Menu

Finally Entering the "Terrible Teens"

Kris

Yes -- several years late, but the day I have dreaded all this time has finally arrived. My son is acting like a TEENAGER! He has been a *total turd* for the past week or two. I knew it was coming. I knew I would not be spared. I've been walking on eggshells for the past three or four years, knowing one day, yes, one day it would happen!

He went to bed one night my funny, cool, neet, agreeable kid and woke up a stomping, eye-rolling, sighing, abused, put-upon, hormonal Drama -- King? Overnight, nothing I say is right. Nothing I do is good enough. Nothing I want done is reasonable. Every question I ask is an interrogation.

I am, basically, in the way, since I was stupid enough to teach him how to cook. :banghead:

Yes -- several years late, but the day I have dreaded all this time has finally arrived. My son is acting like a TEENAGER! He has been a *total turd* for the past week or two. I knew it was coming. I knew I would not be spared. I've been walking on eggshells for the past three or four years, knowing one day, yes, one day it would happen!

He went to bed one night my funny, cool, neet, agreeable kid and woke up a stomping, eye-rolling, sighing, abused, put-upon, hormonal Drama -- King? Overnight, nothing I say is right. Nothing I do is good enough. Nothing I want done is reasonable. Every question I ask is an interrogation.

I am, basically, in the way, since I was stupid enough to teach him how to cook. :banghead:

:lol:

I am still in denial about my sweet teenagers...but the signs are there!

I hear it passes, thank goodness.

I have FOUR of them here.....even the one with autism and minimal language (he is also the tallest and glowers the meanest.....!!!)

I am now patterning myself after Ma Cody in White Heat with a little Marie Barone thrown in. Those kids may be (all but one and she is almost there) taller than me BUT they shall fear me!!!!

When I started homeschooling I was so confident that I would bypass this awful stage with my younger children. After all, I thought, they wouldn't be in that breeding ground of discontent known as school, so where would they get the attitude?

Well, I guess the attitude found my sweet son somehow. I'm hoping to get through this, but my older daughter had already worn me out, so my patience is thin.

Good luck to you!

I am still in denial about my sweet teenagers...but the signs are there!

I hear it passes, thank goodness.

Considering the population, I can only assume it passes before either the kids or the parents become homicidal, though I'm starting to understand why some animals eat their young. :D

I have FOUR of them here.....even the one with autism and minimal language (he is also the tallest and glowers the meanest.....!!!)

I am now patterning myself after Ma Cody in White Heat with a little Marie Barone thrown in. Those kids may be (all but one and she is almost there) taller than me BUT they shall fear me!!!!

You win! I don't know what I'd do with four! :lol:

My son does not fear me. Hard as I try, he makes me laugh and I am undone. Hopefully, we'll be able to laugh our way out of this mess. :D

It might be a good time for dh to have a little talk with ds about respecting his mother and behaving like a man not a child. We've had great success with this gentle approach.

Ah! Good idea! Sweetie is home for the holidays -- maybe that can be my Christmas present. :001_smile:

When I started homeschooling I was so confident that I would bypass this awful stage with my younger children. After all, I thought, they wouldn't be in that breeding ground of discontent known as school, so where would they get the attitude?

It floats around in the air -- no one is safe. :D

I do admit, though, I was *beginning* to think we might escape. After all, he'll be seventeen next June! But, alas, here we are. Maybe it's like dogs smelling fear -- he sensed that I was beginning to feel relieved and thought he better do something about that?

Well, I guess the attitude found my sweet son somehow. I'm hoping to get through this, but my older daughter had already worn me out, so my patience is thin.

Good luck to you!

Thanks! And back to you! Here's hoping your patience can last just a *little* bit longer. :001_smile:

My mom and dad swear the teen years weren't as bad as everyone led them to believe... or maybe my brothers and I were just that good :D (good at hiding what we were up too?)

My oldest asked me yesterday if he was a teenager yet :tongue_smilie:. I asked him how old he was, "nine" says he. Now, count up until you hear "teen" as a part of your age... (he counts). So, when will you be a teenager? "thirteen" he sighs, as if his life's ambition has been crushed.

Keeping fingers crossed, and hoping for the best (although I know when oldest dd hits pre-puberty, we're both going to be a complete mess -- she was/is a very emotional girl already. I'm terrified just thinking about her when her hormones begin to go wonky!)

I really wanted love from my parents, but did I act like it?

I really had a hard time, too, but I did not have a good relationship with my parents even before I went hormonal. They always insisted that they loved us, and showed it by strict rules and belts. But there were no hugs to go with the rules. No spontaneous, "I love you Kiddo!" Nothing warm and fuzzy there. I don't have a perfect relationship with my son, but it's *much* better than what I grew up with. I'm really hoping that will help.

My son is 13 and showing signs of teenagerdom. I think it is easier to deal with when they act it out younger.

Oh, I hope so, for your sake -- and your son's!

I've wondered if it's really been going on all along, under the surface. He's always been so stoic that it's certainly possible. Maybe he's just reaching "critical mass" right now. I know he's frustrated because he feels like he's "all grown up," and yet being held back because really, he's not. Nothing new there -- that's been going on since time began. :001_smile:

I'm praying for you and your son now when I pray for mine.

Thank you for the positive thoughts. I really appreciate it!