Menu

Have you had your latest Covid vaccine yet? (Edited…not a booster)

Scarlett

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Well blerg, I just got DS (19) the Novavax, thinking it had lower side effects — including myocarditis — yesterday.

I’m not too worried, but what do we need to watch for re: myocarditis?

In other news, thus far my side effects have been a sore arm for about two hours, and not much else. I’m tired, and had nightmares all night, but nothing significant. So far, so good.

DH and DS have had a low grade temp, DH was very tired and napped at 6:00 pm. But no one seems miserable.

I don’t have time to pull up the exact statistic but will come back with it later, but I honestly wouldn’t be worrying about it. It’s something on the order of a couple or a few per million shots given. It’s very rare, but would probably involve some degree of chest pain. My son actually did have a couple pangs of chest pain after his first and second Moderna, but with the first one that was before anything was even known about myocarditis. But it was just a couple times and then it was gone. 
Eta:  I should add for context that this son gets occasional random chest pains anyway, to the point that he has had a check over by a cardiologist and an echo and all that and been cleared as normal. 
etaa: I was off by an order of magnitude. A year ago, out of 750,000 doses of Novavax administered, there were 36 cases of myocarditis. That’s about 5 per 100,000 doses. Those were being administered as a primary dose though, not as a booster. Hard to know if that would make any difference.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I had mine yesterday morning and I was fine for the rest of the day. Today, however, is not fine. Every muscle I have hurts and hurts a lot. I have taken medication but so far it hasn't helped. Ugh, I really do feel terrible.

Oh no! I'm sorry 😞 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 10:30 AM, KSera said:

I don’t have time to pull up the exact statistic but will come back with it later, but I honestly wouldn’t be worrying about it. It’s something on the order of a couple or a few per million shots given. It’s very rare, but would probably involve some degree of chest pain. My son actually did have a couple pangs of chest pain after his first and second Moderna, but with the first one that was before anything was even known about myocarditis. But it was just a couple times and then it was gone. 
Eta:  I should add for context that this son gets occasional random chest pains anyway, to the point that he has had a check over by a cardiologist and an echo and all that and been cleared as normal. 
etaa: I was off by an order of magnitude. A year ago, out of 750,000 doses of Novavax administered, there were 36 cases of myocarditis. That’s about 5 per 100,000 doses. Those were being administered as a primary dose though, not as a booster. Hard to know if that would make any difference.

Did your son have Novavax? Does anyone else have experience with Novavax for their young and (very) skinny 12+ year olds? Still (very!) difficult to get here - it looks like a CVS that did have it had received just one vial (not sure, but I got the impression they were going to receive one vial at a time, with no way to book a slot). 

A small local independent pharmacy just ordered Novavax this week (yay! not sure how many vials). Does anyone know how long it might take to arrive?

2 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Did your son have Novavax? Does anyone else have experience with Novavax for their young and (very) skinny 12+ year olds? Still (very!) difficult to get here - it looks like a CVS that did have it had received just one vial (not sure, but I got the impression they were going to receive one vial at a time, with no way to book a slot). 

A small local independent pharmacy just ordered Novavax this week (yay! not sure how many vials). Does anyone know how long it might take to arrive?

We just had Novavax. DD (12) and DS (19) did fine. Less side effects overall. Sore arms, and intermittent low grade temps. 

If you have a Costco, they seem to have Novavax in stock in many locations.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mom_to3 said:

Did your son have Novavax? Does anyone else have experience with Novavax for their young and (very) skinny 12+ year olds?

He did this time but had Moderna in the past. No side effects with Novavax for him.

33 minutes ago, Spryte said:

We just had Novavax. DD (12) and DS (19) did fine. Less side effects overall. Sore arms, and intermittent low grade temps. 

How have you done with it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KSera said:

He did this time but had Moderna in the past. No side effects with Novavax for him.

How have you done with it?

Really well! Thanks. Sore arm, very low grade temp here and there, but no 102 fever for days, etc.

I am in a fair bit of pain — the right flank variety that can get very severe — but it’s been manageable. My guess is that the shot caused a flare up of existing issues, maybe inflammation, but it’s not hospital type pain so I’m calling it a win. Flu shot did the same thing a few weeks ago.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...