Menu

Incoming freshman - check in here

mlktwins

On 11/15/2023 at 5:08 AM, chiguirre said:

She met with her General Ed advisor (who is distinct from her CS advisor) to see what would transfer and how to meet the distributional requirements. The guy doesn't seem to have read the UF catalog. It very clearly states which CLEPs/DSSTs fulfill which requirements.

Tell your daughter to check her Degreeworks (or equivalent) account. See that her CLEP/DSST/AP results and community college credits are all posted there. My DS18’s CS advisor asked him for a copy of his AP score report because admin takes quite some time to update all incoming students records on the school portal. His advisor end up having to get his community college transcript via email too as the credits were not uploaded in time for their first meeting. 
Is your daughter’s CS under engineering or science faculty? My kid has AP scores that are usable if his major is under letters of arts and sciences but not for engineering. We knew that though. 

• Like 3

@Eos we are driving 7++ hours down to meet DS18 for thanksgiving so I understand. His birthday is on the 1st so it would be the first birthday he won’t be home. We’ll probably celebrate DS18 and DS17’s birthday (5th) during Thanksgiving. I’m just thankful their winter break is 3 weeks.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, idnib said:

DS is also negotiating his way to the airport by train. Luckily he train comes in at one of the airport levels. 

Make sure he has those rideshare apps installed. Once I was on my way to SFO to meet my husband and Caltrain had to stop because of a car on the tracks. People in a rush had to Uber/Lyft or take a cab. Its rare but safer to be prepared. My DS18 is used to SFO craziness so we are used to being 3hrs early even for domestic flights. Ironically, I have more trust in the speed of SFO’s international terminal customs than their domestic terminal customs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Make sure he has those rideshare apps installed. Once I was on my way to SFO to meet my husband and Caltrain had to stop because of a car on the tracks. People in a rush had to Uber/Lyft or take a cab. Its rare but safer to be prepared. My DS18 is used to SFO craziness so we are used to being 3hrs early even for domestic flights. Ironically, I have more trust in the speed of SFO’s international terminal customs than their domestic terminal customs.

Good idea!

• Like 1

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

My kiddo has her last final today before a 6 week break.  She is busing out of the big city on her own tomorrow for the first time to her older sibling's about 3 hours from her.  We are going to meet them there and have a couple days over there before we come back home.  We have several fun things planned!  

I don't think this kid's first term could have gone much better.  She LOVES LOVES LOVES everything about college and being in the big city.  

• Like 7

I’m leaving tomorrow to pick up ds! Excited to see him. He’s been more communicative lately so I think it will be a good break. 

He did well on his Calculus exam so I think he’s finding his footing and should be able to keep his scholarship. As long as he keeps taking things seriously. 

• Like 7

I'll pick my freshmen up tomorrow in a long driving day to a university in a neighborhood state and airport arrivals at the closest major airport. Everyone sounds happy, but no one has said bupkis about how grades are going. 😬 We'll see how well they maintain eye contact when I ask how grades are.

• Like 10

We are at the hotel near DS18’s campus. Dinner was TJ (Trader Joe’s) party size meatballs, TJ thai shrimp gyoza, TJ carrots and homemade kimchi  🤣 I5 was hot on the way here so when we reached the hotel, all the TJ frozen stuff were partially thawed. “Appetizer” was TJ masala burger patties.  My husband wants to go shopping tomorrow at 6am 🤦‍♀️

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We had both students home for thanksgiving and had a great time. Freshman is doing well and enjoying college life. I think like high school she is spending more time with extracurriculars- dance but recognizes she is at a tough college and putting in the work. I’m so proud of both of them. 

• Like 8

It was so sweet having dd home this week. I totally cried dropping her off at the airport (after she left). Only 2 more weeks until Christmas break . . . in which time she has finals and a competition in Nebraska so will be busy for her. Can't wait to have her home for 3 whole weeks! 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Arcadia said:

DS18 wanted to know his weight but my husband doesn't want to bring our bathroom scale all the way there so we bought the cheapest one from Target. DS18 and DS17 has the same weight. 

