Menu

OH, BABY! Essentials for gift

sheryl

DH's nephew (his sister's son) and his wife are expecting their first baby.  They live in DC area.  We will not to going to a baby shower and likely not make a special trip to see this wee one.   We haven't driven back to Ohio in 2 years and great nephew on my side was born last June.  

Anyway, I'm having a hard time thinking of a baby gift.  At this point in time we do not know gender.  Do not think there is a baby registry but will confirm that.  Baby is due mid August/first Sept.  She is approximately 20 weeks.  Both parents work.  I think the wife is a medical student but not certain.

Need ideas.  A little sleeper from Carter's.  Sure.  But, that is a small gift (I know it's the thought that counts) but feel like more is needed.  

Will not be "going in" with dh's 2 sisters to buy a big gift such as: stroller, crib, etc.  

Need something that we can perhaps order on Amazon and have it shipped to the parents-to-be.  

Suggestions?  My sister went WAY over the top in buying for her grandbaby.  Some of those "bigger" items were only used a handful of times.  

Thanks!

Baby monitor
Sleepers
Pack and play (what are they called now)

My own daughter was late getting a registry out. I had to nudge her to do it a month before her shower, and her shower was at 36 weeks gestation.  She was teaching high school and had a difficult pregnancy, so planning a party was t on her radar.  I’d try to find out if she’s planning to release registry information in the upcoming months. 

• Like 2

Go to google. Enter their address, then click the option to get directions from their home to Target. If it’s less than 5 miles or 20 minutes, get them a Target gift card. 

If not, I’d send cash and write in the card that the money is for parents. It could be spent on diapers, emergency Starbucks, or takeout when both of them are too busy to cook. Not to be put in a savings account for the baby. 

An alternative would be a door dash gift card. It’s the equivalent of a meal train. 

• Like 4

You could buy them a crib sheet that is partly organic and all American sourced, or an all organic baby onesie.  If I wasn’t determined to hand knit baby gifts for each new baby in our family, that’s what I would do.  They would be able to use it for a long time, and maybe for subsequent babies as well.  These are available from American Blossom Linens.  

Or, if I was feeling more ambitious, I would buy all organic fabric from Vreseis and make a baby smock for when the baby is a little older:  https://www.vreseis.com/shop/foxfibre-colorganic-buffalo-brown-fleece-fabric

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

You could buy them a crib sheet that is partly organic and all American sourced, or an all organic baby onesie.  If I wasn’t determined to hand knit baby gifts for each new baby in our family, that’s what I would do.  They would be able to use it for a long time, and maybe for subsequent babies as well.  These are available from American Blossom Linens.  

Or, if I was feeling more ambitious, I would buy all organic fabric from Vreseis and make a baby smock for when the baby is a little older:  https://www.vreseis.com/shop/foxfibre-colorganic-buffalo-brown-fleece-fabric

Yes! Carol, I pulled up organic crib sheets yesterday on Amazon.   Thanks for the reminder!  Like that!

• Like 2

If you want to buy a bigger gift just ask the parents to be or the parents of the parents to be. 

Cribs, strollers, carseats, baby monitors... can be needed or not needed, but parents also tend to pickier when it comes to those things. 

If you don't want to ask then diapers in several sizes. Some of the larger than newborn sizes are used more (because some babies are newborn sized for not very long). Although newborn size is appreciated because at that stage you are less prepared to go out and buy more supplies. 

Honestly the most useful gifts I got were the basically just cash gifts (Target, Costco, Amazon are useful).  DH's coworkers gave me a prepaid visa card (could look less tacky than an envelope of cash or check if that's tacky in your circles). That got me the thing that I used the most, a baby carrying backpack. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

You could put together a little first aid kit: touchless thermometer, nose frida, humidifier

These are things that parents don't usually put on the registry but are invaluable when they need them.

Right, that crossed my mind as well.  OK, thanks!

38 minutes ago, Clarita said:

If you want to buy a bigger gift just ask the parents to be or the parents of the parents to be. 

Cribs, strollers, carseats, baby monitors... can be needed or not needed, but parents also tend to pickier when it comes to those things. 

