Menu

Question for parents of kids with ADHD

LizzyBee

My dd7 has been diagnosed with ADHD-combined type with some of the measures at the 99+ percentile. I don't have a problem with her being constantly in motion. But she also has dyslexia, auditory processing disorder, and a working memory deficit, so in order to learn to read she needs rather intense, repetitive instruction. But her attention span is so short that I am beginning to realize she may not be able to focus long enough to learn to read without medicating her for the ADHD. My question is whether you've found ways to help your child with ADHD focus for longer periods of time without medication? Thanks for your help.

Some things you could try:

Increase exercise---esp. outside exercise

Increase protein and lower refined carbs in diet

eliminate foods for food allergies/intolerances

omega 3s http://www.omegabrite.com

That said, we did all of those and found that the Omega Brites HELP but were not enough. We decided to go with meds and my dd gained 2 years of reading skills in 6 months once she could finally pay attention to what she was supposed to be learning.

You could be describing my son.

We managed for several years without medication. I just kept redirecting him. When he was 7 and learning to read, *I* had to hold the book because just holding the book distracted him. We just focused on reading and math that year, initially working about two hours three days per week and then by the end of the year we had increased it to five days per week. Instead of complete breaks we would just change subjects or materials every 20 minutes or so (you may need to work up to 20 minutes gradually).

Also, I found that eggs in the morning helped a lot. We also use fish oil and zinc supplements. I don't know if these help but I do see a huge difference with the eggs. Some days will be worse than others. Just keep redirecting.

My son is now using medication (started at the beginning of the school year) and he feels that it helps him. He just takes one short acting pill in the morning before lessons. I probably should have medicated him years ago because it has been a huge effort to get to this point. It is exhausting to constantly help someone to maintain their focus as well as to manage your own. I found that I was completely drained by noon for several years.

My DS also has fairly severe LD's along with his ADHD. Exercise and protein do help, but only Ritalin has really made the difference that allows him to USUALLY focus long enough to actually learn something.

He takes Coromega fish oil each day, but I can't say I've seen any particular benefits from it.

Michelle T

There are several things that help:

Fish oil (the Omegabrite ratio is the one that has been used in scientific studies that show an effect. It's 7:1 EPA to DHA. Most fish oil is closer to 2:1 or so)

Heavy exercise (doesn't have to be long, but should really give strong input to muscles and joints) such as carrying heavy (but safe) things (groceries, milk, wood, etc.), push-ups, wheel-barrow walks, etc.) before and in between lessons

Short lessons 10-15 min.

Long times outside per day (increases concentration and memory)

Eggs contain choline. (It's in the yolks) Two per day gives you about the needed amount, or use a supplement you trust.

Tea has substances (other than caffeine) that increase concentration

Protein throughout the day

Enough sleep

There are now computer programs that increase working memory and attention. Brainware Safari is available through Homeschool Buyers' Co-op (joining is free) for $49 through the end of Dec. If they stop the special, the price through the company is $349. I've seen clear improvements with my son.

Cogmed is the program that was used in several double-blind studies in Sweden that showed generalized gains in working memory. It's administered by professionals (the consult can be done over the phone) and then the child (with parental help and coaching) works hard at the computer every day for 5 weeks. It's expensive $1500-2000, but it has the "gold standard" doubleblind studies to back up its effectiveness.

Thanks for all your suggestions (and more are welcome from others).

On a good day, I can get an hour of focused attention from dd7.

We were using Brainware Safari but we've gotten out of the habit. However, I do think it was making a difference for her, so we'll get back to that after the holidays. (OTOH, I don't think it was helping my 12yo, but her primary deficit is processing speed, for which there's no treatment or therapy.) The EdPsych who tested her mentioned Cogmed and gave me a brochure, but I guess we'll stick with BWS for now.

We've used Carlson's fish oil and I couldn't see any difference, but the ratio is nowhere close to 7:1. We'll give Omega Brites a whirl and see if that helps.

I know I need to be more consistent with having exercise breaks. Her OT keeps reminding of that, too. I've realized that even though she's always in motion, she's not very coordinated and she has trouble with exercises that involve a cross pattern movement with the right and left sides of the body, such as marching in place while swinging her arms. I think some simple but targeted exercise would be very good for her. She does spend a good bit of time outside.

She is not a big meat and cheese eater, so it's hard to get her to eat a lot of protein. We'll work on that. She likes eggs okay, but I don't know if I can get her to eat them daily. She usually only eats them once in a while, but if I tell her they might help her focus, maybe she'll be cooperative about eating them more often.

She usually falls asleep as soon as her head hits the pillow and she's a very sound sleeper. So I think we're okay there.

Thanks again!

I can't say that I have a child with diagnosed ADHD, but I do have a 5 year old that isn't still unless it's tv....and even then he's usually moving. I'm wondering if you took the pressure of "learning" for a while if that would help? Maybe just do lots of books on audio and jumping and bouncing on balls...Anyway, when I'm going crazy with my son, that's what I get him to do...play, play, play. When we're in the car, many to most times we are listening to cds. You know, like the Jim Weiss cds...whatever you would like to be reading to him.... At least in a car seat or whatever...they are usually restrained:-)

I also have one of those bouncy things that he bounces through the house in...and I put one of those mini trampolines with the bars on the porch for him to jump on while he waits for me to open the door, or I can push him out on a cold day to get some energy out.

Looking at him, we just don't do sit down activities, usually.

We do attend a Classical Conversations group, which is 3 hours...once a week. I have to say, that he tries hard to be still and good. But, he has a certain amount of time that he can handle participating in class, and then he just leaves the class and comes to me. Maybe some think that's undisciplined, but I see it as him understanding how much time he can handle in a "classroom" situation.

I also try to give him no corn syrup and only a small amount of sugar or sweeteners...

There's a yahoo group called Healthyparenting that I joined that has good natural suggestions for all types of issues like this...

Carrie:-)

>>>>>I know I need to be more consistent with having exercise breaks. Her OT keeps reminding of that, too. I've realized that even though she's always in motion, she's not very coordinated and she has trouble with exercises that involve a cross pattern movement with the right and left sides of the body, such as marching in place while swinging her arms. I think some simple but targeted exercise would be very good for her. She does spend a good bit of time outside.<<<<

We use Brain Gym exercises at our school and as a part of that we work on crossing the midline exercises (touching right hand to left knee, etc.). You might want to search "crossing the midline for some specific exercises you can do to help.