My dd is in a weight category sport-- I think a bathroom scale might have been her first college purchase 😝

• Like 2

Dd just got a job tutoring the language she is majoring in. Hooray! I need to get her a second form of identification for the I9 form. 

We had said she should hold off on a job for the first semester, but her professor recommended her to the tutoring center, so she’s going ahead with it. Won’t be too many hours, but Dd likes one on one work and she could use the income to fund her coffee habit! 😊

• Like 7

7 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Dd just got a job tutoring the language she is majoring in. Hooray! I need to get her a second form of identification for the I9 form. 

We had said she should hold off on a job for the first semester, but her professor recommended her to the tutoring center, so she’s going ahead with it. Won’t be too many hours, but Dd likes one on one work and she could use the income to fund her coffee habit! 😊

That's great!  That seems very different than a job at the dining hall, etc, since it's within her major - good for helping her learn at the next level and good on her resume.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, idnib said:

DS's first (partial) snow day. All classes that started before 10:00am were cancelled due to commute problems.

I keep wondering how a CA kid finding Cleveland. Is he happy with Case? Financials don’t work out for us,  but DS2 is thinking he can get more money through music. Just curious what the atmosphere is like at Case. 

On 11/28/2023 at 12:02 PM, Roadrunner said:

I keep wondering how a CA kid finding Cleveland. Is he happy with Case? Financials don’t work out for us,  but DS2 is thinking he can get more money through music. Just curious what the atmosphere is like at Case. 

He's really happy with Case. It's not for everyone, but I think he's specifically the kind of kid it's for. He really enjoys the classes and there's a fair amount of hand holding and reminding as far as administration stuff, which is not his strong suit. He is also not a person who cares much about things like school spirit, sports, etc so while some kids miss it compared to say OH State, he does not. (A lot of kids are local-ish to Case, and so I think they tend to make that comparison more than he does.) He loves the maker space and how welcoming the clubs are. He's not a super social person and prefers to have a few close friends and he found a group fairly quickly, which was nice. The dorms are not that fancy compared to more modern dorms but he's not there much so it doesn't bother him. He hasn't had much time to explore off campus, although he did make a few trips here and there.

He also likes that you don't apply to a specific major and he has lots of options, like a 3-2 program, double majors (which are encouraged), and strong possibilities for doing research. It's definitely a research-heavy school, I think the stat is 80+% of undergrads do some research.

All in all, he feels he's where he belongs and is very happy. I agree the financials are steep, even with merit aid.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Not about first year dd but grad student dd - I'm going to pick her up today but all of a sudden I think I might have covid, ugh.  I've been tickly-throat coughing all night though don't feel too bad.  We can both mask for the 8 hour drive home.  Not great.

• Sad 5

8 hours ago, Eos said:

I've been tickly-throat coughing all night though don't feel too bad

DS18’s bad cold in early October was flu. The health service ran the covid/flu/rsv test on him. My friend’s son needed 10 day dosage of amoxicillin to get well. Hopefully yours is just a mild cold.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

DS18 turn 19 today. The dining hall has his favorites (salmon, clam chowder, curly fries) for lunch so he had a good meal 🙂

Also, when we drove down for thanksgiving, I forgot to bring my Apple Watch charger. We bought a keychain apple watch charger from Nordstrom Rack there for $9 and it worked well. Its a lot more convenient than carrying around the actual watch charger. 
66E4BD9A-02CE-460F-9C65-73FD51F08BBB.thumb.jpeg.d051311c61fbd739af523c6825f492a3.jpeg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I pick ds up Friday! According to his BeReal he is studying hard lol. Dd (junior year) gets home Saturday from Canada. We haven’t seen her since August. My oldest, who works, also comes Sat. He’ll be home for two weeks bc he’s working remotely for a few days. So it will be a full noisy house. Quite a change bc youngest dd, although a talker, is pretty calm and steady and quiet. My four together—-NOT quiet—loud, silly and funny. 

