Menu

Would you adopt a 12 yo dog?

Calizzy

We have a 3 yo chihuahua and are looking for another small dog. I was looking for something about the same age, but today we met the sweetest little rescue mutt but she is 12 😞 My kids loved her, but they are scared they will fall in love and she will die in a year or 2. I loved her too, my concern is incontinence. Just to add, she has 3 legs and when they took her back to the kennel she pulled and pulled not wanting to go 😞 Would you do it? 

• Like 1

Without kids in the house I might. With kids, no. For one thing a 12 yo dog wouldn't be much of a playmate for children. Then there's your concern about how many years the dog has left and how the kids will take her death.

When it comes time for us get a dog (after we do some retirement traveling) I plan to find an older dog. Even then I'm not sure if I'd want a 12 year old dog unless it really tugs at my heart strings. My niece volunteered at a shelter when she was a teenager and the older dogs and cats rarely got adopted. When she moved out on her own she went there and asked to adopt the oldest cat they had. He lived for 5 years after she brought him home and was a sweetheart.

There are some times when adopting an older pet is a good idea. I don't think that time is when you have children.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

Yes I would, and I plan to adopt a couple of seniors once I get the major remodeling out of the way downstairs. My dog is 10 and he's perfectly healthy and a total love bug who keeps us endlessly entertained. (He's also dumb as a box of rocks, so I can't comment on any issues with cognitive decline because... how would we even know, lol.)

Little dogs can live a long time, and even if you only have her for a few years, think of what those years would mean to her. A dog that age likely had a loving home at some point, and now she's lost everything and is stuck in a noisy, scary shelter with no one to love on her. 

My absolute favorite social media account is Steve Greig on Insta @wolfgang2242. He adopts senior dogs and those with medical issues that no one else wants (plus a very grumpy pig and a few other animals). His posts are often hilarious and he is just an all around wonderful human being. This is Eeyore, who was adopted by Steve when he was 12 and he lived to be 19:

Screenshot 2023-09-14 at 3.32.59 PM.png

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5

Yes I would. What I will never do again is get a puppy. 

ETA I’m not sure the ages of your kids. This would be a factor. A 12 year old dog is very different from a 12 year old chihuahua. I’m not sure I would with young kids. I have a chihuahua and young kids, but we’ve had her since she was a puppy so she is good with our kids.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 1

Yes, I would. 

But in your shoes I'd consider three things --

• Do you have room in your budget? Senior pet care can be expensive
  • Are you kids old enough to know how to behave around an elderly pet, and
  • Is your 3 yo dog calm and easy going enough to not bother the senior dog
  • Like 9

I would. Small dogs live long lives. Our chihuahua lived to be at least 16 (she was probably older than we thought when we rescued her), and we’ve known an extra-senior 22 year old small dog.

We have friends who do foster hospice for senior dogs. It’s so rewarding for them, and honestly doesn’t even sound like your potential pup is needing hospice at this point. I think our friends just look at the wonderful life they can give these dogs. Their kids were 10 - 15 when they started.

And there’s no guarantee with a younger dog. (Sigh. We lost a 7 yr old to lymphoma not long ago.)

However, vet bills can be high (for any dog, right, but more potential for a senior).  And small senior dogs can feel pretty fragile if there’s rough housing. So I think you have to factor in your household (kids, animals).

Now that I’ve typed all that, it’s probably all been said before. Oops!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh no, now I kind of want to go find a sweet 12 year old tiny dog with three legs and bring her home. Aaack!

Go to petfinder.com. Enter your location, click on dogs, and select "senior." 

I want them all. Especially Poppy. (don't quote please)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

We did and she is still going strong. She was 10 when we got her but I would have taken her even if she was 12.  When we got her, she wasn’t expect to live the year as she was severely neglected due to her elderly owner developing dementia.  Proper food, a wonderful vet and lots of love can do wonders. We were very open with our kids and made sure the sensitive one was ok knowing she might not have long. Everyone agreed that she should live out her life here and she is living her best life now ( how many on here have a squishmellow dog bed lol).  If you asked me if I would do it again, I would in a heartbeat. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well my sister adopted two 17 year old chihuahuas.  One clearly acts her age and sleeps most of the time the other is more spry than her 7 year old dog.  As someone who works in rescue, I am most grateful to anyone who opens their hearts and homes to older dogs.  They deserve a loving home just as much as a younger dog but are so often overlooked because people don't want the heartbreak of loving a dog with a shorter life.  But whether you have them for a year or 10 the heartbreak will still be there on your end but you may be the difference to that dog to live the rest of its life feeling loved. And while I understand no one wants to set their kids up for heartbreak by losing an animal, there are many lessons to be learned about loving and compassion by standing by an elderly animal that even kids can benefit from the experience. 

