Menu

Exercise suggestions for this kid.

Drama Llama

19 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I guess that depends on the density of the population. A bike ride where I live would involve passing 0 people. 

I live in a inner suburb that's pretty densely populated.  There is a multiuse trail near us that has a ton of people, on it although maybe if I send him in the middle of the day it would be less crowded?

• Like 2

Even without outward symptoms, I'd be wary about getting my kid in a position to develop heart damage from Covid.  When ds had it, we heavily monitored his heart rate and activity levels.  It was the one time in his life we encouraged a lot of tv watching, taking things slow, and slowly building up his cardiac activity again.

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, HomeAgain said:

Even without outward symptoms, I'd be wary about getting my kid in a position to develop heart damage from Covid.  When ds had it, we heavily monitored his heart rate and activity levels.  It was the one time in his life we encouraged a lot of tv watching, taking things slow, and slowly building up his cardiac activity again.

I agree. I seem to remembering reading quite a bit about exercise and Covid, and that rates of long Covid tend to be more prevalent in people who went back to their "regular" too quickly instead of allowing themselves to fully heal.

Anecdotally I do have a friend in this position; he's been dealing with serious heart and lung issues for 2 or so years now with no relief in sight. He's a former Navy guy, strong and fit, who is now struggling with basic life. 

It'll be boring for your kid, but I'd encourage lots and lots of downtime--and please no heavy breathing around other people, even outside! 

• Like 3

just an FYI - I had zero symptoms of Covid other than one evening of some sinus pressure. BUT...my heart rate was wonky for 6 weeks. I tried to do some yoga and just putting my hands over my head to stretch put my heartrate into the 150s. If he doesn't wear a heart rate monitor I'd be VERY hesitant to let him exercise, especially out of your eyesight. There are just SO MANY people whose hearts are effected by Covid, mostly short term, but still. If someone has an apple watch or fitbit that will monitor his heart rate I'd be okay with it. (assuming a suburb with pretty empty sidewalks/streets where he can avoid riding right by people)

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

I'll chime in with weird heart rate stuff. I wasn't that sick otherwise -- it was like a bad cold or a flu -- but my heart rate was wonky for months. And I would get EXHAUSTED and totally collapse.

I'd spent the entire fall walking hours and hours up and down hills, and then suddenly, after I had COVID, I wouldn't be able to walk 10 minutes without getting winded and having heart rate issues. It was really bizarre. 

So yeah. I'd go with "he should take it easy if at all possible."

• Like 2

The heart rate thing is weird. I’ve tested every time I have Covid like symptoms and never tested positive but I’m also having random odd heart beat feelings and run out of puff faster. I’m majorly not antivax but I’m honestly starting to wonder.

either that or the more likely explanation that I had a pretty much asymptomatic infection and didn’t detect it. 

I know of two more people with weird new health issues. (Diabetes and ongoing cough). In one case apparently the dr said it was “Covid or the vax” in the other case apparently the Dr called it the Pfizer cough. How widespread is this view in medicine? The second one makes no sense to me- it seems much more likely that a respiratory illness you inhaled would cause an ongoing cough than a shot in the arm but I’m probably missing something.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

I find your question to be totally out of character. You seem to always put much emphasis on keeping your grandfather in law safe health-wise. To think about sending a covid positive person out in a dense neighborhood makes no sense. Please think of all the others, even if not related to you.

Edited by Idalou