Menu

AH, its *that* time of year! The Cousin Comparasion Convention has commenced...

:glare:

Funny how no one got into any comparisons with my oldest, very bright DD. That would have been bragging.

I know, I know, bean dip, bean dip, bean dip.

But for the love of Pete, it irks me. I would dearly love to tell a certain person to shut the %^$# up. Dearly.

Bean dip, bean dip, bean dip.

painful childhood memories. I had one aunt who just wouldn't let up, it was embarrassing for both her daughter and me. The comparisons and bragging started immediately.

I have to compliment my mom, it took a lot for her to fold. She rarely engaged in the comparing, though she had plenty of good ammo. And I just want to encourage you to really smile, show interest in what the cousins are doing, because they are your family and you love them, right? Your children are very likely aware of what's going on, and you have a wonderful (??? maddening???) opportunity to display an example of grace.

My SIL was like this when our kids were really little, and I always had to think back to my mom's example, because my own first reaction was to stand up for my kid. Now that my kids and SIL's are older, they have gone on in their own areas of interest/exellence and there is much less of that competitive air. Hopefully it will subside for you, it's no fun!

Funny how no one got into any comparisons with my oldest, very bright DD. That would have been bragging.

But for the love of Pete, it irks me. I would dearly love to tell a certain person to shut the %^$# up. Dearly.

Are you celebrating Festivus with the rest of us? It is time for the "Airing of Grievances" and then the Feats of Strength!

I do think you should announce that it is time so they are forewarned. Not everyone "celebrates". :lol:

If you truly cannot "Air your Grievances" to that person then please continue you to do so here. We don't mind!

I have only one thing to offer that may be of help to you....

beano.jpg

One of my BILs (& consequently his wife & dc) is particularly into the comparison game. He makes a lot of money and doesn't mind letting us know. He can afford to buy his kids pretty much anything and everything they want, and they don't mind letting my kids know that they have the latest & greatest "stuff". My dc aren't especially materialistic, but at times they've been a bit envious that their cousins have it so easy, yet don't appreciate it, while we struggle just to pay for the basics for our dc. It has been a source of stress for me for several years.

This is something we never do as a family... but then, our families don't hang out much, either. Of course, being that dh and I were fierce high school and college debaters -- no one wants to take us on for anything (it's all done in private with the parents :glare:).

What's really terrible is when all cousins (children) are asked to perform something on Christmas. Of course the parents who want the performance have children with something to PERFORM...such as a duet piano recital! :glare: Those of us with children who are not learning an instrument, or can't sing like a bird, are left with....???? My son (11 yo) usually quotes poetry or memorizes a speech. He impresses his dad and I...I guess that's all that matters, eh? ;) But it's very stressful sometimes. :tongue_smilie: I think I'll take some bean dip next year...

Thankfully this Christmas Day we are staying HOME for the very first time in 23 years. We are going to stay home as a family, eats lots and play lots. I'm looking forward to it. :D