Menu

Quilting frame suggestions

Bootsie

I am teaching myself to quilt.  I have a quilt top I have pieced and I would like to hand quilt it--it is simply made out of random scraps and is nothing special--it's my learning-make mistakes-piece.  But, I have found three quilt tops my grandmother pieced by hand 50 years ago that were never quilted and I would like to hand quilt those also.  I hadn't realized how large, heavy, and bulky they would be to hand quilt.  I have a large hoop but think I would like to try a large stand frame.  But, I don't know what to look for when purchasing one.  Any suggestions and recommendations?

This is so much personal preference.  My preference is for the white pvc pipe style hand hoop.  https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting-Quilt-N-Go-14-Inch-Frame/dp/B0052UN3PW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pvc%2Bquilting%2Bframe&qid=1694646546&sr=8-4&th=1 It's easy to reposition across the quilt, and I can allow the weight of the quilt to sit in my lap as I hand stitch. Using a standing frame changes the mechanics of stitching with more pressure on my shoulders and forearms. 

ETA: This is their floor frame version of the same pvc style setup.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is so much personal preference.  My preference is for the white pvc pipe style hand hoop.  https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting-Quilt-N-Go-14-Inch-Frame/dp/B0052UN3PW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=pvc%2Bquilting%2Bframe&qid=1694646546&sr=8-4&th=1 It's easy to reposition across the quilt, and I can allow the weight of the quilt to sit in my lap as I hand stitch. Using a standing frame changes the mechanics of stitching with more pressure on my shoulders and forearms. 

ETA: This is their floor frame version of the same pvc style setup.

How large of a quilt can you do with the hand hoop?  I was silly enough to think that if I was going to try quilting I might as well make a quilt large enough to get some good use out of--not realizing how cumbersome it was going to be when I am still learning the basics.  But, then again, I was trying to hand quilt when it was 108 degrees outside which also wasn't the best idea.

I’ve done king sized. It isn’t the frame that holds all of the pieces together—it’s already pinned or basted. The frame just holds tension in the area you are quilting giving you a smooth and easy stitching surface. 

I usually roll my basted quilt into two rolls and then let that weight sit around me rather than on me in the summer. 

If you are brand spanking new to quilting, start with placemats or lap quilts/baby blankets as you get the knack of things. Hand quilting a quilt is a huge time commitment. You’ll want a rewarding payoff. There’s a reason most of us machine quilt also. 😉 

Also, I usually thread up 5-6 needles at a time. As a baby stitcher, it will be easier to stitch with medium length threads and switch needles more often than to try to stitch with long lengths of thread.

• Like 1

I reccomend doing a hand quilting course at a quilting workshop place.. I am a real pennypincher and do absolutly everything by myself but paid for the course and found there were so many pre quilting steps that are absolutely vital to the finished product. 

For me it took about 2 months to hand quilt a single bed quilt and 6 months to do a double bed size. That was with the absolute minimum quilting 

Edited by Melissa in Australia