Menu

Australia: Severe weather batters state of Victoria

Arcadia

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-68281756.amp
“One dairy farmer was killed - authorities suspect he was struck by flying debris while on a tractor. 

The wild weather also hampered efforts to fight massive bushfires in the state's west.

A catastrophic fire weather warning had been issued in one region - Australia's highest level of bushfire danger.

The state's energy minister, Lily D'Ambrosio, said Tuesday's power blackout - which authorities warn could last for weeks - was one of the largest in Victoria's history.

"At the peak, 529,000 were without power due to physical damage to power lines caused by extreme weather," she said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

The outages happened after a number of transmission towers collapsed in the storm - forcing a power station to shut down.

There was also widespread disruption to transport in Melbourne, with half of the city's train lines being suspended.”

• Sad 12

Was one amazingly big  and destructive cool change. most of the state was 40 oC or over before the change arrived.  

Amazingly we didn't lose power. The twins schoolbus driver  said the wind in his area was over130km hour. Took off his large shed roof, which flew and ripped off 2 neighbours rooves before smashing into the 3rd neighbours side of house. 

The big town twins go to special school has widespread damage and still hasn't electricity . Their school canclled today

Pretty much the whole state also lost all phone services, landline and Mobile. They are working again in my area I think.

• Sad 14

2 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We always get big fast  moving cold fronts with very strong winds after a spell of very hot weather.  Something to do with the topography and the ocean. This one was stronger than usual though 

It seemed unusual in that it didn’t really intensify here at all before crossing to VIC. We had a bit of wind but nothing too crazy. 

Im glad you’re OK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It seemed unusual in that it didn’t really intensify here at all before crossing to VIC. We had a bit of wind but nothing too crazy. 

The worst of it came in over the NSW border, my brother said. He was up in Echuca and copped rather a lashing.

By the time it got to me, there was about three tablespoons of rain left, which hardly justifies the power outage. But I can't complain. The neighbour's roof stayed on this time and the power was only off for about five and a half hours, something of a miracle when considering our recent record, which has been so rubbish we've been in the news.

10 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

The worst of it came in over the NSW border, my brother said. He was up in Echuca and copped rather a lashing.

By the time it got to me, there was about three tablespoons of rain left, which hardly justifies the power outage. But I can't complain. The neighbour's roof stayed on this time and the power was only off for about five and a half hours, something of a miracle when considering our recent record, which has been so rubbish we've been in the news.

That makes sense I guess!

I’m glad your neighbours roof stayed on and you have your power back 

• Like 2

The 2 large towns , one a small city I guess.( Plus all the satellite towns around the small city town)  where we usually go shopping still have no power. The estimated time of power restoration is the 17 th.

The main front of strong wind went just below us, out into the ocean

I still can't believe we didn't even lose power

• Like 5

We also had a terrible storm that day, but we're in NSW. It was really localised to the upper mountains - other people got nothing, while we had 2 hours of really severe lightning, hail and heavy rain. And to think we were worried we were going to move into drought this summer. It's been so wet and cold. 

• Sad 2

Now up to 60 properties lost in the bushfire that occurred that day. There is some steep territory so I guess it’s taking time to get access and assess the damage. It will be difficult for rebuilding because it’s very hard to get work done in rural areas.

This is barely even making the news. Feels like we are becoming too accustomed to natural disasters. 

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is barely even making the news. Feels like we are becoming too accustomed to natural disasters. 

I agree, it's just constant - Queensland had horrific rain and floods at the same time, a woman drowned in her car yesterday. It's floods and fire all at the same time. And the electricity is going to be down for ages in Victoria due to the weather, there's serious damage to the system. 

• Sad 9

And just to add another severe storm yesterday, probably the most severe storm I've ever had to drive through with zero visibility, hail, flooding and falling branches - but nowhere to pull off the road safely. Fortunately I was close to home and so knew every twist and turn of the road. Lots of people lost power and lots of fallen trees. So that's at least 3 severe storms within a short period and it's predicted more coming this way. 

• Sad 6