Menu

Wedding in less than 3 weeks-- my head is about to explode!

Warning-- Mother of the Bride RAMBLES!

My oldest is getting married on a MONDAY and OUT OF STATE...  she lives less than 30 minutes from me (groom does too).

I'm so proud of my dd-- she is high functioning autistic and has surpassed every goal we have had for her-- she is the reason we homeschooled!  She went to college and graduated with honors.  She is an independent adult.  She is the top award-winning photographer and manager for her company (Lifetouch/Shutterfly).  I can gush all day. 

Anyways-- she liked the sound of 4-22-24  for wedding date-- so Monday it is!

Problem with Monday is that many of the services she needs (mainly food/catering) are NOT open on Mondays! 

I'm making the cake and have made 90% of the (dried) flower arrangements (everything but the bouquets that we ordered).

Thankfully this is a SMALL wedding  under 30 people total-- but still $$$$

DD is a photographer so she chose a beautiful venue for the service and another for the reception.

We will have to go from the wedding service to the reception hall and set that up before the reception begins (have just over 1 hour to do this!).  I think everyone attending will have to pitch in to get things set up!  Hard to plan for a venue that I have not seen!

I still need to order tablecloths... dd wants 'bio-degradable' plates AND flatware... any ideas of something that actually looks nice?  I made centerpieces...

DD wants BBQ but the best ones are closed on Monday-- her future MIL checked out the 2 that are open on Mondays and said they were both mediocre at best-- so now looking for other options...   Catering is out-- none are open.     Thoughts I heard last night were Chick-fil-a !??   My DH and grandson would be happy with that!

We cannot bring in any homemade food other than the cake.

For guest book we are having everyone sign a block from a Jenga game...

I have a nice  Welcome to our wedding sign...

Grandson (4) will be 'Ring Security'-- here is a picture of him trying on his tux!

What am I forgetting or does anyone have any ideas?

IMG_5606copy.thumb.jpg.7477acb5d66e9ccf533be9be8f4b6605.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

The ring security is adorable!

I love your Jenga guest book idea!

I don't see it on your list, but assume she has a photographer organized from her company?  Or more than one even?

Edited by Hannah
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

dd wants 'bio-degradable' plates AND flatware... any ideas of something that actually looks nice

My husband's company use these kind for office pantries but they do leak through if food is oily or with gravy.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9VCklRrBMMARzmed1oBTDS0-EzvZbzsEqyU-pkk0hoiEwe94r8y0H11AoSw&s

The Bambu plates that Whole Foods sell have good reviews from friends but are costly.

https://www.amazon.com/bambu-Veneerware-Round-Bamboo-Plates/dp/B00AS72U6M?th=1

I second the food truck suggestion if there are no suitable caterers.

• Like 1

What a beautiful venue!! It sounds like it will be an amazing event and you are such an awesome wedding planner! Your daughter has no idea how lucky she is to have you.

I think I would go with one of the less than stellar bbq places. They may not be your top choice, but they will probably be just fine and certainly better than cold fries and nuggets. Check online reviews and order the sides that the reviews seem to think are okay. (I'm not a huge bbq fan but my husband is. We have gone to many places and to me, brisket and pork shoulder are almost the same everywhere. Dh can tell you the best of the best, but I feel like most bbq is about the same...) Order now and you will have a huge amount of relief!

• Like 4

I'd look for a food truck. I've been to events with food trucks in which each guest was given a ticket for an entree & sides. 

Edited by QueenCat
  • Like 3

A lot of grocery stores will do nice trays and sandwiches and salads for a party of 30.  

The food truck idea is great if you can get one.  It may be easier on a Monday!  

Your ring security is TOO CUTE!  😍

Edited by catz
  • Like 4

In our city-based compost program, all paper plates are accepted as biodegradable. They don't have to specifically say it -- as long as they are paper and not plastic.

