Menu

Settling in

heartlikealion

I scored a cancellation at the dentist office. I was going to have to wait til August. 

My boss told me to request the moving paperwork even though it’s not 100% certain. Now I have the papers. With my current rent being more than 50% of my take home pay and me having kids with me sometimes + sending child support… I do think I’ll be approved. It pains me the next check I get goes straight to the landlord. It’s like that every month. 

• Like 2

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought my car to a tire place this morning. They saw the uneven wear on the front tires and said replace those and put the new ones in back of car. That might be enough to fix issue. They said these are Firestone tires, see if you have some warranty or store credit. First place I called was not helpful. Tried to say because I didn’t but roadside assistance they couldn’t help (makes no sense). But then I went in person to another Firestone and got them to work with me. I need all new tires and I’m ok with that because he had proof of previous mileage and dates of purchases. Then we looked at current miles. The tires are valid 45,000 miles. 

I got approved for Firestone credit card… probably only because I added my tutoring to my annual salary. That knocked $50 off my purchase and it’s zero interest for 6 months. 

I have a few hours kill but am in walking distance of a mall so I’m in the mall. I also have a book in my car. But it was crowded in the tire waiting room. 

• Like 3

He feels good about moving forward with the move… I asked if we could type up 6 months then month to month and he’s fine with that. Though he says he wouldn’t push me out when I said you might get eager to take it back over. He picked me up from the mall since he’s nearby and it could be hours before my car is ready. He said he’ll just continue to do the yard. We went through some of the house stuff to see what might make sense to leave in the house — score, I’m gonna get to use the crockpot. And he’ll leave his microwave inside. 

His pets are here so I’m enjoying seeing the bunny hop around lol

• Like 8

I’m glad. Yes, it could be awkward but it looks like this guy is tying to be decent. As it is, you’re one medical event/major financial issue from homelessness. While you do have a somewhat stable situation, it’s too tight for you to breathe or make headway toward saving or paying off debt. So I’m glad you’ll be able to do that even if it has the potential to be awkward.

• Like 7

I am back at the autoshop. They felt like we needed to do an alignment adjustment too so that got added on. They also said my brake pads are past due but that totals an additional $500 so I said not today. He said do it soon. 

As soon as I move I’ll be paying on debt etc. 

I spent ~$700 here and a friend said what?? You didn’t use Costco? Too late. And I benefited from the zero interest Firestone card.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I am back at the autoshop. They felt like we needed to do an alignment adjustment too so that got added on. They also said my brake pads are past due but that totals an additional $500 so I said not today. He said do it soon. 

As soon as I move I’ll be paying on debt etc. 

I spent ~$700 here and a friend said what?? You didn’t use Costco? Too late. And I benefited from the zero interest Firestone card.  

I am sure you know this but if you don’t pay that $700 off in the 6 month time period they will retro add all the interest. Even if you owe $1 past the 6 months.  

• Like 2

I hosted a bowling night with colleagues. We went tonight. We had a good time but the alley was strange… they say no need to get bowling shoes and the scores don’t show up on monitors up high, only low in front of the ball return. So to see who’s turn it is you look at this little screen. I had invited a cute guy from another branch. Can’t tell if he’s interested in me but hope I at least made a new friend. We had only talked 2x prior to tonight. 

• Like 3

Got the kids tonight. Ds said his stepmom took him to the dmv but they said he didn’t have all the papers he needed for his permit. He said his dad isn’t focused on that and is currently preoccupied with setting up the boys in the garage so a bedroom can go to stepmom’s mother when she visits in July. 

Good grief how hard is it to figure out the paperwork for permit? and it figures he didn’t go to the dmv himself. I honestly don’t know how well stepmom can navigate those situations since English isn’t her first language. I’m mad on ds’ behalf. If I was there he would have his permit and be practicing by now. Alas, this is not my fight. 

All my paperwork was turned in at work. I hope I’ll get feedback soon on approval to move. 

• Sad 4

19 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

It's not hard to figure out the paperwork. It's hard to want to if one is that sort of person, which we aren't.

It sucks so much. ((hugs))

Thanks. 

I just touched base with his dad and he said ds has an appt to get an ID and needs to study and take permit test. I sense xh is deliberately stalling everything. I sent ds a link to study material months ago. Ds probably needed dad to say “study. Here’s the material” to do anything, though. I do not think they offer hard copies anymore. I’ll make sure ds has the link again and encourage him to study this week. Plus I signed the kids up for the library summer reading so I told them to log time reading.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Thanks. 