If you don't want to ask then diapers in several sizes. Some of the larger than newborn sizes are used more (because some babies are newborn sized for not very long). Although newborn size is appreciated because at that stage you are less prepared to go out and buy more supplies. 

Honestly the most useful gifts I got were the basically just cash gifts (Target, Costco, Amazon are useful).  DH's coworkers gave me a prepaid visa card (could look less tacky than an envelope of cash or check if that's tacky in your circles). That got me the thing that I used the most, a baby carrying backpack. 

I do understand about the diapers.  DD was a preemie and in the tiniest of them but they can run to pick up or have delivered.  I do like the ideas you mentioned.  Most new parents want to pick out the crib.   And, if you're picky like my niece she was just as picky with carseat, stroller.  Me?  Eh, we received a nice, big baby shower and people were generous with their gifts.  Didn't need to be top of the line.  It worked out well.  What is a good current baby monitor?  What features?

This is the baby monitor we used.Infant Optics DXR-8 PRO Video Baby Monitor, 720P HD Resolution 5" Display, Patent-Pending A.N.R. (Active Noise Reduction), Pan Tilt Zoom, and Interchangeable Lenses https://a.co/d/c0tmUQi

We didn't want a baby monitor that connected to the internet. 

In terms of stroller pickiness, for me it wasn't so much the top of the line as it was that I am short. A lot of the strollers didn't work for me because I would struggle to open them because my lack of height. We also needed something adjustable because DH is much taller than me.

• Like 1

On the practical side…waterproof pad, one of the bigger ones. If a kid is sick or tends to be leaky, having multiple sheets on the bed with a waterproof pad between is great for middle of the night sheet changes. Also awesome when someone is sick. Small ones for the car seat are nice too. Nothing like trying to drive hours home from Grandma’s with a kid who has the runs! Or even a trip to the pediatrician with a sick one.

Lingerie bag for the tiny socks in the wash

And yes on the sick supplies! It doesn’t hurt to have duplicates for some of the important stuff. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clarita said:

This is the baby monitor we used.Infant Optics DXR-8 PRO Video Baby Monitor, 720P HD Resolution 5" Display, Patent-Pending A.N.R. (Active Noise Reduction), Pan Tilt Zoom, and Interchangeable Lenses https://a.co/d/c0tmUQi

We didn't want a baby monitor that connected to the internet. 

In terms of stroller pickiness, for me it wasn't so much the top of the line as it was that I am short. A lot of the strollers didn't work for me because I would struggle to open them because my lack of height. We also needed something adjustable because DH is much taller than me.

Oh that's so smart of you.  I agree and never thought about the internet.   When dd was a baby I used an audio monitor only.  Thanks so much for the link!!  

4 hours ago, kbutton said:

On the practical side…waterproof pad, one of the bigger ones. If a kid is sick or tends to be leaky, having multiple sheets on the bed with a waterproof pad between is great for middle of the night sheet changes. Also awesome when someone is sick. Small ones for the car seat are nice too. Nothing like trying to drive hours home from Grandma’s with a kid who has the runs! Or even a trip to the pediatrician with a sick one.

Lingerie bag for the tiny socks in the wash

And yes on the sick supplies! It doesn’t hurt to have duplicates for some of the important stuff. 

Yes, you are right.  Waterproof pad.   I used one for dd and it was a SMART move!  Thanks for the reminder.  I didn't know they were made for the car!  Good idea!  I just feel silly getting the "home care" kit when the mom to be is a medical student.  

3 hours ago, Momof4sweetkids said:

Maybe an ergo or Lille baby carrier or Solly baby wrap? Those would be more expensive than little gifts but cheaper than strollers, etc. Or a bouncer seat (I like the infant to toddler rocker)

Yes, I love the idea of a baby carrier.  Also, a baby wrap.  I had a sling and not a wrap for my dd.  But, yes, I love that idea!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, sheryl said:

Yes, you are right.  Waterproof pad.   I used one for dd and it was a SMART move!  Thanks for the reminder.  I didn't know they were made for the car!  Good idea!  I just feel silly getting the "home care" kit when the mom to be is a medical student.  

