Menu

-52 wind chill here.

So I probably shouldn't mention that it was in the 70's the past couple of days and I even had to turn on the air in the car. :001_unsure: It was really hard to get in the Christmas spirit as I was sweating while out shopping.

Believe it or not, you have my sympathies! I'd miss winter SO MUCH if I were to move south!

Merry Christmas!

:grouphug: Loosing the power is now one of my big winter fears too. I'm so grateful for indoor heat today. Stay warm everybody.

I had fears all night that the power would go out, which gave into fears about our house freezing up . . . I barely slept.

We've been in this grip for quite awhile and it looks like it's going to hang on into next week too. I am so ready for spring!

Ugh.....while I dont think I could handle negative temperatures, I sure do wish it felt a little more like Christmas down here in FL! It's supposed to be 77 on Christmas Day. How Christmas-y can you feel wandering around in shorts???!!!!! I wish we had cooler weather here! When I watch Christmas movies and see the snow fluttering down, the snow covered trees, the people dressed in their warm winter hats....I get jealous! I would SOOOO love to have a white Christmas.

You are -52 and we are 54 with a high of 63 later today. Tomorrow is going to be absolutely, unbearably freezing with a high of 46! But Christmas day will be 74.

I'm glad you like your temps. :) I can't even fathom living anywhere near something like that.

I did, for too long. After I read your post I realized the wind chill was about 100 degrees warmer here. And I'm chilly right now.

I am glad there are plenty of people who enjoy living in the colder weather, otherwise it'd be even more crowded down here in the south. :D

I saw turtlenecks at Wal-mart today and I thought why? It doesn't get that cold here.

I had fears all night that the power would go out, which gave into fears about our house freezing up . . . I barely slept.

We've been in this grip for quite awhile and it looks like it's going to hang on into next week too. I am so ready for spring!

We heat with wood, have a generator, and could live w/o electricity for days if we had to--but it would not be fun. I hope everyone stays warm!

Jean

Brrr!! Church is canceled.

Even the cows and donkeys are not out eating hay--they are hiding in the shed. The cats are curled up by the wood stove.

We are finally on Christmas break. :party:

:) Jean

And my dad wonders why he can't convince me to move back to WI?!?!?! Not that he lives there in the winter.....:lol:

It hurt to breathe outside.

Oh, yes! Hurting to breathe. I pull my head inside my Lands' End coat and breath the air that is warmed by my body--but I have to be wearing my contacts or my glasses fog up and freeze over. Sometimes I take my asthma med before I head outside. LOL!

Not as bad as my sis had in Fairbanks or my bil had on the North Slope in AK, and there are a lot of Canadians on this board that could tell stories around us, I'm sure!

Jean

Our first winter in CT we had a 3 week period where the windchill was between -20 and -40 every single day. The dog refused to go out more than absolutely necessary.

We have been subjected to high winds lately. The other day it was about 70, but the winds were wild. Today the temps is dropping and the wind is picking up again. We are going to have to call a roofer to replace some shingles since they are starting to litter the yard (our house is the highest in the area on top of a hill).

I fed the birds 1st and then I fed the donkeys and brushed the snow off of them--correction, Penelope was being an asinus, and I only brushed the snow off Cotton's back (they are desert animals and I try to make them more comfortable by not having snow and ice on their backs all winter long). I had on my Australian Uggs, snow pants, heavy coat, hat, face scarf and gloves...and was comfortable! The only problem? The snow was so deep in places that I didn't know if I'd be able to take another step!

Winter. Ain't it great?

Jean

Jean, I want to thank your for giving me another comeback to counter ds. I asked if he wanted to go outside and play basketball, it's 55 degrees here. "No, Mom, it's too cold." I said "I don't want to hear it, it's 100 degrees warmer here than Wisconsin, so go play outside."

Dh was also in the room and he said, "Yeah, hear that?" :D

Jean, I want to thank your for giving me another comeback to counter ds. I asked if he wanted to go outside and play basketball, it's 55 degrees here. "No, Mom, it's too cold." I said "I don't want to hear it, it's 100 degrees warmer here than Wisconsin, so go play outside."

