldest DS has always been prone to cavities, and (now in his mid/late 20s) has already needed a crown. He's always eaten much healthier than youngest DS (for example, he never ever drinks soda or juice and eats very few sweets/sugary foods, and youngest lives on soda and juice and eats a lot of sweets). But youngest has only ever had one cavity in his life, and that was after his braces were removed. I suspect youngest got lucky with better/stronger tooth enamel, but that's just a guess.

• Like 3