Menu

Traditional Logic I - Martin Cothran - Thoughts?

Kate CA

I am seriously considering this for my "thinks a lot" oldest dd13. Thoughts? This looks good to me, but I don't know much about this program other than what Rainbow says and what MP says on their own website. I see Christine Miller really recommends it too and that is a nice endorsement.

Thoughts? Comments? How did it work with your family?

TIA!

Warmly,

Kate

I used it with my son when he was a junior in high school. He thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was a challenge in some places. Bear in mind, he was only home schooled for high school, so he came out of 8 years of public school. He didn't have the critical thinking foundation many home schooled kids have had by the time they reach 11th grade.

Anyway, it did prepare him for college geometry. I am very impressed with most of what Memoria Press produces and I think TL is a winner. :)

I've used it twice and plan to use it with my 3rd child next year. Excellent program.

It is hard to do both book I and book II in one year--the second book just seems to take more than a semester in my world. I schedule it for 3 semesters, even though I only give 1 credit.

There is a yahoo group to help answer questions. If you want the URL, I 'll ask around for it--I'm not a member this year.

Thank you, ladies! Now the only real question is whether to jump into it this year (half way through 7th) or just wait until 8th starts. I am kind of inclined to wait because our schedule is already so full. Next year seems like a better time than mid-way. So many things to think about! :)

Warmly,

Kate

Thank you, ladies! Now the only real question is whether to jump into it this year (half way through 7th) or just wait until 8th starts. I am kind of inclined to wait because our schedule is already so full. Next year seems like a better time than mid-way. So many things to think about! :)

Warmly,

Kate

I've always done TL in 9th grade, so I'd say wait until next year. Some children are ready in 8th, but I just didn't want to do it then.

I've always done TL in 9th grade, so I'd say wait until next year. Some children are ready in 8th, but I just didn't want to do it then.

Thank you, Jean. I appreciate your perspective as this is very new territory for me! I will happily wait. :)

Warmly,

Kate