I just touched base with his dad and he said ds has an appt to get an ID and needs to study and take permit test. I sense xh is deliberately stalling everything. I sent ds a link to study material months ago. Ds probably needed dad to say “study. Here’s the material” to do anything, though. I do not think they offer hard copies anymore. I’ll make sure ds has the link again and encourage him to study this week. Plus I signed the kids up for the library summer reading so I told them to log time reading.

I know that different families from different places have different driving needs -- and therefore different levels of parental pressure and support are given to teens who are old enough for learner's permits.

My approach has been very much that anybody old enough to consider becoming a driver is probably also old enough to check into what they need to do in order to get that permit. They are also capable of finding study material and studying it exactly as much or as little as they want to: depending on how important driving is to them, and how urgent they feel about accomplishing that goal.

In my house that approach has led to nobody driving yet.

And I'm pretty fond of that outcome -- since the risk of serious collisions and injuries goes down for every year that passes. Also since they can't go anywhere I don't drive them unless they go by bus, I usually know where they are and they usually have to keep practical hours when they go out. (I understand that public transit isn't awesome everywhere.)

So, what I'm getting at is that I haven't really picked up the details here: why is it that *you* feel that it is of high importance that your son becomes a driver sooner rather than later? Have you thought that through? Do you actually want this? (If so, why?) Does your son actually want this? (If so, why is he struggling with the simple tasks of achieving it?) Is there any rush?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, bolt. said:

I know that different families from different places have different driving needs -- and therefore different levels of parental pressure and support are given to teens who are old enough for learner's permits.

My approach has been very much that anybody old enough to consider becoming a driver is probably also old enough to check into what they need to do in order to get that permit. They are also capable of finding study material and studying it exactly as much or as little as they want to: depending on how important driving is to them, and how urgent they feel about accomplishing that goal.

In my house that approach has led to nobody driving yet.

And I'm pretty fond of that outcome -- since the risk of serious collisions and injuries goes down for every year that passes. Also since they can't go anywhere I don't drive them unless they go by bus, I usually know where they are and they usually have to keep practical hours when they go out. (I understand that public transit isn't awesome everywhere.)

So, what I'm getting at is that I haven't really picked up the details here: why is it that *you* feel that it is of high importance that your son becomes a driver sooner rather than later? Have you thought that through? Do you actually want this? (If so, why?) Does your son actually want this? (If so, why is he struggling with the simple tasks of achieving it?) Is there any rush?

I just wanted him to have practice time sooner than later. In MS there is really little to no public transit. My kids never fully learned to ride bikes, either. There’s usually some peer pressure to drive. I took driver’s ed at school but got limited time behind the wheel and was so self conscious I didn’t ever volunteer to drive. I’d wait til I was told. 

Ds will stop coming over once school behinds. He’s only here so much because he’s mandated in summer. I will lose my main window to practice with him. And at one point he said his dad wouldn’t allow him to practice in his car. I’m not sure if that’s still true. 

I had a very stressful time driving with my parents. I think I will be calmer and gentler with ds. I can’t say that he will be allowed to drive with his stepmom either. Their cars are nicer than mine. 

While I understand your logic and can appreciate it, ds has often struggled with executive functioning and advocating. I guess I worry he’ll be behind but I need to let that go. 

• Like 1

Wait. I’m stuck on the garage. 

He’s moving the boys’ bedroom to the garage? Is that correct? Is this an insulated, air conditioned garage? 

We are in a heat wave, and I would not dream of making anyone sleep in our garage.

Maybe it’s not as hot and humid where you are, or his garage is a more comfortable place!

Tell me I misread that.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Wait. I’m stuck on the garage. 

He’s moving the boys’ bedroom to the garage? Is that correct? Is this an insulated, air conditioned garage? 

We are in a heat wave, and I would not dream of making anyone sleep in our garage.

Maybe it’s not as hot and humid where you are, or his garage is a more comfortable place!

Tell me I misread that.

Well it’s MS so yes it is hot and humid and unbearable . 

• Like 6

Re: garage 

ds revealed in roughly one sentence that a licensed worker is putting up a wall to split the garage into 2. Half for each boy. My first thought was about insulation/heat/cold but I didn’t pry. Ds quickly said he wasn’t going to share more. 

It sounds absurd to build a wall if this is for a short visit. I wouldn’t be surprised if mother-in-law is permanently moving in. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

My boss had me include more documentation to support my hardship and the papers went out yesterday. I hope they are reviewed asap because I need to give my current landlord 30 days notice. I do not want to pay for August rent here. 