With that said, I wouldn't let age be the defining factor, personality and compatibility with your other dog and your children are key.  If it's a match on that front, than absolutely I would go for it.

Oh and they do make doggy diapers so even things like incontinence don't have to be deal breakers.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Calizzy said:

I took dh to see her tonight. He liked her too... We decided to sleep on it. Here is her picture.

Screenshot 2023-09-14 9.29.30 PM.png

Oh my gosh is she cute. 

Yes, I would as long as you have the budget for it.  We adopted a 7 or 8 year old big dog and had the same worries.  We got 5 years with her.   We don't regret it for a second.  

• Like 3

If I could afford potential vet bills and kids knew/understand the realities of adopting a senior pet. 
Our child wanted a pet for the longest time and we finally relented and went to the shelter. Our child picked out a senior pet. I said No. We went back multiple times to look and every time the child picked out the same senior one, even after looking at younger ones. This senior one had lingered at the shelter for months because no one wanted them. We finally gave in and adopted the senior pet. They had an amazing five years with us. We have always been very thankful that we adopted this pet.

• Like 12

Oh my goodness, she is the cutest! ❤️ I would take her in a heartbeat, look at little face. She looks healthy, her eyes are clear and her coat looks great, I bet she had a family that loved her. Do you know the backstory? Sadly a lot of small older dogs end up in the shelter when their elderly owners pass away.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Calizzy said:

I took dh to see her tonight. He liked her too... We decided to sleep on it. Here is her picture.

We had a dog like that years ago, similar situation, with him looking at us through the bars for the adoption photo, and he was a WONDERFUL dog. We didn't realize it but he had been shuffled through various (kill) shelters as he was older and hard to adopt out but had such a sweet personality. You're probably going to love the dog and you have no clue when he'll pass. A dog could get cancer or have other things that take them so a young dog is no guarantee. It's ok to grieve and deal with that when the time comes. You'll enjoy her now and she'll enjoy you. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Calizzy said:

Screenshot 2023-09-14 9.29.30 PM.png

Oh my goodness, that face is the sweetest. If I were looking and her temperament was a match, I’d take her in a heartbeat. Does your 3.yr old dog like other dogs and does this dog?

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely (in my current situation though, maybe not yours).

When we adopted our third kitty I wanted to rescue a senior cat. But with younger OG kitties the shelter advised getting a younger one to avoid territorial conflicts. I don’t want a brand new kitten (I know, I know, I’m just not up for it right now—and they get adopted quickly anyway, plus I’d want two and…) so I compromised with a year old kitten, which has been perfect.

Still, my heart desperately wants all the older kitties who deserve to live out their lives smothered with kisses and snuggles and love. 🥰

• Like 1

If I didn’t set rules for myself, my house, family, and pets would be in danger because I’d take every animal I see.

I have “accidentally” adopted two large dogs instead of one. I have “accidentally” come home with 2 kittens from a school event. And Dh suckered me into a second GSD puppy (which did get resolved, but was painful.) I no longer allow myself to get animals spontaneously or without a specific purpose.

I got my chi-mutt when I had decided I needed a fur baby because I wasn’t having anymore skin babies.

I got the puppy/puppies for a needed sense of security, and for non-fragile companionship. (Chi-mutt is delicate, lol.)

Someday, I would like to give a senior dog or two a home. Today, that would not fit into my budget, lifestyle, or purpose of looking for a new pet. So it would be a no.

When I’m prepared to intentionally look for a senior pet, of course I’d get that one!!! 

Yes, if I knew I could afford the medical bills. I think I would purchase the pet insurance, take that baby to Petsmart, load up all of the things, and give him the best few years I could. Yes, loving a senior and knowing the end might be near would be something I kept in the back of my mind but little dogs can live up to 18+ years.

Can you take your 3yo dog for a meet and greet? If they get along, go for it.

• Like 1

Absolutely, yes, I would! But as other posters have mentioned, only if I had the budget for the vet bills. Boy, that photo you posted sure is cute! I’d have a tough time walking away from that one! 
I posted here on the night we brought home a lovely little 11 year old sheltie girl, wondering if I had made a mistake. That pup was the easiest dog I have ever had: Perfectly housebroken, angelic disposition, walked on a loose lead from day one. She was my Velcro girl for a little over 5 years. 💕🐾💕🐾 Dang! I miss that dog! 