Dh was also in the room and he said, "Yeah, hear that?" :D

:lol:

Oh... and about global warming... the earth has cooling cycles (7-10 years?) when it is farther from the sun. This year is one of those. The summer was not as hot this year either. Anyone notice? http://www.nowpublic.com/environment/ccccccccooolddd-photo-01

Here is a link to a chart of temperatures this year.

I have not researched this... DH was telling me about it. I'll see if I can find something more.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Does it keep the water from freezing then, heat it up?

I do feel sorry for them that they have to go out there at all when it is this cold though.

The heated water dish does not keep the water warm, but it does keep it from freezing over (I can't promise it will keep it thawed in below zero weather, though--depends upon the brand). If the cats are healthy, have a place to get out of the wind, have a box to snuggle into to stay warm, and get plenty of food and water, they can be outside all winter long. They are hardy creatures. When they get old, though, the cold weather seems to bother them more--but even my 14yo mama kitty does O.K. with the snow as long as she has a place to snuggle into. My cats crawl under the garage door and sleep in a big dogloo (bought at a garage sale) filled with straw in the back corner of an unattached, cold garage. For those who do not like the dogloo (or the other cats), I have a couple of rubbermaid tubs with cat-sized holes cut into the sides that are partially filled with straw.

I also give them their distemper shots in the fall--it seems the vet says this not only helps them fight distemper but helps their immune system fight respiratory illnesses.

FWIW,

Jean

It has warmed up to -25 degrees here. Too late for us, though, as all the pipes are frozen and one has broken already. We have hot water heat, too. We came home from church this morning (dh read at both services, so we were gone a long while) to no water. The heat will be done anytime now.

Poor dh is in the crawl space in this cold...

The good news is that I cleaned up the pre-Christmas-wrapping-and-baking mess (most of it) yesterday, so the stream of people (thank God for friends!) through the house aren't seeing it at its worst.

The heated water dish does not keep the water warm, but it does keep it from freezing over (I can't promise it will keep it thawed in below zero weather, though--depends upon the brand). If the cats are healthy, have a place to get out of the wind, have a box to snuggle into to stay warm, and get plenty of food and water, they can be outside all winter long. They are hardy creatures. When they get old, though, the cold weather seems to bother them more--but even my 14yo mama kitty does O.K. with the snow as long as she has a place to snuggle into. My cats crawl under the garage door and sleep in a big dogloo (bought at a garage sale) filled with straw in the back corner of an unattached, cold garage. For those who do not like the dogloo (or the other cats), I have a couple of rubbermaid tubs with cat-sized holes cut into the sides that are partially filled with straw.

I also give them their distemper shots in the fall--it seems the vet says this not only helps them fight distemper but helps their immune system fight respiratory illnesses.

FWIW,

Jean

Thank you! They are in the house for the most part, and go to the garage for food and litter box, because it makes such a mess in the house. I put a bowl of water on the bathroom countertop for them. I don't feel so bad that they have to go out there now.

It has warmed up to -25 degrees here. Too late for us, though, as all the pipes are frozen and one has broken already. We have hot water heat, too. We came home from church this morning (dh read at both services, so we were gone a long while) to no water. The heat will be done anytime now.

Poor dh is in the crawl space in this cold...

The good news is that I cleaned up the pre-Christmas-wrapping-and-baking mess (most of it) yesterday, so the stream of people (thank God for friends!) through the house aren't seeing it at its worst.

How miserable! Hope things are back to normal soon! :grouphug:

Brrr!! Church is canceled.

Even the cows and donkeys are not out eating hay--they are hiding in the shed. The cats are curled up by the wood stove.

We are finally on Christmas break. :party:

:) Jean

-52?

I can't even imagine. I thought it was cold here this morning at around 8 degrees. Oh boy.

-52?

I can't even imagine. I thought it was cold here this morning at around 8 degrees. Oh boy.

This morning we have -10 again, but the wind is just 4mph--that is only -20 wind chill. Must be a heat wave :)

Hubby and the boys need to breed cattle today. Won't that be fun?

Brrrr. Hot cocoa for them when they get back in!

Jean

This morning we have -10 again, but the wind is just 4mph--that is only -20 wind chill. Must be a heat wave :)

Hubby and the boys need to breed cattle today. Won't that be fun?

Brrrr. Hot cocoa for them when they get back in!

Jean

Do they do AI? I think that is what we will do for our cow once she calves. It's a whole new world for us--big learning curve!