I know it’s not the best use of my money maybe but it made me sad I never had a gathering at this place so I am doing a small 4th of July get together. I bought the hot dogs on sale and have other cheap ideas. The cake is a box mix I got after Easter on clearance and I’m skipping the buttercream icing. I’ll do a cool whip-based topping. I already have cool whip in my freezer. A few people said they plan to come but I’m making everyone confirm by July 1st. One of the guests is bringing a dish. 

• Like 9

Had a fun outing with the kids. It is a place with Korean corn dogs & chicken, Japanese donuts and an interesting assortment of drinks. My mango drink had ice in the can! And changed colors as I drank it. It was good but I’d be just as content with a $1.25 Mucho mango lol 

• Like 8

On 6/27/2024 at 10:12 AM, heartlikealion said:

My boss had me include more documentation to support my hardship and the papers went out yesterday. I hope they are reviewed asap because I need to give my current landlord 30 days notice. I do not want to pay for August rent here. 

I know it’s not the best use of my money maybe but it made me sad I never had a gathering at this place so I am doing a small 4th of July get together. I bought the hot dogs on sale and have other cheap ideas. The cake is a box mix I got after Easter on clearance and I’m skipping the buttercream icing. I’ll do a cool whip-based topping. I already have cool whip in my freezer. A few people said they plan to come but I’m making everyone confirm by July 1st. One of the guests is bringing a dish. 

Sounds like fun!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The sitting job changed to 4-11 pm. 

My friend/future landlord said the a/c just went out at the house. We’re scrambling to resolve this so I know if I am still moving in. 

My party is tomorrow and I don’t get off work til 7 then have so much to do. I’m tired. And stressed. Not mad. Just concerned. Might not get to save money. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 3

Friend bought 2 window units (one is huge). Apparently it can be used for heating too? If I understood correctly. But the issue is it requires a new higher voltage outlet so he’ll have to have an electrician come out and set that up. 

Everything is blurry with boundaries and whatnot so I didn’t initially invite him to my party… but when he was telling me about the a/c issues I asked if he had plans on the 4th. He said he couldn’t think about anything other than the a/c. Finally I said well I’m asking because if you’d like to come over I’m having some friends over. He decided he was interested and he will come. Then I asked if our other friends (which I now refer to as the French Quarter crew… his neighbors that I’ve spent time with) had plans and should we invite them. So now my guest list went up by at least 2. 

My procrastination + busy schedule leaves me doing too much at the last minute. But on the bright side I finally mopped my kitchen & bathroom. 

Crossing fingers I can still move into that house. Hope the window units are adequate. It’s only a one bedroom house. 

• Like 7

Heart, the window air units will work. The new ones are powerful and yet energy efficient. You can use a box fan in doorways to circulate air between rooms. We use window units here because this 100+ year old building cannot be converted to central air without about $25,000 of investment in a place that is only worth $40,000 because no one wants to buy a historical building. We do well with them.

• Like 5

Agreeing with @Faith-manor that the ac units should be plenty. Years ago, we lived temporarily in a smallish 3br house that had two window units. They were not large units, and they were sufficient. This, too, was in the hot and humid South.

• Like 4

I have a window unit in my living room and it honestly does as much to cool the house all on its own as our central air does (the central air unit is older and has never been great); I've been thoroughly impressed. 

A unit that can heat as well as cool is probably a heat pump,  they are supposed to be very efficient. 

• Like 1

Just reminding you all I had the slumlord that provided 2 window units for a 3BD home (added a third unit myself) and no insulation in the attic. That house never cooled or heated properly so I’m a bit traumatized lol also a local friend can’t heat or cool his 1 bedroom well. When I visited him last winter he wheeled a heater into the living room but said it was really hard to get the home comfy. So I’m just naturally skeptical! I know my friend cares about me and the kids and will not want me moving in if it’s not adequate. I’m sure we’ll sort it out. I have hope ❤️ 

I’m so tired but now can’t fall asleep to nap lol. Everything is ready for the party. 🎉 

I really enjoy hosting things but it’s exhausting. I hope it goes well! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Just reminding you all I had the slumlord that provided 2 window units for a 3BD home (added a third unit myself) and no insulation in the attic. That house never cooled or heated properly so I’m a bit traumatized lol also a local friend can’t heat or cool his 1 bedroom well. When I visited him last winter he wheeled a heater into the living room but said it was really hard to get the home comfy. So I’m just naturally skeptical! I know my friend cares about me and the kids and will not want me moving in if it’s not adequate. I’m sure we’ll sort it out. I have hope ❤️ 

I’m so tired but now can’t fall asleep to nap lol. Everything is ready for the party. 🎉 

I really enjoy hosting things but it’s exhausting. I hope it goes well! 

