Menu

A thread about inconsequential things that don't matter

Terabith

When measuring cooked spinach, do you measure the amount before or after you cook it?  I've been taking a cup of fresh (tightly packed) spinach and sautéing it with mushrooms and salmon with a couple eggs and some cheese for a delicious breakfast.  But of course, the spinach cooks down, so can I accurately call that a cup of spinach?  

Inky's eye has been watering, which is usually a sign of herpes virus, which is usually from stress.  I've been wondering what was stressing her out, and I realized I hadn't seen her beloved Stick Toy in awhile.  Someone had chewed the string from it.  So a bit of quick tying revealed that 1) this is likely the source of her distress, and 2) that it is a VERY temporary solution (had to retie five times in fifteen minutes), so a new stick toy is on the way.  

Does anyone else hate goggles?  I know I'm almost always the only one swimming laps without goggles, but I wondered how much of an outlier I am.  I hate the way they feel on my face, and I've never found any that 100% keep the water out and there are very few sensations as awful as having water stuck in the eyes of the goggles.  So I just swim with my eyes closed and look when I turn my head to breathe.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

When measuring cooked spinach, do you measure the amount before or after you cook it?  I've been taking a cup of fresh (tightly packed) spinach and sautéing it with mushrooms and salmon with a couple eggs and some cheese for a delicious breakfast.  But of course, the spinach cooks down, so can I accurately call that a cup of spinach?  

I count is a cup pre cooked.   It would take so much raw spinach to equal 1 cup of wilted down spinach!  That might be a way to add extra greens though, just a little mind trick.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Inky's eye has been watering, which is usually a sign of herpes virus, which is usually from stress.  I've been wondering what was stressing her out, and I realized I hadn't seen her beloved Stick Toy in awhile.  Someone had chewed the string from it.  So a bit of quick tying revealed that 1) this is likely the source of her distress, and 2) that it is a VERY temporary solution (had to retie five times in fifteen minutes), so a new stick toy is on the way.  

Does anyone else hate goggles?  I know I'm almost always the only one swimming laps without goggles, but I wondered how much of an outlier I am.  I hate the way they feel on my face, and I've never found any that 100% keep the water out and there are very few sensations as awful as having water stuck in the eyes of the goggles.  So I just swim with my eyes closed and look when I turn my head to breathe.  

Spinach—I’d definitely call that a cup of spinach based on the raw amount

Inky eye—poor Inky! I hope the new toy relieves his stress

Goggles—I always swam with my eyes open and no goggles for just playing around in the pool, but definitely goggles for laps—I want to see the lines on the bottom to know when I’m close to the wall and just in general, I don’t like moving around in an active environment without being able to see what’s around me. But, like you, I hate the feel of water inside the goggles! I’d much rather just swim with my eyes open and no goggles. This means I just had to work to get a good fit with goggles.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I count it from starting fresh. If I eat a cup fresh, I have eaten a full serving. So whatever it is when it is sauteed, is still a cup in my book. The water is lost but not the fiber, and the fiber is the bulk needed. 

Yeah, I have been doing my cup of raw that I cook down with mushrooms in the morning, and then I eat 2 cups of mixed spinach and kale with olive oil dressing for lunch.  Cronometer says that some days I'm getting 50 g of fiber, and when I get more than that I have issues, but I'm trying to focus on bulk produce but also doing enough protein.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, I have been doing my cup of raw that I cook down with mushrooms in the morning, and then I eat 2 cups of mixed spinach and kale with olive oil dressing for lunch.  Cronometer says that some days I'm getting 50 g of fiber, and when I get more than that I have issues, but I'm trying to focus on bulk produce but also doing enough protein.  

I get ya! I tried the 800 gram challenge and it wasted my digestive track so I just pulled back to 7 servings of veggies/fruits a day, and not trying to hit that challenge. I figure it is still very healthy, and all the things are working nicely without drama. No point in living if one has to be Anne fly miserable!

