Menu

Adjustable bed frames.....Sleep number or other??

Ottakee

My mother is elderly and is looking at an adjustable bed frame so that she can raise her head, raise her feet, etc. but still lay flat at times.  She got a quote for a sleep number mattress and frame and it was $5000.   There have to be cheaper options than this.

A few requirements though----she is a larger lady so wants a FULL size bed, not a twin size.   We need the frame to be 13 -14 inches off the ground or adjustable to that height so she can transfer from bed to wheelchair and back.  She wants an air mattress so she can adjust the firmness as well.

I asked about a hospital bed with air mattress but she said that wasn't wide enough....but I think some hospital beds are wider than a twin but not quite a full.

She needs one to hold 350 pounds or so.

Any ideas for me?  I saw this frame but wasn't sure on quality.  It is $1300 cheaper than the sleep number one and she could still get the sleep number bed.

Adjustable bed frames are made by a few companies, so it basically doesn't matter who you buy the adjustable frame from. I would focus on the durability of the mattress and just buy the frame from they sell. I got a Wink Bed for my father, who is a tall, heavily proportioned man, and it's exceptional. He had completely worn out a traditional queen mattress of normal construction in a short number of years. This Wink Bed is so sturdily made that it looks BRAND NEW after two years. It comes all rolled and shrink wrapped, so you get it generally into position and then snip to let it unfurl. Super easy. I basically set up an entire queen bed set up for him on my own, just me.

We did the adjustable frame and it's fine if your loved one has the cognitive ability to use it. My dad sometimes gets confused and sometimes things go wrong. Like one time he managed to disconnect the cords underneath so it didn't have power. Put some velcro on the remote and mount it on the wall so it doesn't get lost.

Another option instead of the adjustable frame would be to consider various pillows. Walmart sells a *wedge* pillow that is a large triangle to elevate your head. She could have a couple of those with nice covers. 

The Wink Bed we ordered came with some sheets, pillows, etc. which were all very nice. The thing is INCREDIBLY deep so you want to make sure your sheets are ready to work with that. I think it may have come with a waterproof cover and I bought another one as well. You can never be too protective with older people. (or kids or...) I like the thin washable waterproof covers and suggest double layering them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

She wants an air mattress so she can adjust the firmness as well.

Has she actually slept on one? We used to have one of those (that my dh got before we got married) and I HATED it. Passionately. Most uncomfortable sleep ever. 

See if they have changed the technology, but when we had ours it was an air mattress with foam around the edges for support. Not ideal for sitting on the edge or transfers. And you would sag in the middle making your back ache. My dh LOVES a saggy mattress and I despise it. 

I would have serious questions about how well a standard product would hold up even. I think the firmness I got for my father was Plus with Wink Beds. If you scroll down, you'll see they have various firmness options. They do something with their layers so it's still comfortable. I can't imagine my father would sleep well if it weren't comfortable. You can add an egg crate or 2-5" of memory foam so easily. There's no reason not to get a properly supportive mattress that will hold up. 

But I hated the Select Comfort and sold it off hot fast, so I'm biased. 🤣

• Like 1

it was $5000. 

If she's got that money burning a hole in her pocket and decides to go with a Wink Bed instead (call them for advice on the firmness), then she might like something like this:

https://optimaol.com/product/thera-glide-auto-locking-glider/#:~:text=The Thera-Glide® is an auto locker glider that,for a steady%2C safe egress.

I bought one for my dad to have in his apartment. He loves, LOVES rocking and this locks when they go to stand up, allowing them to push up properly to be safe. Comes in a variety of models and sizes.

38 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If she's got that money burning a hole in her pocket and decides to go with a Wink Bed instead (call them for advice on the firmness), then she might like something like this:

https://optimaol.com/product/thera-glide-auto-locking-glider/#:~:text=The Thera-Glide® is an auto locker glider that,for a steady%2C safe egress.

I bought one for my dad to have in his apartment. He loves, LOVES rocking and this locks when they go to stand up, allowing them to push up properly to be safe. Comes in a variety of models and sizes.

She has a lift chair already.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Has she actually slept on one? We used to have one of those (that my dh got before we got married) and I HATED it. Passionately. Most uncomfortable sleep ever. 

See if they have changed the technology, but when we had ours it was an air mattress with foam around the edges for support. Not ideal for sitting on the edge or transfers. And you would sag in the middle making your back ache. My dh LOVES a saggy mattress and I despise it. 

I would have serious questions about how well a standard product would hold up even. I think the firmness I got for my father was Plus with Wink Beds. If you scroll down, you'll see they have various firmness options. They do something with their layers so it's still comfortable. I can't imagine my father would sleep well if it weren't comfortable. You can add an egg crate or 2-5" of memory foam so easily. There's no reason not to get a properly supportive mattress that will hold up. 

But I hated the Select Comfort and sold it off hot fast, so I'm biased. 🤣

She had a sleep number bed for 10 plus years and liked it.  When it needed replacing she went with a traditional mattress and doesn’t like it.

• Like 1

I thought the advantage of the Sleep Number bed was so that both folks on either side could have varying hardness/softness.

When a widow relative wanted to get one, I suggested we just go to a regular bed/mattress store because what she really wanted was an adjustable bed with a mattress that was of a firmness she liked.  It was very much cheaper than the Sleep Number folks.  She is also a large person. The first mattress they delivered was not what she ordered (???), so they came out and replaced that one. Other than that, she has been very happy with her adjustable bed. 

I've tried those wedge pillows for your back. You slide down all night long. I do not recommend them. I think in order not to slip down, you need to raise your feet/knees so you are more equally balanced. Either that or there is some trick about not sliding down them that I never learned! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I've tried those wedge pillows for your back. You slide down all night long. I do not recommend them. I think in order not to slip down, you need to raise your feet/knees so you are more equally balanced. Either that or there is some trick about not sliding down them that I never learned! 

Well rats, now I know not to try that!

She had a sleep number bed for 10 plus years and liked it.  When it needed replacing she went with a traditional mattress and doesn’t like it.

Well then do some digging and see what they're charging. When I compared, it seemed like there were just a couple manufacturers of the adjustable frames. 

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I asked about a hospital bed with air mattress but she said that wasn't wide enough....but I think some hospital beds are wider than a twin but not quite a full.

Yes, her doctor could prescribe her a hospital bed and they do come in a wider width. I don't know about the air mattresses, but definitely the hospital bed itself can come in a wider frame. It's what my dad had while in rehab. Googling wide hospital beds gets you wide and bariatric. The wide seem to be 300 pounds so she might be better with that step up. Maybe you could find a deal locally by looking on craigslist or your fb marketplace? 

It looks like the wide and bariatric hospital beds have options of regular mattresses or memory foam. 

https://www.transfermaster.com/mattress/pressureguard-apm2/  Look at this! They have multiple kinds of air mattresses meant to go with adjustable hospital beds.

Edited by PeterPan

Caspar has an adjustable bed frame.  They had a great labor day sale and says their next sale will be black friday.  Online I just checked and a Queen with adjustable base would be $2500 (that's the "snow" cooling mattress -- the regular mattress is cheaper but we got the "snow" because I get very hot when sleeping).  When the base is bought with the mattress it is around 500 dollars.  We have it and it raises the head, the feet, and has a massage function, which I accidentally started this morning scaring myself and my dogs.

• Like 1