I don’t know of one made for the car, but they have small ones that overlap nicely in a car seat. 

• Like 1

My grandson has this plush vibrating walrus sound machine thing that he has used since he was a newborn. He’s almost 14 months now and it still gets near daily use.

We have a pack n play and a folding high chair that lives at my house.  The chair is like a booster seat that folds like a camp chair and fits in a little bag. It has a tray that clicks on. You can use it right on the floor or strap it to a chair. We tend to put it on a high backed bar stool. If they travel or will spend a lot of time at Grandma’s these are extremely useful. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

My grandson has this plush vibrating walrus sound machine thing that he has used since he was a newborn. He’s almost 14 months now and it still gets near daily use.

We have a pack n play and a folding high chair that lives at my house.  The chair is like a booster seat that folds like a camp chair and fits in a little bag. It has a tray that clicks on. You can use it right on the floor or strap it to a chair. We tend to put it on a high backed bar stool. If they travel or will spend a lot of time at Grandma’s these are extremely useful. 

Yes, pack and play is also on the list. I think that's a great idea.  DH and I used one for dd when we traveled here and there.  

A foam mat. https://www.amazon.com/Little-Squishy-Washable-Non-Slip-Non-Toxic/dp/B07BZKDJ8H/ref=asc_df_B07BZKDJ8H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312172248702&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10543885038610821886&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032039&hvtargid=pla-572818511962&psc=1&mcid=188dd3863a3a3fe1a267f9ed4071f061&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiMmwBhDmARIsABeQ7xQw4Bauyr4Ot4D9hLMk8pmJCmZkdnfMMbLfWW3WarPI0trrwETenL8aArPvEALw_wcB

(I liked the cloth ones over the wipeable ones because I can just stick them in the washer; others prefer the wipeable ones.)

If you can quilt then hands down a quilt.

Diaper backpack https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-RUVALINO-Multifunction-Maternity-Waterproof/dp/B07C3SWZXK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1KIZY594FVNUC&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.JSphNbx9Y-8fgLOkDnwFP3v34QlSfo6bnHQWXs0Gm9QUtxMjP3b5MCK3m1IQdJKjyYLVVLUBhjLmKZPwqOGB4E4SCMwawa9QHl7bKpsAla8d5QuClqEf91A0POd7IYXr5P-_Wabg5LVZBM5tW88nYhiWcyyWFJuifGnIgorf-pyKzEvBGt_xR-8ZmL9Fu33TZvvSEKqzWy5rBw03yhOQwAgGjU3on_bYWQeJEQbYmdQEIwkrfzEnJ28SVkh2ujepmjFHcX381eKHjZf1TbgVqWrPp44hNul--0Fu8WM5qw0.L0HSzE8SHtZJ9nYaK9zq4UIayCV6xHc_0JHnkJQ1CxM&dib_tag=se&keywords=diaper+backpack&qid=1712508072&sprefix=diaper+backpack%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Baby wipe warmer. This one is controversial amongst people who haven't used it, but I really liked it for my babies. 

16 hours ago, sheryl said:
19 hours ago, Momof4sweetkids said:

Maybe an ergo or Lille baby carrier or Solly baby wrap? Those would be more expensive than little gifts but cheaper than strollers, etc. Or a bouncer seat (I like the infant to toddler rocker)

Yes, I love the idea of a baby carrier.  Also, a baby wrap.  I had a sling and not a wrap for my dd.  But, yes, I love that idea!  Thanks!

If she is an average size person this is good, but if she is not average size like me, I couldn't use all of the baby carriers/slings/wraps on the market. My favorite sling/baby wrap is the baby K'tan but that is sized, the one size fits all ones I'd have to wrap too many times around myself so they weren't very convenient.  

• Like 1

My adult kids have absolutely loved their (second hand) Peanut baby changer, because it is soft, warm, and absolutely impermeable. (Wipe and go; no need for fabric changing pads that have to be washed.)

