Menu

Best Science Online Class

I am really struggling to find the best online science class for my son.  He will be in 8th grade and is gifted.  He has completed Alg. 1 and Geometry and taking Alg. 2 for his 8th grade year so most math is not a problem.  He is beyond me with his theories and understanding....he enjoyed reading through the textbooks I had and enjoyed the book and lectures by Walter Lewin. I can't decide his plan for highschool he has self taught himself most physics and chemistry (his love).   I still need him to get credit and I would like for it to be a Christian curriculum or teacher.  What would you recommend and have used?  I have looked at Novare Accelerated program but do not know anyone who has used it?  My older two were not this advanced in science and math at this age.  Just not sure, I don't want him bored but do want him to enjoy the class and get something from it and also get his high school credit.  He wants to be an engineer  so I need his science grounded with practice in writing good lab reports too.  Thanks!

Jetta's Clover Creek Physics was awesome and Dicentra's Clover Valley Chemistry was absolutely top notch, and well organized beyond belief. 

Oh sorry, you asked for Christian. Well, I will leave these here as they were my son's favorite courses other than AOPS.  The chemistry course in particular was extremely rigorous with one very detailed college level lab report (took my son probably 8-10 hours). My son worked harder in her class (granted he was in 8th for Hon Chem and 9th for Intro to Org Chem) than he did in any of his AP classes, even AP physics C. 

Good luck in your search!

• Like 2

Hi,  Sounds like my Christian 9th grader.  This year he took Advanced Biology with a Christian teacher, Katya.  She is terrific!  There is no lab report though.  She taught a MIT Biology course.  My son will take the exam in the end and some colleges will accept it.  My son said that evolution was taught, but it wasn't too much.  Let me know if you want to get in touch with her for more information.

We also second Intro to Org Chem with Clover Valley Chemistry. 

12 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Jetta's Clover Creek Physics was awesome and Dicentra's Clover Valley Chemistry was absolutely top notch, and well organized beyond belief. 

Oh sorry, you asked for Christian. Well, I will leave these here as they were my son's favorite courses other than AOPS.  The chemistry course in particular was extremely rigorous with one very detailed college level lab report (took my son probably 8-10 hours). My son worked harder in her class (granted he was in 8th for Hon Chem and 9th for Intro to Org Chem) than he did in any of his AP classes, even AP physics C. 

Good luck in your search!

I'd love to hear your path of your son and the courses he has taken so far.  Thanks so much!

12 hours ago, desertflower said:

Hi,  Sounds like my Christian 9th grader.  This year he took Advanced Biology with a Christian teacher, Katya.  She is terrific!  There is no lab report though.  She taught a MIT Biology course.  My son will take the exam in the end and some colleges will accept it.  My son said that evolution was taught, but it wasn't too much.  Let me know if you want to get in touch with her for more information.

We also second Intro to Org Chem with Clover Valley Chemistry. 

Yes, I'd love more information and the courses your son has taken as he has progressed.  Thank you!

3 hours ago, Malam said:

https://www.bluebonnetscholars.org/course/accelerated-studied-in-physics-and-chemistry/

Look at Memoria academic, Kolbe Academy, and Wilson Hill Academy

Has any of your students taken these?  We are familiar with Memoria and Wilson Hill.  I have heard of the Blue bonnet but do not have anyone who has taken them.  Thanks for any insight!

3 hours ago, Homeschoolingmy3boys said:

I'd love to hear your path of your son and the courses he has taken so far.  Thanks so much!

Sure! We homeschooled 3-8 and he was a total Art of Problem Solving kid.

Math:  3rd and fourth grade AOPS PreA, 5th AOPS Algebra A (first half of book), 6th grade AOPS online Algebra B  first semester and online Geometry second semester, 7th grade Aops online Intermediate Algebra, (summer was Python courses and some intro to number theory work from the book),  8th grade AOPS online Precalculus (fall) and Intermediate Number Theory (spring), 9th grade he was in Public School but it was zoom, so he took AOPS Calc rather than attend zoom classes. (the teacher was retiring and just recorded the lectures and didn't insist on attendance. Gave everyone an A. )  10th grade was AP stats, summer was Calc 3 at CC, 11th grade Spring was Linear Algebra and summer was Diff EQ. 

He took the AMC a few times, and the AIME in his 11th and 12th grade year.  He didn't study too much though, so he really could have done better. But he's really thrown himself into clubs and organizations, and also really enjoys his video games, so something had to give, lol.

