Menu

Pre-ripped jeans

Wilma

I have avoided the pre-ripped jeans for years, and finally caved. A daughter found a super cute pair of jeans that fit and looked great, and they have a single, uh, cut. So, what's going to happen with that cut? It's a tidy line of cut fabric, but surely when it goes through the laundry several times it's going to turn into a mess, right? This is why I have avoided the pre-ripped/cut/messed up jeans! What do people actually do with pants like these? 

31 minutes ago, Wilma said:

What do people actually do with pants like these? 

When it is a single cut (whether pre-ripped or by accident), my friends would  have just converted them to shorts or capris. 
I have a pair of pre-ripped jeans but they actually have patches behind the rips. So it has that worn look while not being really ripped. I went to engineering school and most of us had jeans ripped by machines in the labs. Luckily ripped jeans were in fashion in the 80s/90s. 

• Like 1

When I was in Melbourne hospital last week my ds 25 came to visit me from rural Victoria . He asked me why so many people were wearing rags in the city. He wondered if they were trying to pretend they did physical work or if it was a way to stop being robbed. When questioned on what he was meaning he was talking about ripped jeans. 

• Haha 12

I have several pairs of ripped jeans that I've been wearing for years and none of them have changed. They are still intact, the rips are exactly where they were when I bought them and no larger.  The only pair that has changed is a pair where the cuffs were shredded up a bit, and my foot kept getting caught trying to put them on, but otherwise, the tears have not worsened a bit after much washing and wearing. 

On 9/14/2023 at 2:26 PM, Katy said:

If you look closely the rip is probably carefully sewn around in matching thread, similar to a giant buttonhole. 

It wasn't -- the first wash made the jeans fray a fair bit. So we used this tactic and I bet it will work beautifully. 

• Like 1

I have one pair that my youngest dd talked me into buying. They are cute and comfy and I like them, but I don’t wear them just anywhere. Call me ageist, but I feel odd being dressed like a much younger person while in my 6th decade. My artist friends don’t give a hoot so they see them most. 

They’re not an expensive pair - Old Navy - and there’s no stitching around the tips. I haven’t noticed the ripped places getting bigger, but I do have to trim the bottoms if there are new long hanging strings after a run through the washer and dryer. 

A downside - once I wore them walking on a path near a field. Later that evening when I got ready for bed, I found a tick stuck on my leg, above the knee right in the same spot as one of those rips. 

Edited by Grace Hopper