Menu

Anyone here have experience with auditions for performers?

chocolate-chip chooky

What do you mean by comp cards?  In lieu of a resume/head shot at a live audition?  My kids have done a bunch of theater auditioning youth, community, semi pro, profesionall.     

Most places in our area even pro theaters auditioning youth are very flexible with photos and will take anything.   I do think it's nice to be able to hand a one sheet printed resume at a live audition if you have one because I"m sure the typical resume gets a 3 second glance.  Since covid a lot more has been online forms/digital uploads.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, catz said:

What do you mean by comp cards?  In lieu of a resume/head shot at a live audition?  My kids have done a bunch of theater auditioning youth, community, semi pro, profesionall.     

Most places in our area even pro theaters auditioning youth are very flexible with photos and will take anything.   I do think it's nice to be able to hand a one sheet printed resume at a live audition if you have one because I"m sure the typical resume gets a 3 second glance.  Since covid a lot more has been online forms/digital uploads.  

My daughter has modelling comp cards. These are about postcard size, with one large photo on one side, and a few photos on the back, showing different looks. The card has name, stats, agency details, a little personal info. It's like a business card but also a mini portfolio, commonly used by models and actors as far as I know. They are printed on card and look really professional.

So the current situation is that my daughter has a performance audition, not modelling, and we're wondering if handing her comp cards to the panel would be appropriate or inappropriate. I feel like it could go either way, and be either a really really good move and make her look professional and be remembered in a queue of hundreds OR it could be so out of left field for the situation that it backfires and just looks weird. We just don't have the experience to know.

3 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

My daughter has modelling comp cards. These are about postcard size, with one large photo on one side, and a few photos on the back, showing different looks. The card has name, stats, agency details, a little personal info. It's like a business card but also a mini portfolio, commonly used by models and actors as far as I know. They are printed on card and look really professional.

So the current situation is that my daughter has a performance audition, not modelling, and we're wondering if handing her comp cards to the panel would be appropriate or inappropriate. I feel like it could go either way, and be either a really really good move and make her look professional and be remembered in a queue of hundreds OR it could be so out of left field for the situation that it backfires and just looks weird. We just don't have the experience to know.

Oh I think that would be totally fine to use in lieu of a headshot.  I actually doubt it will be a plus or a minus most places and people that audition lots of kids have seen it all.  I've seen really polished kids on stage that show up with a selfie off their printer land a professional role.  And I've seen kids with reprentation and commercial experience not have a lot of stage presence and not be cast in moderately competitive youth theater.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, catz said:

Oh I think that would be totally fine to use in lieu of a headshot.  I actually doubt it will be a plus or a minus most places and people that audition lots of kids have seen it all.  I've seen really polished kids on stage that show up with a selfie off their printer land a professional role.  And I've seen kids with reprentation and commercial experience not have a lot of stage presence and not be cast in moderately competitive youth theater.   

The thing is, it hasn't been requested to bring a headshot or anything else to the audition. Photos and videos were submitted online during the first screening phase. 

So, I expect it may be quite unusual to turn up and hand over comp cards. But, it could work in her favour to stand out in the queue. And we don't know if the in-person panel would be the same people that did the initial screening. 

I think it will come down to what she feels comfortable with at the time. 

Thanks heaps for brainstorming this with me. Much appreciated 🌻

• Like 1