Science:  7th grade was Jetta's Physics class with Clover Creek, 8th grade was Clover Valley Honors Chem, and 9th grade he took Intro to Organic and BioChem through Clover Valley.  10th grade he took AP physics C Mechanics, and 11th grade AP Physics C E and M. This year he's taking AP Bio.

I would say AOPS was the most challenging in the amount of failure he experienced, while Clover Valley was the most aligned with what you would want in the best high school or college class.  So organized, very clear in expectations, Connie is always available when you have questions, discussion board is always answered promptly, midterms and finals (honors level and intro to Org and biochem) were commensurate with a college level class in the amount of preparation expected.  I think it was the best preparation for college level workload -  I only hope he remembers it since it's been three years! In contrast, he never needed to do homework or study for physics.  Of course physics is most math heavy I guess and he loves math:) 

He's now going to UCLA in the fall as a math major.   

His twin sister is not as academic but she loved the Well Trained Mind Academy Biology class. I felt like their classes were extremely well organized as well, clear expectations, and very accessible teacher. (She had Mrs Bennett, I think her name was?)  She also did AOPS while homeschooling, though we did it together and cut out ALL the challenging problems.  Alcumus set on easy.  She then went into Integrated Math in 9th grade, and every time the math covered something she had learned through AOPS, she knew it backwards and forwards. The rest of it she felt a little at sea the whole time.  Public school math is pretty subpar in the experiences we have had - 4 different schools. 

• Like 2

My son did beast academy and then AoPS algebra. Currently, Finishing up AoPS geometry with Katya. He loves her class!!!  Simultaneously, we started AoPS precalculus in order for him to take AP Calculus in the fall with Pennsylvania Homeschoolers. 

my kids have not taken a class there before, but heard good things about it.

My son was all over the place with science. He sought out videos during the pandemic which was during his middle school years. I guess a lot of crash course, Kurtkazac (sp?), and outschool. I hear great courses are good too, but never got my act together to pay for them. (I have two other kids). 

He started with biochemistryliteracyforkids.com his 7th grade as well. Very well done!  The teacher is fantastic!  He is still in it because it’s with the same group of kids and the teacher is teaching medicinal chemistry right now.  He loves it!   

He is also currently taking Intro to Org Chem / Biochem with Connie at Clover Valley Chemistry (self paced). 

To satisfy lab requirements, he is a high school chemistry co-op this year. 

He is also in katya’s advanced biology this year. Will take the final exam for college credit that some may accept. 

My son will take AP chemistry this fall with Pennsylvania Homeschoolers.

Then hopefully AP Physics with PA Homeschoolers his junior year. 

My son may take college biology at a Christian university to satisfy high school lab requirement - haven’t thought this out yet. He’s gifted. And along with his giftedness comes the sense of justice. So, being a Christian, he doesn’t like to study evolution anymore. He had it already and he gets worked up about it. So, I’m trying to find a way where he can take it some place that will understand him. 

anyhow, he may do college chemistry his junior year.  

I’m not having my kids take the AP exams. The AP courses they will take will be at a respectable school that provides a grade and transcript and that is good enough for me. 

btw, Katya will have a molecular biology journal club this next school year. Let me know if you want her contact info for more information!  

I think that is it. 😂  hard to tell on my phone. 

hope this helps!  

My ds graduated from high school having completed university physics 1&2, physical mechanics 1&2, and modern physics plus AP chem and 3 astronomy courses.   

For chemistry I highly recommend Connie's chemistry courses: https://clovervalleychemistry.com/ 

AP chemistry through https://aphomeschoolers.com/course/chemistry/ (Moskaluk's course) is awesome, too.

Ds DE'ed through our local 4 yr universities for math beyond cal BC (he graduated with multivariable, diffEQ 1&2, and linear alg) and for all of his physics courses completed after 8th grade.  He took biology in 12th (Thinkwell) along with his DE physics classes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desertflower said:

My son did beast academy and then AoPS algebra. Currently, Finishing up AoPS geometry with Katya. He loves her class!!!  Simultaneously, we started AoPS precalculus in order for him to take AP Calculus in the fall with Pennsylvania Homeschoolers. 

My son was all over the place with science. He sought out videos during the pandemic which was during his middle school years. I guess a lot of crash course, Kurtkazac (sp?), and outschool. I hear great courses are good too, but never got my act together to pay for them. (I have two other kids). 

He started with biochemistryliteracyforkids.com his 7th grade as well. Very well done!  The teacher is fantastic!  He is still in it because it’s with the same group of kids and the teacher is teaching medicinal chemistry right now.  He loves it!   

