Menu

Word-of-the-year and Phrase-of-the-Year people: recap and looking forward

Ginevra

On 11/27/2023 at 5:18 PM, Slache said:

2023: Renew. Looking for marital, spiritual and financial renewal, seem to have found all three.

2024: Metamorphosis. Looking for changes in financial, physical and mental health. High hopes.

If anyone has a better word for Metamorphosis I'd be thrilled.

Someone I know is going with Flourish and I wanted to share that.

Transform, renew, recommit, transformative, hone, beautify, turbo, bloom, mature, epitomize.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As we get closer to the end of the year I've been spending more time thinking about my WotY for 2024. Next year is going to be a big travel year for us. We have a group cruise with friends right at the start (Jan 6th). I'm almost done planning our trip to the UK (mostly England and maybe Edinburgh) for late spring. We're also looking at booking a New England & Canada cruise in the fall. 

Any ideas for a travel related word that could also apply to other aspects of life? Journey and Explore are the most obvious and I might have to choose one of them. If anyone has another word that would fit I'm open to suggestions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

As we get closer to the end of the year I've been spending more time thinking about my WotY for 2024. Next year is going to be a big travel year for us. We have a group cruise with friends right at the start (Jan 6th). I'm almost done planning our trip to the UK (mostly England and maybe Edinburgh) for late spring. We're also looking at booking a New England & Canada cruise in the fall. 

Any ideas for a travel related word that could also apply to other aspects of life? Journey and Explore are the most obvious and I might have to choose one of them. If anyone has another word that would fit I'm open to suggestions.

Awe? Wonder? To me, the best part about travel is being blown away by the new sights and experiences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

Well, I have never chosen a word of the year before, but felt called to this year.  We are also doing a lot of traveling.  My word is behold, and for me I take my meaning from the Bible. So it is more than just a notice, but an actual seeing and perceiving. Jesus also used the word when he wanted them to notice something.  So I want to behold the people in my life, the situations in my life, and the places we travel as well as the people we serve.  I need to work on that to write it out more eloquently.  But there are many things I should behold in my life. I tend to not notice things much as my husband teases me about. 

• Like 3

On 12/18/2023 at 12:42 PM, Lady Florida. said:

Oooh, yay! I loved our trip to England and Scotland this past April/May. Loved Edinburgh. Would go again in a heartbeat. Loved the Scottish Highlands. My kind of place. 

How about Experience? That was my WOTY several years ago. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/18/2023 at 9:42 AM, Lady Florida. said:

Sojourn has a more formal ring to it.

Immerse?

Transport?

Voyage?  (I think this would be mine if I were having the year you plan)

Trek?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/26/2023 at 5:44 AM, Eos said:

Mine was "Strategic Planning."  I guess I did that, but maybe what I want this coming year is "Execute the Plan."

Changing this.  I'm expecting a horrible year and I'm going to go with Compassion and Deep Peace.  Logistics and infrastructure need to take a backseat.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, Eos said:

Changing this.  I'm expecting a horrible year and I'm going to go with Compassion and Deep Peace.  Logistics and infrastructure need to take a backseat.

I am sorry for this. Praying that things will not be nearly as terrible as you are anticipating and for grace and peace amidst challenges. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I think about what “on track” will mean in 2024, I think much will be not succumbing to the tyranny of the urgent. I need to be on track with important things. What’s for dinner, teen drama, and general busyness should not always usurp time and energy that need to be spent on health, finances, and learning. Need to keep my eye on how my time today affects the next 5-25 years. Big picture.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Eos said:

I hope you have a year of Peace. That is my Word for 24 and I will send peace to you when I meditate upon the word. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, Ginevra said:

Oooh, yay! I loved our trip to England and Scotland this past April/May. Loved Edinburgh. Would go again in a heartbeat. Loved the Scottish Highlands. My kind of place. 

How about Experience? That was my WOTY several years ago. 

The main parts of the trip are booked and deposits made. I'm excited!

And I think experience is going to be my word. It works in so many ways. Thank you for the suggestion. And thank you to everyone who offered ideas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1