Menu

K-drama with tweens/teens

Calizzy

I’ve watched several shows with my DD13 (my oldest DD15 isn’t much interested). I would say the vast majority of the shows are fine, depending on what your concerns are.

My main concern was anything sexually explicit. Many shows have a romance factor, but it doesn’t usually get too spicy. Most of the time it’s just kissing, possibly the guy removing his shirt. It’s definitely implied what’s going on, but nothing is ever shown. I’ve never seen female nudity. 

Some other things that come up are violence and suicide. The shows are often anywhere from 12-20 episodes, so in order to fill that time there are several characters with an array of stories. These can be about abuse, mental health issues, and family drama. Suicide is a huge topic and I’ve seen this in several shows. I’m not bothered by gory stuff, neither are my DDs, but things like car accidents and death are shown. I don’t think it’s anything more than you’d seen in typical American shows/movies though. 

As far as recommendations…that’s so hard! It just depends on what you’re looking for. Here are a few of my favorites that I’ve watched with DD13 (those are all on Netflix)…

• Rookie Historian Goo Hae-Ryung
  • Hometown Cha-cha-cha
  • Flower Crew Joseon Marriage Agency
  • Business Proposal (little bit spicy in episode 11)
  • Itaewon Class

Yes look through that thread.

Idk what everyone’s teen viewing barometer is. * means I have not let me below teens watch it

guardian: the lonely and great god (commonly known as “Goblin”.  A must watch classic in all our opinions.)

weight-lifting fairy 

Boys over flowers

Cinderella 4 knights

Playful Kiss

*Fated to Love You

*Family the Unbreakable Bond

Oh My Venus (but I hated the happy ending)

True Beauty

*Never Twice

My Roommate is a gumio

Crash Landing On You

*suspicious Partner

Sh**ting Stars (the * is part of the name not hiding a bad word)

W two worlds

Legend of the Blue Sea 

Heirs

Extraordinary You

Running Man (reality game show that we are addicted to)

I have only watched a few, and they have been family friendly.  And fun.  🙂

I haven't seen enough to have a favorite.  I did like "Crash Landing on You."  But it does get kinda long.

I plan to watch all of them in my retirement, if I ever retire.  🙂

I’ve been maybe more choosy than some others with which ones we watch together. Biggest issue for me is the ubiquity and normalization of suicide and we talk a lot about the degree of spousal and family violence shown and treated as normal as well. That said, we have enjoyed many of them together. Someone else mentioned Hometown Cha Cha Cha and I think that’s a good one for those ages.