Menu

Common App -- School Profile question

blue plaid

I have had my school profile "finished" for quite a while but now am starting to doubt myself.  I see in several places that it is recommended to have a section about curriculum.  I don't have this section.  I have a Mission section (2 sentences) and a History section (6 sentences.)  I do mention in the History section that the last 2 years of high school are primarily dual enrollment (and why.)  I have a section for Educational Partners (which mostly includes curriculum provided by the Education Partner.) (I also have sections for school/counselor contact info, grades and course weightings, and graduation requirements.)

Do I need a specific Curriculum section?  Frankly I don't know how to describe it beyond aiming for interesting, challenging, tailored to the student, all of which are mentioned in the Mission and History (expressed a little more articulately.)   Is this ok?

thanks for any thoughts!

I ended up having different school profiles for each of my kids but in general I had sections covering community, history, philosophy, curriculum, grades, credits, graduation requirements, compliance, and my name, title, and degrees.  Some of the sections were put together (such as grades, credits, and graduation requirements).

So in the curriculum section for my younger son I wrote this: [deleted]

You can see that it is necessary to have read the philosophy section to understand the curriculum section.  Here is the most important part of that section (which directly preceded the curriculum section): [deleted]

So, to answer your question, you may want to rework the profile to eliminate the mission section and add a curriculum section while still keeping all of the relevant information.  I'd try to make sure that you never repeat information unless absolutely necessary, which includes the information in the school report on the Common App.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

I don't have a section on curriculum or educational partners.  My school profile is subdivided into 6 sections:

• simple overview (yr established and statement of educational philosophy),
  • history (why we decided homeschool in the first place),
  • educational philosophy (my philosophy of education, how it has been implemented via methodology, how that has translated into course design and ECs),
  • current students (briefly highlighting each grade of student in our current homeschool),
  • graduates (what our homeschool grads have gone on to achieve), and
  • profile of our local public school (here is an example: Of its approximately 1,100 students, 14% are considered economically disadvantaged. Its population is 85% white, 9% African-American, 4% Hispanic, and remaining ethnicities in categories under 2%. Total minority enrollment is 15%.  XYZ High School’s college readiness index is 11.0 on a 100-point scale. Its mathematics proficiency rating is 35% and its English proficiency rating is 78%.  I include a link to the description.)   I like to include the local ps proficiency rating bc our homeschool functions at a much higher academic level. 
Edited by 8filltheheart
  • Like 1

Just wanted to update that I re-worked my school profile, moved some things around, and now have a curriculum section.  I am feeling much better about it!  Thank you for the thoughts and advice.  In particular, EKS, your (now deleted) examples were SUPER helpful to me. And I appreciate the reminder to try not to be repetitive.  Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1