Menu

What would you do with 3/4 lb lamb stew meat?

saraha

28 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Maybe... a traditional dish of Uzbekistan: Plov ??

This is what I was thinking!  Plov is a pretty basic dish that's kid-friendly overall and lamb goes perfectly with it.  I don't have a dutch oven (nor does anyone in Central Asia- they use qazans there), but I always make plov in a cast iron skillet.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Amira said:

This is what I was thinking!  Plov is a pretty basic dish that's kid-friendly overall and lamb goes perfectly with it.  I don't have a dutch oven (nor does anyone in Central Asia- they use qazans there), but I always make plov in a cast iron skillet.  

Yea! Someone else who knows Plov! A friend of mine worked in the USSR in the late 1980s in that area and she shared that recipe with me when she returned stateside.

I just make Plov in a heavy gauge pot with a lid (to keep moisture in to keep the lamb more tender). I cook the rice separately, and stir in right at the end. 😄 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Yea! Someone else who knows Plov! A friend of mine worked in the USSR in the late 1980s in that area and she shared that recipe with me when she returned stateside.

I just make Plov in a heavy gauge pot with a lid (to keep moisture in to keep the lamb more tender). I cook the rice separately, and stir in right at the end. 😄 

We’ve lived in Central Asia a couple of times.  I love all the different rice dishes there.  

• Like 2

3/4 lbs isn't that much for a family of 8 that's mostly teens and young adults.  Or maybe my kids just eat a ton. 

I'd want a recipe with a second form of protein, so that I could stretch the meat.  

There is a restaurant near me that serves a soup like this that I absolutely love:

https://www.runningtothekitchen.com/moroccan-lamb-lentil-stew/

So, I might try that.  

Or I'd make lamb vegetable soup using my beef vegetable soup recipe, and then serve it with grilled cheese.  

• Like 2