Menu

want to recommend audio book- Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You

ktgrok

It is a "remix" of the book Stamped From the Beginning, by Ibram X Kendi. I guess that book is more a straight history narrative. This book, which was based on that but rewritten with Jason Reynolds, is more accessible, for lack of a better word? In particular, I'd highly highly high recommend the audio version. Jason Reynolds is the narrator (except for the introduction, which is read by Ibram X Kendi) and he does an amazing job. It's very...casual isn't the word, but definitely not formal. It feels like he is talking right to you, directly, rather than reading a book. (full disclosure, I may be biased because I really just like his voice...I'd probably enjoy a few chapters of a phone book if he read it, lol)

Anyway, I'm on chapter 25 and finding it really interesting. The kids version is scheduled in the history we are using this year, so I got this one for me. Turns out the kids one is a bit too young for my 13 yr old so today I listened to the introduction and chapter 1 again with her, as she felt the kids version was too babyish. Didn't help that the kids version is narrated by an actual kid - I think the print version is better than the audio with that version. 

There is also a graphic novel version of the original book, Stamped From the Beginning, which I have on my shelf for DD13 if she wants it. I haven't looked at it though because frankly, my brain can never figure out what order to read the speech bubbles in graphic novels 🙂 But yeah, that one is based on the orginal history book, versus this book (Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You)which is more a "here is history and here is now it relates to now" in a very accessible format. 

To clarify, because I realized there are too many different books that sound the same and I was confused myself at first:

Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You - A Remix of Stamped from the Beginning -  written in 2020 by Jason Reynolds AND Ibram X Kendi. This is the one I'm listening too, recommending, and particularly recommend the audio book version. Upper middle school and up for this one, I'd say. Some mentions of "hypersexuality" stereotypes and mentions of rape. If using with middle school I'd say read together, or listen together. Not hand it off. 

Stamped (For Kids): Racism, Antiracism, and You - written in 2024 by Jason Reynolds AND Ibram X Kendi. This one I am just starting, and do NOT enjoy the audio version as much as the narrator is a little kid and my kids found it sounded babyish read by him. The print version is great for kids though, as far as I can tell - we have only read the introduction and chapter 1.

Stamped From the Beginning -The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America  - this one was written in 2017 by Ibram X Kendi, and I have not read it or listened to the audio version. 

Stamped From the Beginning - A Graphic History of Racist Ideas in America - written in 2023 by Ibram X Kendi and Joel Christian Gill (he was the one who adapted it from the main novel and did the illustrations). Have not read it, but own it and could glance at it if anyone wants. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It was very illuminating for me to listen to, as well. I tend to listen to my audiobooks on double fast speed, and I should have slowed this one down. Lots to think about, and I agree that the narration is excellent. If I remember correctly, I tried the original adult book first, then switched to the Jason Reynolds version and found it very accessible.

• Like 1