They also like the Bumbo baby floor seat. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Bumbo/page/D7EA5422-775B-4875-9960-D305F21FFD74?ref_=ast_bln (This is all the Bumbo products.) My youngest is in a 2-br apt, and they don't have a dining table. Baby is under a year, so they keep the Bumbo on their kitchen island and feed her in it there. The adults eat meals on the couch and, in a few months, when Baby is eating "meals" with them, they'll move her Bumbo to the small coffee table next to the couch.

Either of these items could be sent to your family via Amazon, and you could mail a nice card separately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clarita said:

A foam mat. https://www.amazon.com/Little-Squishy-Washable-Non-Slip-Non-Toxic/dp/B07BZKDJ8H/ref=asc_df_B07BZKDJ8H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312172248702&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10543885038610821886&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032039&hvtargid=pla-572818511962&psc=1&mcid=188dd3863a3a3fe1a267f9ed4071f061&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiMmwBhDmARIsABeQ7xQw4Bauyr4Ot4D9hLMk8pmJCmZkdnfMMbLfWW3WarPI0trrwETenL8aArPvEALw_wcB

(I liked the cloth ones over the wipeable ones because I can just stick them in the washer; others prefer the wipeable ones.)

If you can quilt then hands down a quilt.

Diaper backpack https://www.amazon.com/Backpack-RUVALINO-Multifunction-Maternity-Waterproof/dp/B07C3SWZXK/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1KIZY594FVNUC&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.JSphNbx9Y-8fgLOkDnwFP3v34QlSfo6bnHQWXs0Gm9QUtxMjP3b5MCK3m1IQdJKjyYLVVLUBhjLmKZPwqOGB4E4SCMwawa9QHl7bKpsAla8d5QuClqEf91A0POd7IYXr5P-_Wabg5LVZBM5tW88nYhiWcyyWFJuifGnIgorf-pyKzEvBGt_xR-8ZmL9Fu33TZvvSEKqzWy5rBw03yhOQwAgGjU3on_bYWQeJEQbYmdQEIwkrfzEnJ28SVkh2ujepmjFHcX381eKHjZf1TbgVqWrPp44hNul--0Fu8WM5qw0.L0HSzE8SHtZJ9nYaK9zq4UIayCV6xHc_0JHnkJQ1CxM&dib_tag=se&keywords=diaper+backpack&qid=1712508072&sprefix=diaper+backpack%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Baby wipe warmer. This one is controversial amongst people who haven't used it, but I really liked it for my babies. 

If she is an average size person this is good, but if she is not average size like me, I couldn't use all of the baby carriers/slings/wraps on the market. My favorite sling/baby wrap is the baby K'tan but that is sized, the one size fits all ones I'd have to wrap too many times around myself so they weren't very convenient.  

Thanks for these ideas!  Didn't think about the "sizing" of the wrap, sling, etc.  I always thought they were adjustable.  Don't know her size.  So much to consider! 

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

My adult kids have absolutely loved their (second hand) Peanut baby changer, because it is soft, warm, and absolutely impermeable. (Wipe and go; no need for fabric changing pads that have to be washed.)

They also like the Bumbo baby floor seat. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Bumbo/page/D7EA5422-775B-4875-9960-D305F21FFD74?ref_=ast_bln (This is all the Bumbo products.) My youngest is in a 2-br apt, and they don't have a dining table. Baby is under a year, so they keep the Bumbo on their kitchen island and feed her in it there. The adults eat meals on the couch and, in a few months, when Baby is eating "meals" with them, they'll move her Bumbo to the small coffee table next to the couch.

Either of these items could be sent to your family via Amazon, and you could mail a nice card separately.

I've seen those but didn't know what they were called.  Good idea!  Thanks!

I’m in the minority, but for baby carriers and wraps you wear—nice idea, but I couldn’t use them for multiple reasons, including rather extreme pain in my hips.  We tried several. I also had the kind of babies that always wanted to know what was going on, and carriers kind of made that harder for the most part. Front carriers were especially hard because I couldn’t get close enough to anything to actually reach stuff—it was like being perpetually pregnant. 

Just a heads-up that there are some baby wearing flunkies. 

• Like 2

For the OP, I adored baby-wearing and and wore out the first ring sling, and sent my second one to a relative when they asked for it. (I also had an Ergo baby carrier, a front pack, that my firstborn loathed, but subsequent children and I were off to the races with slings.)