• Like 6

Currently sitting at my kitchen table while my college dd played piano, her boyfriend who came home with her for the week on guitar and younger dd singing. Man, I have missed her. The dynamic is so different with her gone. I am so proud of the life she is making for herself, but man I miss her! planning on soaking up every minute of Christmas break! ❤️

• Like 9

Yay! So far ds’s grades are good—2 A’s and an A- so far. Just Calculus and PE left. Calc has been harder than it should have been ( as he took it last year) but he’s gotten it together. I’m so proud of him! We both needed to know he could do this on his own. One funny- he texted me his Chem grade and asked me what grade it was. I said I didn’t know that it depended on the grading scale. He said—ugh, his best girl friend said the same thing. Lol so glad he’s got a sensible friend!Anyway, unless something goes really wrong with Calc, he should easily keep his scholarship and have a cushion. Phew—I was not sure that would happen!!!

• Like 8

• 5 weeks later...

So how was break with your freshman? Gone back to school yet? 

We had a lovely month and I miss Dd already! She had a bit of homesickness her first day or two back bc there’s not all the hype that there is in the fall and her ec activities hadn’t started and January weather is blah. I think she’ll be better this coming week. 

• Like 6

BK1 and her girlfriend joined us often for outings and movies, drained our gas tanks, ran up fast pass charges, and enlivened our wintry days.

She landed a good job just before she came home and is already working. The hours are reasonable, 12-20/week, and the distance from campus is manageable. She also got her own cell phone plan and means to start taking on more adult financial obligations. DH is not happy about this but I find it entirely appropriate.

DH would have preferred she pay toward her share of our bill but DD really wanted her own. I think that solution makes more sense with the car insurance but what do I know?🙄

ETA: DD is also doing her own taxes today which is...WOOT! STELLAR! Her first semester grades were right on track for her, still transfer/dual-degree eligible if she wants so that's good. She'll be better off when she gets the GenEds out of the way and can just have math and science classes.

She'd been waitlisted for one course but got in. Her bill is paid for the term. Now, ahh... I get to relax for a half a minute. DD just needs to complete her VA forms this spring so the fed funds can flow on autopilot while we get DS up and running.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7

My son got mediocre grades — he passed everything and only got one D!  The D was touch and go.  

He doesn’t like college, he doesn’t think his intended major is right for him anymore.  

He applied for vo-tech in December.  Here the admissions cycle for that is — apply in the Fall, interview and find out if you are accepted in the Spring, classes start in mid-August.  

He applied for a computer program, it seems like a good fit for him. 

He’s living with my parents, and it’s a good fit, he is actually very helpful to them.  

He told me recently, he wants to get a work-from-home job and stay with my parents for as long as he can.  

He’s not going back to college for this semester.  There’s a new situation where my mom’s health has declined and she needs more help, he may be more of a caretaker for the next period of time, instead of looking for a job.  We are going to see how things go with my mom.  

He has talked to one relative who has a job with computer certifications, and I have talked to a woman at my church who has a late-20s son who didn’t want to go to college and went to a computer program at this vo-tech.  It seems like a good option for him.  The late-20s son is self-supporting and enjoys his job, it is a 9-5 job and not stressful…  the relative’s job is more “on call 24 hours a day, also he manages a team” but he is also paid a lot more (lol).  I would guide my son towards “9-5 and not stressful” if it were up to me, that is his personality.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lecka said:

It seems like a good option for him.

I imagine this is stressful to watch, as a parent, but I'm impressed that he has selected what looks like a workable plan for going forward. So many times people seem to get mired in rejecting the thing that is not working for them and seem unable to look forward. I hope things work out as he would like.

My ds also got "okay" grades. Since he doesn't seem to have any interest in graduate school or a super-selective career, none of us are particularly worked up. I burned that Straight A, Superstar Scholar dream years ago. Now I feel content just watching him transition to being an adult (🤞🤞)

Edited by Miss Tick
  • Like 7

On 12/13/2023 at 4:54 PM, freesia said:

Yay! So far ds’s grades are good—2 A’s and an A- so far. Just Calculus and PE left. Calc has been harder than it should have been ( as he took it last year) but he’s gotten it together. I’m so proud of him! We both needed to know he could do this on his own. One funny- he texted me his Chem grade and asked me what grade it was. I said I didn’t know that it depended on the grading scale. He said—ugh, his best girl friend said the same thing. Lol so glad he’s got a sensible friend!Anyway, unless something goes really wrong with Calc, he should easily keep his scholarship and have a cushion. Phew—I was not sure that would happen!!!