The flatware is another thing though. For just 30 folks, you might just buy some cheap flatware and wash it afterward (potentially gift it to the couple, or to a charity afterwards).

Try restaurant supply stores for this kind of thing.

2 hours ago, Hannah said:

I don't see it on your list, but assume she has a photographer organized from her company?  Or more than one even?

Yes-- she was picky but found a great local (to wedding) photographer with experience at both venues- cost more than her dress!

I think a food truck would be a lot of fun. Count me in for a wedding with a taco truck! 💃💃💃

3 packs of forks are $1.25 at the Dollar Tree. Same for spoons and knives, even steak knives. For 30 folks it would be $37.50 plus tax. Seems like a lot, but you could wash it, and then donate to a soup kitchen/food pantry. I can attest to the quality of the bamboo disposable plates. We used those at a wedding in a state park this past fall. They were very sturdy. But chinette, white cardboard plates are biodegradable. I am pretty certain a pack of 50 of those would be cheaper than the bamboo.

These cups are cute and disposable, but also not plastic or styrofoam. 

pack-9oz-white-tropical-greenery-gold-trim-party-paper-cups-eucalyptus-disposable-cups-with-gold-rim-250-gsm?variant=43666554945721&utm_source=google&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItYSR7PamhQMVDnJ_AB1nMQ8VEAQYBSABEgJzhvD_BwE

They are from tableclothfactory.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

These are cups and saucer sets that are eco friendly. They are a bit fru fru, as in tea party, but cute if the colors were okay. Also from tablecloth factory.

-vintage-mixed-floral-disposable-cup-and-saucer-set-paper-tea-party-supplies-kit?_pos=3&_sid=4fcfea6bf&_ss=r&variant=43253145403577

Aw, your grandson is adorable and I LOVE the venue!  Best wishes for the wedding.  My Aspie ds is getting married soon and it will be a tiny wedding that we haven't started planning yet.  Similar to your dd as far as surpassing goals, graduating college with honors, and becoming an independent adult.  We are so happy he found someone special to share his life with.  

• Like 4

Ring security is adorable!

Do you need drinks and something for toasts?

For the food, I agree to go with a food truck, mediocre BBQ or find a great sub shop in town and do party subs. Or could bbq wings from a wings place get her closer to the bbq menu she wants?

• Like 1

I have lots of old flatware- ask around!  Maybe you can borrow enough for 30 people.  Check out thrift stores, too.  I've bought stuff for college kids at garage sales.  Get the word out that you are looking.  If you were by me, I'd happily let you borrow mine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, footballmom said:

Do you need drinks and something for toasts?

The reception venue's owners also own a bar.  Contract says we have to use them for all drinks-- that is fine (prices reasonable).

Posted (edited)

THANK YOU ALL-- especially freesia  !!!!     We now have food!!!-- dd's FMIL just ordered Olive Garden Catering (very close to venue too!). 

I just have to order the white table cloths...

Here is a picture of the centerpieces I made (battery operated candle):

IMG_5570copy.thumb.jpg.0507af644e72d4c17c80603aac9ca862.jpg

Edited by Jann in TX
  • Like 29

Beautiful!  Hope you've enjoyed the planning, even tho it got stressful.  Now enjoy the wedding!

My dd gets married next Friday.  Thank goodness everything is local, and she decided on April.  She could have had a hard time getting things set up if she'd tried to plan a summer wedding in four months.  😉 I have enjoyed our time together.  She just had her dress fitting yesterday, and I got two dress choices in the mail the day before.  Thank goodness both fit.  Yeah--last minute folks, but it all works out. lol

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

THANK YOU ALL-- especially freesia  !!!!     We now have food!!!-- dd's FMIL just ordered Olive Garden Catering (very close to venue too!). 

Gorgeous. I love ruscus!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Oh, great! My bff used Olive Garden for a rehearsal dinner and was very pleased. The centerpiece is lovely! I hope you have a wonderful time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1