Menu

Anyone else going to the movies this afternoon/evening?

We've always stayed home on Christmas Day, but this year, we decided to start a new tradition and go to the movies. We're going to the 4:15 matinee showing of Bedtime Stories. I don't usually like Adam Sandler (too crude for my taste) but I understand that this movie is supposed to be something of a departure for him.

Just wondering if anyone else is going to the movies today. If so, what do you plan to see?

We're going today to see Marley and Me, but it's already the 26th here. Surprisingly it was also showing yesterday (most aafes things were closed yesterday). Around here, you go see the movies as soon as they are offered, because they may not be back in later weeks. For instance, of the four base theaters on island, Mama Mia played one time, and one time only. You look at what's playing for the month, and then you write it into your calendar.

So yes we are going today, but not because we woke up and said "Let's go to a movie!" but because I scheduled us to do it in a few weeks ago knowing my son would enjoy the movie.

I'll be so happy to get back to home to real movie theathers with quality audio, stadium seating, the choice of more than 1 or 2 movies (on different bases - each only has one at a time!) and chance to go see smaller, less popular and maybe independent things.

However I will miss that $4 admission price! We'll never find that in the states!

We actually went to watch Marley and Me. Wow, what a cute movie and not one single swear word in it and trust me, with that dog, every other word could have been a bad one!

We went to see Marley and Me and there were several swear words (s, sob,) and there were several times of the dog hum*ing things that was focused on intently, a whole scene of talking about nuetering the dog but calling it "cutting his bal** off". There was a scene that Jennifer Aniston took her dress off and although it was seen from behind my 6 yr old yelled "she jumped in the pool naked" I wasn't quick enough to cover her eyes.

I loved the story but as usual hollywood messed it up by putting trash in it. There was a love scene that did not show them naked but them in bed starting to and they were talking about getting pregnant and all I could think of was great now I have to explain sex to the 9 yr old. But thankfully ds was quick enough with the hand over the eyes and the "here have gummi bear" loudly. Bless that boy!! I was 3 kids over and was covering 2 sets of eyes. It ticks me off that now a PG rating which use to mean a glorified G rating is probably off limits now. When will Hollywood learn that we don't want to have to explain the birds and the bees after every movie, we just want to watch a cute movie with our kids. GRRRRRR:confused:

Would love to get a review of Despereaux if anyone sees it.

We didn't see it, but our neighbors did. So how about a second-hand review? Their 7 yo dd really enjoyed the book as a read aloud but was pretty disappointed with the movie. They felt it deviated significantly from the book plot line and overall was pretty poorly done. As I said, they're big fans of the book, so maybe it's a case of the book spoiling the movie.

We actually went to watch Marley and Me. Wow, what a cute movie and not one single swear word in it and trust me, with that dog, every other word could have been a bad one!

We saw Marley and Me, and while we enjoyed it, I thought it was less a family movie and more a young couple moves into adulthood movie. It's not really all that much about the dog. :001_smile:

As prior yellow lab owners, we really liked the dog(s), though.:001_smile: