Menu

Decluttering and homeschooling

I’m really stuck on books.  I’ve accumulated so much homeschool stuff & books and can’t seem to decide on anything.  We did a purge before my oldest started K.. 7 years ago.  But I also have a Pker this year.  Have you ever done a major major purge in the middle of homeschooling your children?  

Edited by Nm.

It's one of the big reasons I jump through the hoops and attend a homeschool charter school. I give back all the stuff I don't or aren't using continuously. Is there a homeschool library or something you could donate to so maybe it'd still "be there" but not have to be in your house. (There is actually one nearby for me where homeschoolers who can't borrow stuff from their charter schools or aren't affiliated with a school can use.)

• Like 1

Yes.

I kept things that were nonconsumable and I loved.  Even now, they're on my shelf and find use being loaned out.  But my oldest and youngest are a decade apart.  It didn't make sense to keep programs that may be revised or updated during that time, so I gave them to people who appreciated them.  I learned to appreciate the room on my bookshelf slightly more than the potential savings I may have had.

That said, my bookshelves are crammed, and everything is still well used even though I don't homeschool anymore.  I kept the things we treasured or were very useful, but got rid of most curriculum guides and workbooks.

• Like 2

Maybe try it this way:

Imagine a local family loses everything in a fire. They homeschool, with one kid in each grade. They really need materials to start the new year.

What would you not mind pulling out to give them?

• Like 2

Dropped off two medium bags full of curriculum to local library for their book sale 🥳.  Helping support the library and less mental clutter!  Too bad it’s stuff that was already in a tote to eventually go and not on my shelf- but it’s a start.  No more looking through it!

I don’t have a homeschool library.

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 2

• Nm. changed the title to Decluttering and homeschooling

I was constantly decluttering hsing stuff and everything else in the house, too.  

One of the ways I avoided burnout was to declare days off randomly where dc and I would declutter and reorganize our house.  After we did that, we would take the stuff to the appropriate places - dump, Goodwill, library, etc. - and stop somewhere to do something fun on the way home.  Usually a playground, field, drive through the nearby national forests, explore the area, get something to eat, whatever.

• Like 3

I've never done a major purge, but every year I'm able to get rid of a few things. For me or becomes easier once child #2 ages past the items: with child #1 I'm still figuring things out, but if I didn't use it for child #2 either then I'm definitely not going to use it for the rest of them. So, anything labeled as 4th grade or below (or general books that I would assign in the elementary years) that we didn't use for either child can go this year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been purging so much.  Next on my mind to get rid of is apologia elementary books.  I’m thinking I should donate them.  I doubt they’d sell for much.

Edited by Nm.

30 minutes ago, Nm. said:

I’ve been purging so much.  Next on my mind to get rid of is apologia elementary books.  I’m thinking I should donate them.  I doubt they’d sell for much.

Actually, mine sold fast. I think I priced them between 12-15 dollars plus shipping.  I was surprised. I use EBay.  

• Like 3

I just listed mine… thank you!! Right around that price.  I saw a YouTube review recently of someone saying they loved apologia- so maybe there’ll be an influx of buyers 😅.

Edited by Nm.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Dove said:

I try to get rid of “twaddle” books every once in a while. The problem is that every single one of them are some child’s “favorites.” Hahaha So I end up getting rid of none of them. 

This was always my problem, too. This move, the kids are all teens and I just finally got rid of those books. 

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

My trunk is full today of curriculum I’ll never use!!!  Still debating on science in the beginning.  Could be a good one next year.  Apologia, Sonlight Manuals, Story of the World plus random stuff are all going.   

• Like 1

I started sorting out stuff last week!  Youngest in K-1st, but there is a 6vyear gap.  Do I really need to keep all these high school level math books???? NO!  Will I?  Very possibly.   I'll offer to l9an them out ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Mine are all right behind each other.  I’m *trying* to only keeping what I absolutely know I’m going to use.  So tired of the mental clutter.  I used to worry about trying to sell it all.  I don’t care anymore 😆 

Edited by Nm.

I'm not ready to do this but I can see a time on the horizon when I might. I'm stupid sentimental and keep lots of old stuff for that reason. Maybe I'll just let it sit in my well-organized attic and my kids can pitch it when they clean out my stuff. For me it's something about celebrating my time and efforts when nobody else will - I don't get a gold watch or a retirement fund or even a "well-done!" from hubby but I can remember the love and the "eureka" moments when I look at it.

• Like 1