Menu

Cat knowledgeable people—need help

MEmama

It's the inner eyelid, I think, and sometimes can be due to a fever. It'll probably revert to normal soon. 

*I am not a vet, or anything remotely similar, but a longtime cat owner and this happens from time to time, and goes away, but also we are "wait and see" types with our pets, so if you are a "take them to the vet all the time" person, maybe go ahead and go in....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree that it's her third eyelids. IME it means she's not feeling well, but it doesn't point to any specific things. I'd take her in. We don't have cats now, but when we did and their third eyelids showed it generally meant they felt really crummy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

generally meant they felt really crummy.

Oh no! 😞 

She actually seems fine, though now that I think about it she's been a little testy with the other cats at times. But she's still playful and eats well and finds new cute places to sleep and pose for photos (😻) so I wasn't overly concerned.

I'll try to get in her in early next week for sure.

I wonder if Frisco brought a little virus back with her from the shelter. She had an eye thing that's cleared up, and so did Ava Max, but this looks different. 

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Oh no! 😞 

She actually seems fine, though now that I think about it she's been a little testy with the other cats at times. But she's still playful and eats well and finds new cute places to sleep and pose for photos (😻) so I wasn't overly concerned.

I'll try to get in her in early next week for sure.

I wonder if Frisco brought a little virus back with her from the shelter. She had an eye thing that's cleared up, and so did Ava Max, but this looks different. 

Yep, it's the third eyelid. Cats generally don't show pain or that they are feeling unwell and I think of the third eyelid as the first indicator that something is going on. If I can't determine what that might be, I will wait and see. Sometimes whatever is bothering them will clear up on it's own or whatever is wrong will show more symptoms so there is less of a guessing game when we go to the vet. I hope you kitty feels better soon! I hate when mine are ill. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Yep, it's the third eyelid. Cats generally don't show pain or that they are feeling unwell and I think of the third eyelid as the first indicator that something is going on. If I can't determine what that might be, I will wait and see. Sometimes whatever is bothering them will clear up on it's own or whatever is wrong will show more symptoms so there is less of a guessing game when we go to the vet. I hope you kitty feels better soon! I hate when mine are ill. 

Thanks. I'll watch it over the weekend and call the vet on Monday if it hasn't cleared up. At least she doesn't seem bothered.

When Frisco came home with us she brought home a virus of some sort; the vet wasn't concerned but did mention it could spread to the other kitties. A week or two later Ava had an eye issue--it looked like she was winking for a few days-- and it cleared up after several days. I'd guess now it's Kitty's turn. Poor babies. 😞 

I'd never heard of the third eyelid before. Cats never cease to amaze me. 💕

• Like 2