Menu

Calling Dr Hive, DDS

Katy

DS6 has an adult front tooth coming in behind his front teeth about 1/8th an inch. Is this something I can leave or do I need to drive him a few hours to the university with a dental school to get an extraction? 

He has secondary medicare and I cannot find a local dentist that will take both our primary insurance and his secondary medicare. Two dentists do, but they both said it’s currently against the law to accept new patients. And I think his secondary dental provider changes October 1st anyway. 

3 hours ago, Katy said:

DS6 has an adult front tooth coming in behind his front teeth about 1/8th an inch. Is this something I can leave or do I need to drive him a few hours to the university with a dental school to get an extraction? 

He has secondary medicare and I cannot find a local dentist that will take both our primary insurance and his secondary medicare. Two dentists do, but they both said it’s currently against the law to accept new patients. And I think his secondary dental provider changes October 1st anyway. 

Totally normal.  The tooth that is.   A law that says that dentists can't accept patients is not normal.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

Totally normal.  The tooth that is.   A law that says that dentists can't accept patients is not normal.  

The dental school won’t accept him as a patient until November either. But I can’t schedule an appointment now. I must call back then. 🙄

DH says we should try someone we know who’s a concierge dentist. She doesn’t accept any insurance so I’ll have to pay cash and submit it myself. I’ve tried calling her office twice today, but apparently they take a very long lunch. Or maybe they’re closed on Monday mornings. I know they are closed every Friday. 

47 minutes ago, Drama Llama said:

I agree the law thing is absurd. But I heard “law” “regulation” and “rules” from about a dozen offices so there must be something to it. 

4 hours ago, Katy said:

The dental school won’t accept him as a patient until November either. But I can’t schedule an appointment now. I must call back then. 🙄

DH says we should try someone we know who’s a concierge dentist. She doesn’t accept any insurance so I’ll have to pay cash and submit it myself. I’ve tried calling her office twice today, but apparently they take a very long lunch. Or maybe they’re closed on Monday mornings. I know they are closed every Friday. 

Is the adult tooth completely all the way in? Unless it is and the baby tooth is still not loose, this is super, super normal and I honestly wouldn’t even consider a dentist for it. Like I said, it’s been that way for half my kids so I looked it up the first time it happened and talked to the dentist about it, and it’s just not an issue unless that tooth doesn’t loosen up and come out. The adult teeth always moved forward. Now if these are top teeth, that’s not as common, but with bottom teeth it is. 

If you search, “shark teeth in kids“ you will find tons of links

https://www.anchoragepediatricdentistry.com/should-i-worry-about-my-childs-shark-teeth/

https://mywellnesshouse.com/shark-teeth-in-kids/

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, KSera said:

Is the adult tooth completely all the way in? Unless it is and the baby tooth is still not loose, this is super, super normal and I honestly wouldn’t even consider a dentist for it. Like I said, it’s been that way for half my kids so I looked it up the first time it happened and talked to the dentist about it, and it’s just not an issue unless that tooth doesn’t loosen up and come out. The adult teeth always moved forward. Now if these are top teeth, that’s not as common, but with bottom teeth it is. 

If you search, “shark teeth in kids“ you will find tons of links

https://www.anchoragepediatricdentistry.com/should-i-worry-about-my-childs-shark-teeth/

https://mywellnesshouse.com/shark-teeth-in-kids/

Bottom teeth, barely broken the surface, definitely not all the way in! DH is simply worried they’ll make the likelihood of needing braces higher. Neither of us, none of our older kids, and only one of our siblings needed braces so we don’t know much about them. 

Two of my 3 kids have had that.  It’s in no way urgent, but will probably need to be pulled by the dentist.  If it’s not loose then the root was probably not dissolved.  My kid’s teeth had long roots when pulled.  

The one thing you need to do is make sure you are brushing between the teeth so cavities don’t develop.

• Thanks 1