He is also currently taking Intro to Org Chem / Biochem with Connie at Clover Valley Chemistry (self paced). 

He is also in katya’s advanced biology this year. Will take the final exam for college credit that some may accept. 

My son may take college biology at a Christian university to satisfy high school lab requirement - haven’t thought this out yet. He’s gifted. And along with his giftedness comes the sense of justice. So, being a Christian, he doesn’t like to study evolution anymore. He had it already and he gets worked up about it. So, I’m trying to find a way where he can take it some place that will understand him. 

I’m not having my kids take the AP exams. The AP courses they will take will be at a respectable school that provides a grade and transcript and that is good enough for me. 

btw, Katya will have a molecular biology journal club this next school year. Let me know if you want her contact info for more information!  

hope this helps!  

Thank you so much!

2 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Sure! We homeschooled 3-8 and he was a total Art of Problem Solving kid.

Math:  3rd and fourth grade AOPS PreA, 5th AOPS Algebra A (first half of book), 6th grade AOPS online Algebra B  first semester and online Geometry second semester, 7th grade Aops online Intermediate Algebra, (summer was Python courses and some intro to number theory work from the book),  8th grade AOPS online Precalculus (fall) and Intermediate Number Theory (spring), 9th grade he was in Public School but it was zoom, so he took AOPS Calc rather than attend zoom classes. (the teacher was retiring and just recorded the lectures and didn't insist on attendance. Gave everyone an A. )  10th grade was AP stats, summer was Calc 3 at CC, 11th grade Spring was Linear Algebra and summer was Diff EQ. 

He took the AMC a few times, and the AIME in his 11th and 12th grade year.  He didn't study too much though, so he really could have done better. But he's really thrown himself into clubs and organizations, and also really enjoys his video games, so something had to give, lol.

Science:  7th grade was Jetta's Physics class with Clover Creek, 8th grade was Clover Valley Honors Chem, and 9th grade he took Intro to Organic and BioChem through Clover Valley.  10th grade he took AP physics C Mechanics, and 11th grade AP Physics C E and M. This year he's taking AP Bio.

I would say AOPS was the most challenging in the amount of failure he experienced, while Clover Valley was the most aligned with what you would want in the best high school or college class.  So organized, very clear in expectations, Connie is always available when you have questions, discussion board is always answered promptly, midterms and finals (honors level and intro to Org and biochem) were commensurate with a college level class in the amount of preparation expected.  I think it was the best preparation for college level workload -  I only hope he remembers it since it's been three years! In contrast, he never needed to do homework or study for physics.  Of course physics is most math heavy I guess and he loves math:) 

He's now going to UCLA in the fall as a math major.   

His twin sister is not as academic but she loved the Well Trained Mind Academy Biology class. I felt like their classes were extremely well organized as well, clear expectations, and very accessible teacher. (She had Mrs Bennett, I think her name was?)  She also did AOPS while homeschooling, though we did it together and cut out ALL the challenging problems.  Alcumus set on easy.  She then went into Integrated Math in 9th grade, and every time the math covered something she had learned through AOPS, she knew it backwards and forwards. The rest of it she felt a little at sea the whole time.  Public school math is pretty subpar in the experiences we have had - 4 different schools. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 8filltheheart said:

My ds graduated from high school having completed university physics 1&2, physical mechanics 1&2, and modern physics plus AP chem and 3 astronomy courses.   

For chemistry I highly recommend Connie's chemistry courses: https://clovervalleychemistry.com/ 

AP chemistry through https://aphomeschoolers.com/course/chemistry/ (Moskaluk's course) is awesome, too.

Ds DE'ed through our local 4 yr universities for math beyond cal BC (he graduated with multivariable, diffEQ 1&2, and linear alg) and for all of his physics courses completed after 8th grade.  He took biology in 12th (Thinkwell) along with his DE physics classes.  

Thank you for your thoughts...what was he able to take in 8th grade in the sciences?  Did he do only physics/mechanics/chem/astronomy?  Did he not take Biology?  My son would love to get away from that but that is my favorite.  ha ha...I am having trouble figuring out when and what for him to take.  He wants to go into engineering and is very much into ham radio and electronics.

3 minutes ago, Homeschoolingmy3boys said:

We also don't have a good community college near here and the university near us will not allow anyone under 16.  sigh...it is so hard to figure out what to do.  He also prefers in person or live classes online not self-paced.

Just to be clear, Clover Valley Chemistry offers both self-pace and online classes.  Hope you find something for your child!

