Menu

Trackers (AirTags/Tile/etc..

DawnM

I don't fully understand these.   I mean, I get what they are for, but as I am reading, it says that it is only trackable within 30 feet away?   I guess if you only lose things in your house, that is helpful, but 30 feet is not far.

It was suggested to get some for my luggage for my trip, in case my bags are lost, but if my bags are more than 30 ft away (or 400 ft for Tile), how would that even be helpful?

Am I not fully understanding how these work?   I thought it would be like an iPhone, you can track it anywhere.

21 minutes ago, scbusf said:

AirTags are definitely more than 30 ft. 

If I am in Cleaveland, and my luggage went to Boston, would it tell me that?   Or do you need to be in the same general area?

The air tag connects passively to any available nearby bluetooth, not just your phone. Meaning that, if you are further than 30 ft., it will connect to any other bluetooth available nearby and the location is sent to the cloud. The tag is registered to you and only you can find it's location.

If you lost your luggage in the middle of the woods, there would be no way to find it with an AirTag. But, if lost in an area with other phone users you should be able to locate it easily.

Yes, you should be able to located your luggage in Boston from Cleveland!  I use them regularly, in luggage, on purse, billfold, etc.

Edited by Navymom
  • Like 8

Another thing the tile can do is tell you the last known location.  So, if my keys fall out of my pocket on the side of the soccer field, and I don't notice and DH drives home, when I go to look for my keys, in the tile app it will show that they were last "seen" there (when my phone was there) even if everyone else went home so there are no other devices to "ping". 

• Like 3

I'm definitely no expert, but I think that 30 feet thing means you can track something to within 30 of where it is as you move towards it.

Like, say you keep a tag in your car and forget where you park. The tag can get you to within 30 feet of your car, then the rest is up to you to find it. Even my phone isn't much more accurate than that if I look to see where I am on a map. Sometimes, it's accurate to where I am in the house, and sometimes, it looks like I'm standing in the street.

I've seen screenshots people have posted showing where they are and where their luggage is and it's different countries, so there is a wonderful range with these things and I would highly recommend tossing one into each piece of your luggage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We use Air Tags. They connect to nearby WiFi so we can see them wherever there is WiFi. I can see DH’s stuff when he’s halfway around the world. Last summer we tossed one in our extra kid’s bag while we all went on vacation (with her knowledge and consent) and we didn’t worry about losing each other in various crowded places.

They are great for lost bags and stolen items (though I would not confront a thief! That’s for the police to do).

ETA: this thread has just inspired me to put one on our deaf dog’s collar, in hopes that there’s enough WiFi in our neighborhood that he’d be visible, if he got out. Thanks!

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apple Tags give you last known locations like the Tile does. They also give “left behind” alerts, and can give audible chimes as well. I can say, “Hey, Siri, find my keys” to my apple watch or phone if I have lost my keys in the house and the tag assigned to my keys will chime loudly. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DawnM said:

If I am in Cleaveland, and my luggage went to Boston, would it tell me that?   Or do you need to be in the same general area?

There are reports of airtags doing just that.  One woman was irate, and the airline never answered her, when it showed her bag went to a residential area and spent a weekend there,, after she'd reported it lost.  She even told the airline exactly where it was . .She did eventually get it back, but it should have been faster.

there are a level of thieves who will plant them on your car, and follow people home.   There' are recommendations to "hide" one in your own car - people have tracked down their stolen cars that way to their exact location.

My phone has alerted me to the presence of an airtag which showed where I had been.

Edited by gardenmom5

I’m SO glad you brought up this topic, Dawn, because I also did not fully understand them and couldn’t understand why people would say they were so great for luggage. I will be taking an international trip this year and want to give AirTags a whirl. We’re planning to bring a guitar and that is for sure one thing I want to Tag. 

• Like 2