I used window units and porta cools to cool our 85 year old house and it did great.  It was MUCH cheaper than AC too.   We did put units in every room but to cool 1800 sq ft we only had 6 units.  

• Like 3

I was self conscious about the hot dogs because I don’t have a bbq but once they saw how I broil them they were impressed. Everything went well. Got compliments on my potato salad & cookies 😊 Took a coworker’s tip to add a stick of butter to jiffy cornbread. I think it helped make it more moist. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I was self conscious about the hot dogs because I don’t have a bbq but once they saw how I broil them they were impressed. Everything went well. Got compliments on my potato salad & cookies 😊 Took a coworker’s tip to add a stick of butter to jiffy cornbread. I think it helped make it more moist. 

I am proud of you for getting out of your comfort zone and entertaining!

• Like 5

On 7/4/2024 at 6:12 AM, heartlikealion said:

Crossing fingers I can still move into that house. Hope the window units are adequate. It’s only a one bedroom house. 

Oh, I think it'll definitely be fine. Plus, you don't need to cool your bedroom during the day... when we had window units, I'd cool the kitchen/living room during the day, and the bedroom at night. 

However, I don't live in the south so maybe that's insane and impossible 😀

• Like 2

He’s gonna test it out this week at least with one unit that doesn’t require the electrician. Yeah I will not need the bedroom one on all the time but if I’m in there sewing I might need it.

And we have a loose move-in date on a Saturday I don’t have the kids. I know my current landlord wants to schedule a few dates to show my current place. All the more reason for me to start consolidating and packing soon. 

• Like 6

One unit was tested today and cools really well! 

I’ve got lots of leftovers from my party so I’ll freeze some food or give to the kids on a few days depending on item. A guest gifted me a bottle of rum. I don’t drink it. I’m going to give to a couple I know. 

• Like 13

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

One unit was tested today and cools really well! 

I’ve got lots of leftovers from my party so I’ll freeze some food or give to the kids on a few days depending on item. A guest gifted me a bottle of rum. I don’t drink it. I’m going to give to a couple I know. 

That's great that it is working, and you've got some extra food to feed the kids which comes in sooooo handy when packing and moving. I hate trying to think of meals and dealing with that when I am in the middle of a move. And of course often times you just have to get stuff from the deli or carry out which is expensive and kills the budget. It is so nice that you were able to entertain on a small budget, have a good time with friends, and still will have leftovers to get through this hectic time. Great job, Heart! You are rocking it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

He’s gonna test it out this week at least with one unit that doesn’t require the electrician. Yeah I will not need the bedroom one on all the time but if I’m in there sewing I might need it.

And we have a loose move-in date on a Saturday I don’t have the kids. I know my current landlord wants to schedule a few dates to show my current place. All the more reason for me to start consolidating and packing soon. 

You might want to keep the bedroom unit on to manage temperature and humidity. If it gets out of balance between the rooms you might end up with condensation on windows or in other places, which should be avoided. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kanin said:

Oh, I think it'll definitely be fine. Plus, you don't need to cool your bedroom during the day... when we had window units, I'd cool the kitchen/living room during the day, and the bedroom at night. 

However, I don't live in the south so maybe that's insane and impossible 😀

Yes, insane and impossible. 🙂

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

That's great that it is working, and you've got some extra food to feed the kids which comes in sooooo handy when packing and moving. I hate trying to think of meals and dealing with that when I am in the middle of a move. And of course often times you just have to get stuff from the deli or carry out which is expensive and kills the budget. It is so nice that you were able to entertain on a small budget, have a good time with friends, and still will have leftovers to get through this hectic time. Great job, Heart! You are rocking it.

I spent more than originally intended but didn’t even use most of it. Bought 3 packs of hot dogs and am going to freeze some that were cooked and have one pack that was never opened. I ended up making cookies but not making a cake. I have leftover cookie dough in the freezer. A friend brought chips they were barely touched so the kids will snack on those soon. I pick the kids up Sunday. Almost none of the non alcoholic drinks were touched. I have unopened sweet tea and soda. Most guests drank alcohol which they brought. I bought a couple blocks of cheese (on sale) and sliced some. No one ate the cheese & crackers. My kids can eat that or I’ll cook with the cheese. I bought chicken on sale recently and cooked and froze it off in batches so I just defrost as I need it. 