• Like 1

Just now, Faith-manor said:

I get ya! I tried the 800 gram challenge and it wasted my digestive track so I just pulled back to 7 servings of veggies/fruits a day, and not trying to hit that challenge. I figure it is still very healthy, and all the things are working nicely without drama. No point in living if one has to be Anne fly miserable!

I don't have a kitchen scale, which is both a blessing and a curse.  I think it's probably good, because I could easily get very anal about trying to hit the 800 g thing, but I just get by with measuring cups and mostly aim for 7-10 servings, but I'm not worrying too much about exact figures.

• Like 1

I hate goggles too. I'd rather not see than to use goggles. Also never was competitive in any swimming sports.

I am imagining it'd take a truckload of spinach to make a cup of cooked spinach. 

My farm subscription is giving me way too much Butternut squash. I now have Butternut squash all over my kitchen floor, and coming out of my pantry. Definitely had a few occasions where instead of bringing wine or something I'm like can we just bring the hosts Butternut squash.

• Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Definitely had a few occasions where instead of bringing wine or something I'm like can we just bring the hosts Butternut squash.

I’d be so happy if someone brought me butternut squash instead of wine! 🥰 Fortunately, it keeps for a long, long time. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

I just throw in enough to loosely fill the pan and watch helplessly as it cooks down to one tablespoon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

38 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Could be inconsequential or not, depending on your roommate (or self), but I want to know why our brains don’t tune out snoring as white noise, even when it’s not particularly loud snoring.

Excellent question!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

Could be inconsequential or not, depending on your roommate (or self), but I want to know why our brains don’t tune out snoring as white noise, even when it’s not particularly loud snoring.

Probably because it’s not a constant low hum. It starts and stops like dripping water which is not a soothing pattern. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kbutton said:

I know why mine can't... it's not regular! I can tune out sawing logs, but gurgling, snorting, and loud snarfing without rhythm is not something I can sleep through! 

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Probably because it’s not a constant low hum. It starts and stops like dripping water which is not a soothing pattern. 

3 hours ago, El... said:

I know why mine can't... it's not regular! I can tune out sawing logs, but gurgling, snorting, and loud snarfing without rhythm is not something I can sleep through! 

Interesting. Lots of people tune out thunderstorms which are also not regular.

DH tends to be a fairly regulated snorer, and it drives me nuts even though it’s quite even. I am not sure what mine sounds like, lol!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Interesting. Lots of people tune out thunderstorms which are also not regular.

DH tends to be a fairly regulated snorer, and it drives me nuts even though it’s quite even. I am not sure what mine sounds like, lol!

Yeah, but they tend to come with rain which is a more constant, soothing sound. Water is just calming . . . rain, fountains, rivers, waves. That and the sound is generally muffled. 

• Like 2

Inconsequential….trying to figure a way to clip keys to my leggings. Jeans are easy. Belt loop plus carabiner. Why don’t they made legging specific key clips? Don’t want bulky keys in a leg pocket or in the waistband pocket, unless it’s just the single key that I’ve had to fight to detach from the rest. I want to clip keys tightly to waistband of leggings along with a light nylon wallet that holds just a few cards and maybe a few bills. Everybody wears leggings. Why isn’t there a cute keychain clip for women? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Inconsequential….trying to figure a way to clip keys to my leggings. Jeans are easy. Belt loop plus carabiner. Why don’t they made legging specific key clips? Don’t want bulky keys in a leg pocket or in the waistband pocket, unless it’s just the single key that I’ve had to fight to detach from the rest. I want to clip keys tightly to waistband of leggings along with a light nylon wallet that holds just a few cards and maybe a few bills. Everybody wears leggings. Why isn’t there a cute keychain clip for women? 

Running belt?  I have a lightweight one that feels like the waistband of yoga pants, but it holds my phone and keys.  You could certainly clip something to it. 

• Thanks 1