2 hours ago, desertflower said:

hope this helps!  

Just now, desertflower said:

Just to be clear, Clover Valley Chemistry offers both self-pace and online classes.  Hope you find something for your child!

Okay, great.  Thank you!

He took algebra based physics in 8th, chem and astronomy in 9th,  AP chem and astronomy in 10th, university physics 1&2  (so he was16) and astronomy 11th, physical mechanics 1&2, modern, and Thinkwell biology in 12th.

He started DEing in math in 11th. He took AoPS precal in 9th and AOPS cal in 10th.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

He took algebra based physics in 8th, chem and astronomy in 9th,  AP chem and astronomy in 10th, university physics 1&2  (so he was16) and astronomy 11th, physical mechanics 1&2, modern, and Thinkwell biology in 12th.

He started DEing in math in 11th. He took AoPS precal in 9th and AOPS cal in 10th.

Thank you that is very helpful...do you recommend a specific physics or chemistry/ astronomy option? 

I gave you my chemistry recommendations above. Physics.....Kolbe or Derek Owens. For astronomy, he used Great Courses lectures plus the recommended college textbooks (Alex Filippenko wrote 1 for sure.) FWIW, his U let him skip all intro astronomy courses based on the self-created courses he studied during high school.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, desertflower said:

How do these two compare in terms of rigor? Biochemliteracy seemed a bit "fluffy" to me at first glance (middle school level rather than high school level). Is this true in your experience?

2 hours ago, Malam said:

How do these two compare in terms of rigor? Biochemliteracy seemed a bit "fluffy" to me at first glance (middle school level rather than high school level). Is this true in your experience?

Biochemistryliteracyforkids is definitely not fluffy.  It prepared my son for Connie's Intro to Org / Biochem course.  Of course, Connie's course is more rigorous because it's a college course or at the very least she uses a college textbook.  But biochemlit along with whatever videos he was seeking out during his middle school years helped prepare him for her course. 

Biochemliteracyforkids is just 24 videos.  Any where from 45 mins - 1.5 hours.  I sat in a video or two and it's pretty meaty.  I think the first video had some review of chemistry in it, but that was it.  I would imagine that even some high schoolers would have something to think about.  He explains the concepts in such a way where younger kids can understand it. 

Now, my son was one of his set of students, so his class has evolved.  They are beyond the program and sometimes he would ask the students what they wanted to learn.  He would then teach it.  This school year he started teaching some AP Chem problems, but somehow it evolved into medicinal chemistry.  Not sure as i'm not involved in the class. 

It suits my son's need.  But if you are looking for a college credit course or to take the AP exam, this would not be the course to take.

If you have a child who has had some biochem background and want to jump in the class my son is in, you can email and ask him.  He's very approachable and understanding.  Ask if you can even have a free trial class.  Who knows what he will do. The class is on Thursdays at 3:30 pacific. for one hour or so.  Daniel Fried. daniel@biochemistryliteracyforkids.com

I can't say enough about his classes.  It's my son's favorite class.  Katya's classes are his second favorite.  Hope this helps.

One thing to consider-Organic chemistry (and biochemistry beyond the basic level) requires a different skill set than physical or analytical chemistry. While physical and analytical chem is heavily based on math skills and innate mathematical reasoning, and is very algebraic, Organic chemistry is much more visual, and if you're not good at 3D visualization, will be a struggle. For many students, those 3D visualization skills don't develop before college-age (and it's recommended now that Organic chemistry be sequenced LATE in the college program for that reason, because the difference between even age 19-19 and age 20-21 is apparently statistically significant.). If a kid is talented in art and 3D drawing, they'll likely find O-chem to be easy. But if they aren't. it can be a real struggle. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

One thing to consider-Organic chemistry (and biochemistry beyond the basic level) requires a different skill set than physical or analytical chemistry. While physical and analytical chem is heavily based on math skills and innate mathematical reasoning, and is very algebraic, Organic chemistry is much more visual, and if you're not good at 3D visualization, will be a struggle. For many students, those 3D visualization skills don't develop before college-age (and it's recommended now that Organic chemistry be sequenced LATE in the college program for that reason, because the difference between even age 19-19 and age 20-21 is apparently statistically significant.). If a kid is talented in art and 3D drawing, they'll likely find O-chem to be easy. But if they aren't. it can be a real struggle. 

Also, Organic Chem is So. Much. Memorization.

Important to keep in mind. Some kids will do fine with that. Others will hate it.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2024 at 9:31 AM, Dmmetler said:

Nm

Edited by Frances