• Like 6

No. Bringing  senior dog into a household with a young dog and children could be too much for that dog. I'd worry about their stress levels. It's one thing to raise a dog in that kind of environment, but to suddenly thrust it into that would be risky, IME.

Additionally, the cost of vet care, meds/special diets, "protecting" the dog from the chaos of the home situation, and knowing that it will pass away sooner rather than later, are big factors for me. My house isn't set up to be a relaxing haven for an elderly dog that's not familiar with it. I currently have a senior dog, but he's been with us for 8 years and he has plenty of ways places to hide away when he needs to be on his own and sleep - which he does - a lot. Older dogs are not really "play mates" for young, energetic dogs and kids. They need their space. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, wintermom said:

No. Bringing  senior dog into a household with a young dog and children could be too much for that dog. I'd worry about their stress levels. It's one thing to raise a dog in that kind of environment, but to suddenly thrust it into that would be risky, IME.

Additionally, the cost of vet care, meds/special diets, "protecting" the dog from the chaos of the home situation, and knowing that it will pass away sooner rather than later, are big factors for me. My house isn't set up to be a relaxing haven for an elderly dog that's not familiar with it. I currently have a senior dog, but he's been with us for 8 years and he has plenty of ways places to hide away when he needs to be on his own and sleep - which he does - a lot. Older dogs are not really "play mates" for young, energetic dogs and kids. They need their space. 

This totally depends on the dog, just like it does with people — some 70 yr olds just want to sleep on the sofa in front of the TV and others are out there running marathons. Many older dogs are still quite active and playful, and 12 is really not that old for a small dog. Steve Greig's household is pretty crazy with 9 dogs ranging in age from 8 to 18, plus a pig, a chicken, rabbits, and ducks, and he takes all 9 dogs on burrito runs every Saturday, he's taken a bunch of them on road trips, and even some of the oldest still love to be in the middle of everything.

My 10 yr old looks and acts like a much younger dog, he's super bouncy and active and he loves to go with DD to visit her friends and her (now ex) boyfriend, who lives in a chaotic house with several other dogs including a GSD puppy. And even the busiest household with kids is far less stressful for an older dog than a small cell with a cement floor in a noisy shelter surrounded by other scared, barking dogs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

This totally depends on the dog, just like it does with people — some 70 yr olds just want to sleep on the sofa in front of the TV and others are out there running marathons.

I agree.

It depends on both dogs.

We currently have a just-turned-12-yo dog (Avatar Dog) and a 17 month old young 'un that we brought home when he was nine weeks old. They get along fine. Sure sometimes we have to tell the young 'un to knock it off, but it's not a big deal. Now I will say that in our case we brought in a puppy knowing Avatar Dog's activity and energy level were up to it. I think it's probably a little trickier when you're bringing in an older dog. But there really shouldn't be any firm "no" or "yes" answers as far as mixing ages because it really is an individual thing.

• Like 3

I would want to and there is a small dog right now up for adoption that is 13. I just don't know if my heart could take it. I'm still struggling with the loss of two pets a year apart. The doggo is in a foster home right now so I'm not feeling guilty about not adopting it but I still find myself going back and looking at her.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

If I didn’t set rules for myself, my house, family, and pets would be in danger because I’d take every animal I see.

Yes! It takes all my willpower not to bring another pet home, be it a cat or dog. We currently have 2 cats and we want to travel now that dh is retired. One cat is 15 and diabetic. Fortunately my niece and/or her 15yo daughter are able to take care of her but sometimes I worry if we go away for too long will she still be alive when we get home.

My brother and I are the same when it comes to getting pets. I once had a diabetic dog, now I have the cat. He has a 3-legged cat along with 2 other cats, one he rescued from a dumpster near where he was working. I blame our mom lol. One of us was always bringing a puppy or kitten home and her mantra was always "We'll only keep it until we can find a good home for it." Of course our home ended up being the good home. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 4:27 PM, MercyA said:

Go to petfinder.com. Enter your location, click on dogs, and select "senior." 

Oh my goodness.  I didn’t know senior dogs were a thing.  As someone who gets overwhelmed by dog energy, these guys all look delightfully mellow.  Why yes, I do want a dog that will just hangout by the fireplace!  (My kids would disagree!)

• Like 5