I am babysitting Saturday and just found out the kids will be awake the whole time. The hotel does not connect to the casino (was hoping for an arcade or restaurant access) and I can’t drive them anywhere so I need to get creative on how to kill 7 hours. I asked the mom if they’d like calico critters so I’m going to pack up some of those 😂 dd doesn’t play with them anymore. I’ll bring art supplies and see what games I can bring.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Wowwww… my current place is listed online and $100 more a month for the next tenant. 

Seems kinda greedy to me.  

Inflation is still going up.  Most factors that go into housing costs are rising faster than some other costs. And w/ the amount of repairs we have had to do w/ our own house, we are super cognizant of those stats.

You are extremely lucky to have found a new landlord who is doing all the needed repairs and charging below market prices.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I spent more than originally intended but didn’t even use most of it. Bought 3 packs of hot dogs and am going to freeze some that were cooked and have one pack that was never opened. I ended up making cookies but not making a cake. I have leftover cookie dough in the freezer. A friend brought chips they were barely touched so the kids will snack on those soon. I pick the kids up Sunday. Almost none of the non alcoholic drinks were touched. I have unopened sweet tea and soda. Most guests drank alcohol which they brought. I bought a couple blocks of cheese (on sale) and sliced some. No one ate the cheese & crackers. My kids can eat that or I’ll cook with the cheese. I bought chicken on sale recently and cooked and froze it off in batches so I just defrost as I need it. 

I am babysitting Saturday and just found out the kids will be awake the whole time. The hotel does not connect to the casino (was hoping for an arcade or restaurant access) and I can’t drive them anywhere so I need to get creative on how to kill 7 hours. I asked the mom if they’d like calico critters so I’m going to pack up some of those 😂 dd doesn’t play with them anymore. I’ll bring art supplies and see what games I can bring.

If the parents allow Minecraft on tablets, the kids could play that with you supervising. It is a fun game for kids, very innocent.

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Did you get approval from work for your move? 

No and I am no longer worried. At this point I think it’s more a formality. I sent a stack of proof that my expenses were killing me with my income + current rent. The woman was out of town and is probably catching up on emails etc. After she views it I think it goes to someone else as it’s a city employee rule not strictly a library rule. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

If the parents allow Minecraft on tablets, the kids could play that with you supervising. It is a fun game for kids, very innocent.

I mentioned maybe watching a movie in the room and based on her reaction I could tell she was trying to steer me away from screens. Also the agency encourages us to be interacting with the kids. I wonder if I have any books here I can read with them. 

My kids have used Minecraft off and on. Creative mode is innocent. I think survival mode can get weird… killing animals ? 

1 hour ago, TravelingChris said:

Inflation is still going up.  Most factors that go into housing costs are rising faster than some other costs. And w/ the amount of repairs we have had to do w/ our own house, we are super cognizant of those stats.

You are extremely lucky to have found a new landlord who is doing all the needed repairs and charging below market prices.

That may be true but $1200 for a one bedroom seems insane to me. 

The babysitting went well overall. I’m so glad I had some of those items I brought. The girls played off/on with the Calico critters stuff. Mom tipped me in cash and I plan to use some of that at the laundromat today. I’m trying to wash and organize stuff for move. 

Mom found a couple restaurants in a nearby building and I got permission to leave the room but the girls said that place was boring (they had walked there once) and they didn’t want to go on a walk lol So we ended up staying in the room. I brought dd’s non toxic nail polish and got permission to do their nails. The youngest passed out a little before Mom got back and Mom said that was an indicator she had a good time and stayed busy. The oldest asked if I could watch them again but I don’t think she understood that they are traveling so will unlikely be in my city again. I told her if they come back her mom can ask for me again. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

The babysitting went well overall. I’m so glad I had some of those items I brought. The girls played off/on with the Calico critters stuff. Mom tipped me in cash and I plan to use some of that at the laundromat today. I’m trying to wash and organize stuff for move. 

Mom found a couple restaurants in a nearby building and I got permission to leave the room but the girls said that place was boring (they had walked there once) and they didn’t want to go on a walk lol So we ended up staying in the room. I brought dd’s non toxic nail polish and got permission to do their nails. The youngest passed out a little before Mom got back and Mom said that was an indicator she had a good time and stayed busy. The oldest asked if I could watch them again but I don’t think she understood that they are traveling so will unlikely be in my city again. I told her if they come back her mom can ask for me again. 

Sounds like it went very well!

• Like 1