Menu

Signing up for unemployment while retired?????

Indigo Blue

My mom is telling me that my dad is trying to sign up for unemployment. He is fully retired and in his 70’s. I asked her if she was sure she meant to say unemployment and wasn’t getting it confused with some other type of benefit. She said no. She said there is some type of unemployment benefit certain people can sign up for if they meet certain conditions even if they are retired. Does anyone know what she could possibly be talking about? 

I know someone who was employed while also receiving social security retirement benefits, and then lost the job, so was able to receive unemployment as well. But she had to continue looking for a job, etc.  But a person leaving their job voluntarily can't receive unemployment. 

• Like 2

Yes, I was just reading and see that if you recently lost your job and go into retirement, you could collect benefits, if you are eligible. I did not know that. 

My dad retired awhile back…several years ago. He hasn’t been looking for another job as far as I know. I don’t think he would qualify for unemployment. I’m confused about what he must be thinking….or ……..maybe I am uninformed.