That said, I don't think baby carriers are a great idea for gifts because they are so very personal.

My first adult-offspring-to-have-a-child only wanted to use a soft baby wrap. (I swear it took her 3 minutes to wrap and tie the thing on and just as much time to take it off, but she wanted her own way of raising baby.) The next offspring to have a baby is open to the sling, understands the ease of it, and asked me to show them how to adjust it, and his wife was very open to trying, but the baby has an unusual way of carrying herself that makes slings harder. She will definitely have to be coaxed into fitting into a sling, and I don't know if her mom and dad will want to work at it that hard. (It's a physical thing.)  I made it clear why I liked it and showed them how, but I also verbalized that I wanted them to do what worked for them; they should not feel any pressure from me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheryl said:

Thanks for these ideas!  Didn't think about the "sizing" of the wrap, sling, etc.  I always thought they were adjustable.  Don't know her size.  So much to consider! 

So some have sizing some are one size fits all like the wrapping kind and the slings are one size fits all. The K'tan type is more like a t-shirt you wear and you can stick the baby in. The Moby would take me 15 mins to wrap me and the baby in (my friend who loved it had to wrap maybe once or twice and I had to wrap at least 4 times otherwise I had a train). The K'tan is sized so once you get your size then it's one wrap around and done. The some husband and wife duals can't share because they are different sizes. 

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

Front carriers were especially hard because I couldn’t get close enough to anything to actually reach stuff—it was like being perpetually pregnant. 

My son refused to be in the carrier unless we were going somewhere and it was just for transport. My daughter loved being carried which definitely made it feel like I was pregnant for another year. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I’m in the minority, but for baby carriers and wraps you wear—nice idea, but I couldn’t use them for multiple reasons, including rather extreme pain in my hips.  We tried several. I also had the kind of babies that always wanted to know what was going on, and carriers kind of made that harder for the most part. Front carriers were especially hard because I couldn’t get close enough to anything to actually reach stuff—it was like being perpetually pregnant. 

Just a heads-up that there are some baby wearing flunkies. 

Yes, I'm trying to remember if I had that issue.   I didn't use it all the time and don't think I "shopped" with dd in sling.  But, that is a valid point you made and I appreciate it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

For the OP, I adored baby-wearing and and wore out the first ring sling, and sent my second one to a relative when they asked for it. (I also had an Ergo baby carrier, a front pack, that my firstborn loathed, but subsequent children and I were off to the races with slings.)

That said, I don't think baby carriers are a great idea for gifts because they are so very personal.

My first adult-offspring-to-have-a-child only wanted to use a soft baby wrap. (I swear it took her 3 minutes to wrap and tie the thing on and just as much time to take it off, but she wanted her own way of raising baby.) The next offspring to have a baby is open to the sling, understands the ease of it, and asked me to show them how to adjust it, and his wife was very open to trying, but the baby has an unusual way of carrying herself that makes slings harder. She will definitely have to be coaxed into fitting into a sling, and I don't know if her mom and dad will want to work at it that hard. (It's a physical thing.)  I made it clear why I liked it and showed them how, but I also verbalized that I wanted them to do what worked for them; they should not feel any pressure from me.

I liked it too.  The baby sling.  But, I didn't wear it everywhere.  

Just now, Clarita said:

So some have sizing some are one size fits all like the wrapping kind and the slings are one size fits all. The K'tan type is more like a t-shirt you wear and you can stick the baby in. The Moby would take me 15 mins to wrap me and the baby in (my friend who loved it had to wrap maybe once or twice and I had to wrap at least 4 times otherwise I had a train). The K'tan is sized so once you get your size then it's one wrap around and done. The some husband and wife duals can't share because they are different sizes. 

My son refused to be in the carrier unless we were going somewhere and it was just for transport. My daughter loved being carried which definitely made it feel like I was pregnant for another year. 

Yes.  We never had a front carrier but an actually backpack when dd was 10 months and older.  We did and do light hiking.  It's really not used that long b/c kids grow so fast and that 20 lbs at first year is replaced by more weight quickly.   LOL!

• 2 weeks later...