Following up—he did keep his scholarship so that is a relief. He’s back and very very happy. Christmas break was so great—it’s like I had my old boy back—funny and kind. Covid and adolescence had really taken a toll on him and us so I am feeling a ton of relief. 

• Like 9

I got a 93% average on my first 3 exams (both of the Biology ones and the first one about Water). If my coursework was getting that sort of grade, I'd be well on target for a Distinction (the highest grade this course carries), but they're not, and I'm not. A high-level Pass* looks increasingly likely.

* - Fail is the only other result given for these modules. If for some reason I wanted that Fail on my transcript at this point, I'd have to either forget to submit the final coursework item altogether - that's an automatic zero - or average 14% on every remaining item of coursework and every remaining exam.

The two optional modules I planned to do (about AI and computer audio) have been completed and were awarded 100%. I am currently seeking further challenges.

The highlight of the course so far in 2024 was doing a scientific experiment at a friend's house (the friend enjoyed being a "lab assistant"). Unfortunately I'm not allowed to share what that experiment was due to coursework rules, because it would have made a good science experiment for a homeschool science lab (some of you might even have done the experiment before).

I've got a Plan A and a Plan B for how to progress after this course. The Plan B is is being considered due to certain complications that have developed on this course, combined with a new opportunity to finish my intended degree that might have a more useful module combination than the proposed final year plan for the Plan A pathway. If I do Plan B, there's three different points at which I could opt into it, so no hurry to make a decision, but this will inform some of the optional studies I plan to do.

• Like 5

On 1/13/2024 at 7:58 AM, ScoutTN said:

So how was break with your freshman? Gone back to school yet? 

DS19 had three weeks of winter break and classes started back Jan 8th. He was happy to sleep in during winter break and basically catch up on sleep. He didn’t sleep well last week at dorm so he woke up late on Saturday and slept 11hrs last night. Tomorrow is MLK day so he gets to wake up late. DS18’s community college winter break was the same timing so both boys were happily chatting with each other.

• Like 7

Mine is really thriving. Straight A’s. More sure of his major. “Mind blowing” is how he describes almost every physics class. Amazing faculty and the department. Only thing he despises is general Ed - dumb, massive classes, dumb again. Otherwise we couldn’t be happier. He is back on campus really engaged. 

• Like 10

Sent dd back to school sick. She ended up with a 105 fever and had to go to urgent care. Flu and strep. Yuck had to miss some classes the first week back. Then they had a snow storm where they don't get snow so classes canceled today. She went to the boyfriends parents house an hour a way and is having fun with the white stuff (Florida here so not much of that experience). Her first semester went well, all A's but one B (she claims the prof didn't like her) oh well. last English class and on to mostly major and minor classes now. I can't fathom not seeing her until spring break in March so I'm going to see if I can work out a weekend trip before. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Mine is also thriving.  She is currently doing a cool winter term project in NYC, archival research at the Lincoln Center on a particular dance choreographer. She was in and out of our house visiting friends and staying over during Christmas time, we missed her even when she was home!  Older dd was also home for extended break but leaving on Tuesday.  Freshman dd will have another week here after her winter term project ends then back to school til Easter.  She did get the highest possible grades and was experiencing that homeschooler "huh" when she read them. We are really proud and grateful for her successful transition.

• Like 4

Mine is doing all right. All A's last semester but really needed to rest and get back on a regular sleeping/eating schedule. He gets involved in projects and forgets to eat. He had a great month long break. We really enjoyed having him home and he got to catch up with his high school friends. He was excited to start his new classes this semester, including his new minor. However, he has been iced in and classes have been virtual since last Friday! Just solid ice on the roads, not even fun snow. He's in a dorm and the dining hall has been open with a skeleton crew for takeout meals twice a day.  Kid thought I was being dramatic sending him thermal underwear via amazon when I saw the forecast last week, but he appreciates it now. 😆

• Like 4