Menu

Expanding on Anna's post...do you have a favorite quote on Reading or Books?

These are some of my favorites:

Books are the legacies that a great genius leaves to mankind, which are delivered down from generation to generation as presents to the posterity of those who are yet unborn.

-Joseph Addison

Of all the things which man can do or make here below, by far the most momentous, wonderful, and worthy are the things we call books.

-Carlyle

Books are the food of youth, the delight of old age; the ornament of prosperity, the refuge and comfort of adversity; a delight at home, and no hindrance abroad; companions by night, in traveling, in the country.

-Cicero

And my son likes this one:

The things I want to know are in books; my best friend

is the man who’ll get me a book I ain’t read.

-Abraham Lincoln

There are so many great books/reading quotes, but here is one of my favorites:

Why Read?

Reading is a sage way to bump up against life. Reading may be an escape, but it is not escape from my own life and problems. It is escape from the narrow boundaries of being only me. Reading in some wonderful way helps me find out who I am. When she was a young girl Patricia MacLachlan's mother urged her to "read a book and find out who you are." And it is true that in some way reading defines me as it refines me. Reading enlarges my vision of the world; it helps me understand someone who is different from me. It makes me bigger on the inside. We tend to see the world from our own perspective; it is good to see it from the eyes of others. Good literature helps me understand who I am in relation to what others experience. Far from being an escape from reality, good literature is a window into reality. I read to feel life. ~Gladys Hunt, Honey for a Woman's Soul

I have this one posted on my blog...I think it pertains to reading and books because so much knowledge and wisdom are found in them.

"Nobody can decide for himself whether he is going to be a human being. The only question open to him is whether he will be an ignorant undeveloped one or one who has sought to reach the highest point he is capable of attaining."

- Robert Hutchins