Menu

Kate Middleton

Ausmumof3

On 3/23/2024 at 12:47 AM, Ausmumof3 said:

So I have seen multiple posts on Twitter this afternoon blaming either the vax or multiple Covid infections.

Didn’t take long.

I am a community notes person on X.  I will be doing volunteer work w this probably. I am not ananti- vaccer. Nor am I one who believes good food and exercise is what keeps you healthy- peole getvczncer, autoimunedoseases,etc even w eating. Only so- called healthy food an excersing.  Which makes me think about the so called perfectly healthy teacher who ignored symptoms for a few days and then went to the ER.  There they found she not only had double pneumonia but also sepsis. To save her life. They hadn't sacrifice her legs below their knees and arms below elbows.  Only near the end of the article did it mention she had RA and was on immunosuppressive drug (s). The entire part about her being so healthy was untrue. Anti.vaccers were blaming Covid vaccine when it was her meds, underlying illness, and either her not following doctor's orders about treating any illness seriously when on those drugs or her doctor's fault for not telling her to get treatment immediately--- not wait until you can barely breathe.

Last week I challenged a statement made by someone who was following RFKjr ( a known anti c all.vaccines) about how exercis and diet can cure both high blood pressure and diabetes. I said not type 1 diaber4s and not my labile hypertension either.  And what that attitude leadsxtonis feeling superior to all of us who do have some sort of , or many,  medical issues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/24/2024 at 7:49 AM, Heartstrings said:

I’d like to use this as a point that a)Americans typically have no idea about weather/climate of other countries, despite most taking a yeteare of different parts pf the USar of geography in school at some point and b) evidence that Americans almost certainly have no idea about sick leave policies in other countries if we don’t even understand weather.  

Most people here don't seem to know about weather/climate of the different parts of the US

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Most people here don't seem to know about weather/climate of the different parts of the US

There are many factors different parts of the US don't' understand about other parts of the US. Europeans don't understand the US either. Not weather, not size, etc.   

I recall after Harvey, some  . . uneducated . . . person making derogatory remarks about how the Mayor of Houston/Gov of Texas should have evacuated the city . . .blink. blink.  I recall educating this person from *Colorado* . . . that the Houston metro had more people than his entire STATE!

Or after a tornado makes it to the international news, the many Brits who would comment Americans are dumb for building in tornado alley at all, (We shouldn't do it.  And that we should build with brick so houses wouldn't fall down in a tornado) - they don't comprehend the sheer size of tornado alley. (or that a tornado isn't impressed by brick).  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

There are many factors different parts of the US don't' understand about other parts of the US. Europeans don't understand the US either. Not weather, not size, etc.   

I recall after Harvey, some  . . uneducated . . . person making derogatory remarks about how the Mayor of Houston/Gov of Texas should have evacuated the city . . .blink. blink.  I recall educating this person from *Colorado* . . . that the Houston metro had more people than his entire STATE!

Or after a tornado makes it to the international news, the many Brits who would comment Americans are dumb for building in tornado alley at all, (We shouldn't do it.  And that we should build with brick so houses wouldn't fall down in a tornado) - they don't comprehend the sheer size of tornado alley. (or that a tornado isn't impressed by brick).  

And there are tornados all over. Much of the US would not be built on if the rule was "don't build in the path of tornados. As for bricks, there are actually better construction technologies available than just brick. 

In general, people just do not understand the particulars of other regions.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

And there are tornados all over. Much of the US would not be built on if the rule was "don't build in the path of tornados. As for bricks, there are actually better construction technologies available than just brick. 

In general, people just do not understand the particulars of other regions.

That’s true. There’s a lovely Scandinavian saying, “There’s no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothes.”  Which is a lovely point about how much easier it is to be outside with proper gear.  But the other day when we were having thunder snow/sleet/rain and I kept getting lightning alerts on my phone, and a few counties away was in a tornado watch most of the day, I realized I’ve never lived in a place where at least a third of the year there wasn’t frequent dangerous weather. It must be wonderful to live in a place where things like forest preschools are practical. And that’s just weather. It says nothing about dangerous wildlife. 

• Like 1

I have no idea about weather in various regions of the US and hopefully don’t expect people to know about Aus. I think the idea that people would know all the microclimates of a foreign country is a bit odd. But also I probably wouldn’t speculate too much about something based on something I know I don’t know. Hopefully…

• Like 6

55 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have no idea about weather in various regions of the US and hopefully don’t expect people to know about Aus. I think the idea that people would know all the microclimates of a foreign country is a bit odd. But also I probably wouldn’t speculate too much about something based on something I know I don’t know. Hopefully…

I think that’s the crux of it.  It’s fine not to know details about other countries, the problem arises when someone speaks with confidence on a topic they know nothing about.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:00 PM, catz said:

I spent some time volunteering in a research hospital with a lot of cancer patients.  And social workers always encouraged people to use accurate language with children at their level, whether it was a child that was a patient or a parent or grandparent.  That doesn't mean deep detail.  That means age level overview.  Children don't have the stigma associated with the language that adults do.  That allows parents to set the tone and narrative.  Because people slip.  If they don't hear the C word from you, they may accidently hear it from a well meaning neighbor, church goer, schoolmate, grandparent, uncle, doctor, medic during an emergency.  Kids aren't dumb.  

Obviously, families are going to vary on approach.  A particularly anxious child may need a different approach than another.  But I absolutely think it is healthy that kids are told factual, age appropriate information while given plenty of space to process and trying to hold on to some pieces of normalacy.  Withholding from a young adult not living at home is different than withholding long term from a child who sees changes and differences day to day who might not feel they can talk about it.  American Cancer Society has good resources on talking about a diagnosis with kids.  

Just a total aside, but I work in pediatric oncology and have been stunned by the number of parents who try to hide a child's diagnosis from the child. And I'm not talking little guys, I'm talking 8, 12, 14 year olds. It never works and always creates a huge amount of distrust and resentment from the child. The medical teams greatly discourage it, but some parents have a very hard time consenting to the child being told. As a nurse, I'm not part of those discussions but I don't think it should be an option, personally. We're coming into rooms all gowned up to hang chemo and telling a 14yo that it's "special medicine" like they can't google the medication.

• Sad 13

4 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Just a total aside, but I work in pediatric oncology and have been stunned by the number of parents who try to hide a child's diagnosis from the child. And I'm not talking little guys, I'm talking 8, 12, 14 year olds. It never works and always creates a huge amount of distrust and resentment from the child. The medical teams greatly discourage it, but some parents have a very hard time consenting to the child being told. As a nurse, I'm not part of those discussions but I don't think it should be an option, personally. We're coming into rooms all gowned up to hang chemo and telling a 14yo that it's "special medicine" like they can't google the medication.

I will never understand trying to hide information from kids who can read and have unsupervised internet access. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, sassenach said:

Maybe a cultural thing? I have heard that in  some Asian cultures families don't tell relatives if they have cancer as they believe it  hinders healing

8 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Maybe a cultural thing? I have heard that in  some Asian cultures families don't tell relatives if they have cancer as they believe it  hinders healing

I think there's some truth to that also.  It's probably specific to the individual.

The health is very much impacted by stress and hopelessness.  In fact, just this morning I was thinking that all the meanness around things like KM's health issues has a good chance of making her sicker / hindering her healing.

Though, honestly, everyone I know who has received a serious diagnosis before very old age has had a lot of fight in them.  They are not ready to go, dammit.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I didn’t tell. My ex-classmate who had leukemia treatment in primary school told very few people. I don’t think it’s an Asian culture thing as much as a know thy audience thing. Some relatives would happily make a nuisance of themselves just to “show” they care. My husband had two aunts passed from cancer. One told early while one told before passing. 

I used to volunteer in pediatric cancer wards. I agree with @sassenach that it is no point hiding a diagnosis from the child undergoing treatment. They will see and hear things and be more confused. How much information to give siblings is really up to each family situation. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

There's definitely that element. I live in a very multicultural area and have seen it several times with Arabic families and once with a Hispanic family. Interestingly, not with the asian families I have worked with. The common thread has been very patriarchal families, often with a dad who is taking on the largest inpatient presence. My armchair analysis is that the dad goes into shield mode and for a day or 2, thinks he can just handle the whole thing on his own. After a few days, the cracks start to show and they realize that it's not going to work. One dad was also trying to keep the mom out of the conversations for the first day or two, until it became clear to him that it wasn't going to work. I have a real heart for everyone involved. New diagnosis is a huge family crisis and people handle that in all sorts of ways.